Sign in to follow this  
Guest jks

Euro Exchange Rate Not Looking Good For The Summer

not sure,going to hit the phone tomorrow to see where we can get in. shouldn't be a rush on!!!,we want to go round the canterbury area,small site cl/cs if poss

look up monks cottage, Faversham.

pete

Edited by scimitar

Pound at its lowest level for donkey's years: Euro is strengthening: parity is looking likely to come soon: so says the 6 o'clock news.

But: The real difference in what is available to spend on an average two/three week holiday is not a lot different (see previous posts)

Europe is generally cheaper than the UK, even if prices are higher than they were, especially as UK prices are rising too.

Some areas of the Eurozone are still very very cheap, particularly former Eastern Bloc and former Yugoslavia.

Perhaps this is the year to make use of cheaper diesel in Europe and go to Slovenia/Croatia?

We are in Portugal, and most things we pay for with Nationwide CC - at the moment we are getting 1. 22 Euro to the £1 - plus most food is a lot cheaper, and fresher than in the UK, Diesel in Portugal is about !.39 euro, but in Spain, some 18 kilometres away it is 1. 28 = and to cap it all, the camp site is reducing our price by 30% for March, and 40% for April. We are having a cheap holiday.

Bought some euro this afternoon from I. C. E. and got 1. 455 to the £.

Oops! Try 1. 145.

No way I am going to cancel- 2 years in the planning, not concerned about the euro rate and definitely not concerned about the weather. I will be back by the middle of July so if it is good weather then all the better but if not i won't loose any sleep over it. Every time have gone Torrance, I am usually unlucky to holiday on a rubbish exchange rate so if it happens again, it happens again

I do agree with the other comments here though, there are loads of places in the uk to visit, I'm off to Scotland next year to explore, already decided that and I haven't even gone on this years holiday yet!!

Don't be too gloomy everyone. The rate always cycles annually in March 09 €1. 06, March 10 €1. 10, in June 11 €1. 12, and today €1. 16. The last year has seen a fall in the value of the €, but that looks on the up for the moment. Europe is still good value for us Brits in my opinion.

We are in Portugal, and most things we pay for with Nationwide CC - at the moment we are getting 1. 22 Euro to the £1

Perhaps you meant were getting 1. 22?

Nationwide use Visa and their exchange rate on 30th Jan was 1. 164

£ has dropped below 1. 15 for the first time in 15 months this afternoon and already the pundits are saying it will be even more doom and gloom in and around the med this summer with the Brits deciding to stay at home. ...

they are also saying it will hit German exports ( no doubt BMWs and Mercs)

Edited by moulin87

£ has dropped below 1. 15 for the first time in 15 months this afternoon and already the pundits are saying it will be even more doom and gloom in and around the med this summer with the Brits deciding to stay at home. ...

they are also saying it will hit German exports ( no doubt BMWs and Mercs)[/quote

I hope our manufacturers/exporters are ready to take advantage of it this time.

Every cloud MIGHT have a silver lining!

Yes, that's right - now down to 1. 16 - but still cheaper than being at home. The diesel has risen in Spain to 1. 309, and in Portugal 1. 419 - again still cheaper than in UK. But our Government insist we are on track - I'm not sure what track though !!!

Guest jks

Looks like it is getting worse. Will get some when I next go out.

Feeling a bit smug now. I bought my Euros in the middle of last month after posting "Buy Euros now?" on this forum.

David

It's an ill wind that blows no good.

As the £ drops the likes of Mr Tesco suddenly whats home produced food, This should change my red tractor to a black one, then I can have a holiday in France. I always live in hope

Got diesel in Aya Monte, SPain yesterday at 1. 309 at the Mercadona supermarket

Got diesel in Aya Monte, SPain yesterday at 1. 309 at the Mercadona supermarket

Far too far for me to travel to save 10 cents a litre :lol:

Only 17 km for me - we are in Tavira - makes a nice day out !!!

Everywhere is a nice day out down there, either side of the border. Jealous.

Everywhere is a nice day out down there, either side of the border. Jealous.

Ditto.

Won't stop me going, for the sake of a few £ more. after all can't take the money with me when I kick the bucket.

We took a lot of food with us when we went to France last year and this saved us quite a bit of money. Once we had used it up, we had plenty of room then in the car for the wine. :P

We will go again this year and I topped up our silver Camping Cheques card last September using the French site. With the exchange rate then, they cost £12 per cheque plus a small handling fee. I also have about 60 Euros left. I wish I had withdrawn more cash now!

We took a lot of food with us when we went to France last year and this saved us quite a bit of money. Once we had used it up, we had plenty of room then in the car for the wine. :P

We will go again this year and I topped up our silver Camping Cheques card last September using the French site. With the exchange rate then, they cost £12 per cheque plus a small handling fee. I also have about 60 Euros left. I wish I had withdrawn more cash now!

We used to do the same when going to France. However, on swopping to Spain we found prices wer similar if not cheaper than the UK so have stopped doing it, except for special items. I am happier as we do not have this large plastic box that weighs a ton in the back of the car anymore. However, my wife insisits on stocking up with enough toiletries to cover the whole trip as she says these are much more expensive in both France and Spain. She stocks through the winter with BOGOF deals etc. So i still have one heavy plastic box in the back.

I don't really understand this, the food in France is of a far better quality than ours, even if it is a bit more expensive. When I am on holiday I want local quality food! Not what I get in the UK. Just my thoughts

Edited by scimitar

Rocketed up yesterday, plummeted this afternoon, what is going on? Please debate. ...