Any Tips For Removing The Caravan Number Plate?

I've recently changed my tug and will soon need to change the caravan numberplate, it appears to be stuck on? Any tips on how the old plate can be removed? I wont have access to electrical power as it is in storage.

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Two methods I've used.

Use a large flat-bladed screwdriver and carefully lever the edges and insert a large hacksaw blade to cut the adhesive pads, if you're going to replace it break it into smaller pieces then remove all the bits of old sticky pads from the caravan number plate recess, clean thoroughly with meths or white spirit and stick the new plate on.

HTH.

Regards.

Col

Proud to be a Patriot and CT Ninja
I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

Thay are usually stuck on by double sided tape or silicon sealant they come off with a bit of leverage if you dont need plate just snap it off or heat it up with a hair dryer

Omega sport estate Elddis 636 twin

Raid the kitchen for a plastic bowl scraper.

I have often found that _gentle_ sustained pull

on the number plate will cause the sticky tabs to shear

Or try fishing line round the back of the plate.

As above and then use one of those scrapers you buy for removing paint from glass (the one that takes a Stanley knife blade).

With careful use you can remove just about all trace of the old stickers.

I use Fishing line to remove my old number plates, neat Fenwicks has taken off the residue then a clean with the cleaning wipe provided or an antiseptic cleaning wipe never had any problems yet.

I just stuck the new one over the old plate.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Stick the new one over the old one. We couldn't get our old one off the last van.

One of my vans had a total of five number plates stuck one atop the other

Whatever you use, scraper, fishing line, dental floss - spray a drop of WD40 on it to stop it sticking.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

We couldn't get all the sticky residue off the van when we changed our number plate, so we made sure that we put the new sticky tabs in a different place on the new plate!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

Never had any trouble getting them off with wire or nylon line: getting them to stay on is another matter, usually end up resorting to screws (with sealant on the threads).

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I have always found that my numberplates had a habit of falling off whilst doing high speeds on motorways. personally I think I would rather screw them on now in fact that's what I've done to my current van

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Or try fishing line round the back of the plate.

Yup,

Fishing line.

Gra.

Yantai China, Okpo South Korea, Cape Town South Africa, Aberdeen U. K. , Oslo Norway, Houston Texas. Walvis Bay Namibia.

Use Dental floss passed over the end of the plate, it acts like a knife through the foam of the double sided fixing pads

Dave

:goodpost: Cracking idea. I have used a wallpaper scraper very carefully if I needed to re-use the plate.

Also when I sell my car on I always give the new owner my old plate if possible. :D . .Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

The new number plate will not stick if there is a trace of grease, wax or polish on the surface of the van or the plate. Clean the area with methylated spirit or vinegar but not petrol as it is oily.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

Thanks to all for the replies, I will try the less intrusive options first and report back which one worked,

I wouldn't screw the plate on - you may get water ingress through the screw holes.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Definitely no screws, I'll need to see who can supply suitable and strong double sided tape now. I don't want to be worrying all the time I'm driving in case it's fallen off and get pulled over by plod.

• Like 1

Definitely no screws, I'll need to see who can supply suitable and strong double sided tape now. I don't want to be worrying all the time I'm driving in case it's fallen off and get pulled over by plod.

Halfords.

Another vote for fishing line or I have used an old broken guitar string. Dental floss sounds good, I hadn't thought of that one!

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).