Sign in to follow this  
Guest jks

Euro Exchange Rate Not Looking Good For The Summer

Guest jks

Inview of the falling £ to € exchange rate and the economic problems in France it might well be better to stay in the UK this summer.

We have booked a cheap ferry crossing but are now having second thoughts about using it.

Anybody else feeling the same?

We will go come hell or high water. Cheaper diesel etc and better weather with any luck

Depending upon destinations etc, you can save a small fortune by running toll free rather than the motorways.

Russell

What after the last two summers you've not had ? I'd have thought that allthough we are in hard times a few quid on the cost of your holiday ain't gonna change many minds.

Nb : disagree slightly with Russ though regards the use of Peage.

indoors.

Absolutely not! I'd still go to France if the exchange rate was 1 to 1!

Anyway, I shan't look at what the rate is until a day or two before we go -- a bit like I never look at the weather until we're setting off. Things can change a lot before then and I prefer not to worry about exchange rates and certainly won't get depressed about it at this stage. To me that's a bit like saying that the weather isn't looking good for May - at this time of year.

I'm a glass half full girl - always optimistic, and I know that even if the rate was a lot lower than it is we would still have our French holiday - we'd just spend less! With French campsites from 10 euros upwards for pitch, two adults, car and caravan, awning, and electricity, better weather in France and beautiful countryside, I ask myself where we could possibly get better!

With French campsites from 10 euros upwards for pitch, two adults, car and caravan, awning, and electricity, better weather in France and beautiful countryside, I ask myself where we could possibly get better!

Val

I'm surprised you have not come to join us permanently :)

We nearly did - about eight years ago - in the Gard, one of our favourite areas - but then my mum became ill, and then David's mum. .................! Now we no longer have either of them. But, these days we'd have trouble deciding where to buy, for ourselves, as there are so many lovely areas!

However, we do have the distinct advantage of having several friends with places in France - in a variety of locations! We have our own keys to one house, in the Aude, with the owner actually living in Cairo, and we can go down there whenever we want, so we have the best of both worlds! We've been down in Spring, Autumn and even in December, and it's idyllic all year round, albeit a bit further 'out' than we would choose for ourselves. Even better, he's now considering buying a second house in the Limousin - and we may meet him there this summer to look around a few places!

Edited by ValA

The Euro against the pound could change next week, fickle stuff exchange rates. The weather in France in Spring and Summer will be better, not quite so Fickle the weather difference.

A thought for you, the difference between 1. 16 and1. 23 for a £100 is £7. 00 SO if your holiday cost you £700 last week then it will cost you £749 now, so you would cancel a holiday for £50. .???? I don't think so

Guest jks

The Euro against the pound could change next week, fickle stuff exchange rates. The weather in France in Spring and Summer will be better, not quite so Fickle the weather difference.

A thought for you, the difference between 1. 16 and1. 23 for a £100 is £7. 00 SO if your holiday cost you £700 last week then it will cost you £749 now, so you would cancel a holiday for £50. .???? I don't think so

No you are right, we probably won't cancel but we won't be going again as we had originally intended. We are due a decent summer here. ;)

I was really taking about the costs of things in France which according to friends there are going up even faster than they are here.

Edited by jks

Guess I am lucky as I worked for 14 years for a French oil drilling company and get around 2500 Euro a quarter paid into my bank as a pension in UK so at the moment I am a happy man.

I take your point Jks, I don't know what the price situation is at present in France as I haven't been there since early last year , I usually go on line and do a little price surfing on the Internet or just ask around (on here ) to gauge if I can save money on non perishable items, but everything is going up in the Eurozone at a staggering rate, I went back to Italy in the Autumn and some prices had ballooned since being there 9 months previously, however enjoy your trip and have a relaxing time.

Guess I am lucky as I worked for 14 years for a French oil drilling company and get around 2500 Euro a quarter paid into my bank as a pension in UK so at the moment I am a happy man.

Nice one !

Edited by Petercheason

JKS

Seems to me that ferry operators are still giving excellent value. You can, if you want, control the cost of the sites used by using Camping Cheques at already agreed prices in sterling. Diesel prices are still cheaper than UK.

Stay in the UK and deisel expensive, site prices increasing, shop prices increasing just as in France. ....AND the weather. ..enough said its a no brainer. ............See you over there!!!!

Guest jks

JKS

Seems to me that ferry operators are still giving excellent value. You can, if you want, control the cost of the sites used by using Camping Cheques at already agreed prices in sterling. Diesel prices are still cheaper than UK.

Stay in the UK and deisel expensive, site prices increasing, shop prices increasing just as in France. ....AND the weather. ..enough said its a no brainer. ............See you over there!!!!

Yes Dave we do use ACSI. We might meet up again! It was Paradise last year!!!!! :(:(:(

Edited by jks

Our 11 weekm trip last spring cost just over £4000 with the euro averaging 1. 22 If that had been 1. 10 instead it would have added £160 . I wont be changing our plans for that, life is too short.

Edited by David in Cheshire

Yes Dave we do use ACSI. We might meet up again! It was Paradise last year!!!!! :(:(:(

Thing is John Acsi is paid in Euros and still subject to exchange rate fluctuations. ................By the way the site was Paradis and certainly not Paradise!! Would be good to meet again

Guest jks

Thing is John Acsi is paid in Euros and still subject to exchange rate fluctuations. ................By the way the site was Paradis and certainly not Paradise!! Would be good to meet again

My point exactly. Have only used the cheques once in all the years we have been going. Might try them again.

Bought some euro this afternoon from I. C. E. and got 1. 455 to the £.

ICE website says 1. 145 ???

we use tescos vouchers for the tunnel and camping cheques so its still a cheap and great holiday whatever the euro does. Thinking of getting an ACSI card as well this year

1. 45? How did you get this? I'll take that now for the next few years!

Methinks you should have gone to specsavers . ..... :)

we're going this year for the 1st time,we just want some sun please!!!!, i think your right jks,we are due a good summer and as we are going france this year you can bet it'll be this summer :rolleyes: .

there really is no better place than uk if the weather is nice.

pete

Guest jks

That was my thinking Pete. Loads of places we have never been.

your right jks,there are loads of places we've not been in uk, we were going devon on thursday,but have decided to go to kent instead,never been to that county on hols.

when you look at the map and at the places you have been its an eye opener

pete

your right jks,there are loads of places we've not been in uk, we were going devon on thursday,but have decided to go to kent instead,never been to that county on hols.

when you look at the map and at the places you have been its an eye opener

pete

Kent?? Where you going? I wouldn't go there on holiday! I live there:-)

not sure,going to hit the phone tomorrow to see where we can get in. shouldn't be a rush on!!!,we want to go round the canterbury area,small site cl/cs if poss.

pete