Any Tips For Removing The Caravan Number Plate?

I wouldn't screw the plate on - you may get water ingress through the screw holes.

I beg to differ. I have used self tapping screws for every number plate used on my caravans and trailers from the year dot, and providing you seal around the pre-drilled hole before screwing the plate on, there will be no leaks!

At the latest count that is 12 that have never leaked around the number plates.

A quick tip for sealing, is to place a small ring of blu-tac or similar around the screw hole and clamp up onto that. Not only is it cheap, but you can get it off again when needed :)

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

I wouldn't screw the plate on - you may get water ingress through the screw holes.

Not a problem at all on Aluteck vans, cos the bumper is hollow plastic and there is nothing behind it. But yes, worth checking. And like Gordon, I use sealant to avoid any rot.

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Not a problem at all on Aluteck vans, cos the bumper is hollow plastic and there is nothing behind it. But yes, worth checking. And like Gordon, I use sealant to avoid any rot.

You hope there is nothing behind it! On mine there was damp and the water got in anyway.

For removal, if you can't get your fingers in behind the plate one of those plastic scrapers will remove it without scratching the paintwork.

Once its removed use white spirit on a cloth, with patience !! and it will remove the adhesive and its won't harm the paintwork.

Wash the area before sticking the new plate on.

It works for me anyway.

When I changed mine I just got my fingers under the end of the plate and gently pulled, it slowly pulled free. Then I cleaned the surface with 'Sticky Stuff Remover' that had lain in the back of the cupboard for years :) then gave it a wipe with brake cleaner that I use on the towball.

Stuck the new plate on with five pads that came with it.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Interior Rear View Mirror Pads are the best thing I've found for sticking the number plate on never lost one yet and they are a ***** to get off again, you'll need at least one of the methods above to remove. I just had a count up I've had 17 tow cars to one caravan, I guess I bore of cars a lot quicker than caravans.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised some feedback, I used fishing line to get behind the plate and it easily cut through the plastic pads! No marks or damage, some white spirit and elbow grease to remove what was left of the pads. The whole job took about 15mins so thanks to all who contributed to the request.

• Like 1

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Mine was the same only I used dental floss that has been sitting in the bathroom cupboard for years. Never had a use for it before as I couldn't stand using it on my teeth. Great idea and cut through the pads a treat, thank you.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

I have found dental floss snaps when I tried it so I use a strong fishing line or picture hanging steel wire both work well .

I clean the left overs on the back of the number plates with UPVC plastic window cleaner. I fix number plate stainless steel clips on the back of the caravan as Gordon says with a sealant on the screws . Once fitted these don't need to be removed any more and the number plate is just clipped in and stored when not needed in the cars boot .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Hi, I use three lengths of sticky velcro the full length of the number plate,it's also easy to gently pull off when needed for another trailer.

• Haha 1

Mondeo 2. 0TDCI 140bhp/ Coachman festival 550

• 7 years later...

I tried Dental floss but it broke twice,  So I used my Dogs Nylon tape type Flexi lead and it worked a treat 😁Happy Days 

Mine had been fitted by a large dealership 6 months previously and I got a long sharp scraper ready to remove it.   One touch with my finger and it fell on the floor.  So much for supposed professionals