Wet Sytem Central Heating For Caravans What A Bonkers Idea

ancell

So if you are on a rally and the battery dies, no fridge and no heating even though you are on gas?

This sounds a little defeatist to mean - You mean you do not take a car? ;) The best portable 12v battery charger around. - How hard is it to charge a battery from your car. .. You can buy dc to dc chargers and other devices to make vehicle charging a fairly simple task. I know somebody who uses a 12v vehicle to vehicle charger that powers from the Cigarette socket in the vehicle, He can drape the wire directly into his caravan battery box and top-up the battery from the car.

You can use solar panels also. .. I don't think that with modern technology battery life should be a massive problem that you are making it out to be.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This sounds a little defeatist to mean - You mean you do not take a car? ;) The best portable 12v battery charger around. - How hard is it to charge a battery from your car. .. You can buy dc to dc chargers and other devices to make vehicle charging a fairly simple task. I know somebody who uses a 12v vehicle to vehicle charger that powers from the Cigarette socket in the vehicle, He can drape the wire directly into his caravan battery box and top-up the battery from the car.

You can use solar panels also. .. I don't think that with modern technology battery life should be a massive problem that you are making it out to be.

It was more of a question than anything else and hoping for an answer as I never knew.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Didn't realise the Hillman Imp had Alde heating fitted. Was it not just in the upmarket Singer Chamois version? :ph34r:

dont no about the chamois but my sunbeam stilleto was very quick bitd, back onto the main subject i can understand people not wanting to try alde its like marmite love it or hate it camp, ,, me i have a foot in each camp had alde for two years and its a must have, ,, marmite cant even look at the stuff, ,,, just thought i would send the post onto a different course :lol::lol: :lol: jim

:D:D:D:D the new solid construction 2013 elddis aspire 255 has replaced a 2008 jeep grand cherokee 3. 0 crd overland being chased by a 2011 elddis crusader super sirocco,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, after four elddis caravans it made sence to buy an aspire

Its just bonkers!!.

Every thing is battery powered--when did that happen--the loo flush in my Swift 2007 challenger 540 needs 2 AA batteries.

Imagine trying to explain that to a furious flushless wife--the batteries are flat darling!!.

You know its going to happen at 12pm in Auchtermuchty or even worse the wonderfull-end of the line--Kinlochbervie!!

Hi, Kinlochbervie the end of the line --- never ! you can buy batteries in the ironmongers/petrol station/postoffice( its all one place ! ) or the Spar shop-- or the London store down the road ! As for the fish & chips -well-- wow !

Very inefficient of charging a battery !--- 2 ltr engine on tick over-- think of the fuel !

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Hi, Kinlochbervie the end of the line --- never ! you can buy batteries in the ironmongers/petrol station/postoffice( its all one place ! ) or the Spar shop-- or the London store down the road ! As for the fish & chips -well-- wow !

Very inefficient of charging a battery !--- 2 ltr engine on tick over-- think of the fuel !

Well, that's what one particular individual does. .. - You can take the battery out, place it in the boot and charge it when/if you go out for the day. If your are using that much power then I guess a genny set is a bit of a must?

Personally I prefer the greener solar route.

Edited by dreadly

Mahatma Gandhi

Kinlochbervie--it literaly is the end of the road.

As you say wonderfull fish and chips and great fishing.

Such an easy choice for clothing to-- Goretex or Goretex.

Lot's of irrelevent posts on here, too bad for me.

Anyway I was originally biased against Alde heating, but now it's won me over. No more sleepless fan noise, hot and cold spots, extremes of temperature, melted Crocs or disturbance from the dog bothered by the blasts. I was fortunate it was the previous owner who suffered the failure and expense of the blown air boiler in our old Van(royce).

Changing the fluid was a cinch, I only expect to do this every 5 years why anyone would still use the blue stuff is a mystery? I love our large washroom radiator which can also dry towels in winter. We never use it on gas except to speed the initial heating time.

If I have a criticism the header tank pump seems a weak point and is expensive, if this ever goes I would fit the boiler mounted inline pump. I wish the current limiting sensor was standard fitment so we don't have to turn the heating off when we boil our 2kw kettle, otherwise its pot luck if a trip will go. I intend to Retro fit this.

Lot's of irrelevent posts on here, too bad for me.

Anyway I was originally biased against Alde heating, but now it's won me over. No more sleepless fan noise, hot and cold spots, extremes of temperature, melted Crocs or disturbance from the dog bothered by the blasts. I was fortunate it was the previous owner who suffered the failure and expense of the blown air boiler in our old Van(royce).

Changing the fluid was a cinch, I only expect to do this every 5 years why anyone would still use the blue stuff is a mystery? I love our large washroom radiator which can also dry towels in winter. We never use it on gas except to speed the initial heating time.

If I have a criticism the header tank pump seems a weak point and is expensive, if this ever goes I would fit the boiler mounted inline pump. I wish the current limiting sensor was standard fitment so we don't have to turn the heating off when we boil our 2kw kettle, otherwise its pot luck if a trip will go. I intend to Retro fit this.

. ..... or get a 900W kettle ;)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

:goodpost:

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I searched high and low for a small, cordless, circa 1Kw kettle, and eventually bought http://www. boots. com/en/President-Mini-Jug-Kettle_1217654/

Cracking little kettle, plenty big enough for 2 large mugs of tea, and it doesn't take long to boil, despite one of the reviews saying otherwise.

edit: I know this is off topic, but it's much more interesting than Hilman Imps etc :)

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

limecc
'If I have a criticism the header tank pump seems a weak point and is expensive, if this ever goes I would fit the boiler mounted inline pump. I wish the current limiting sensor was standard fitment so we don't have to turn the heating off when we boil our 2kw kettle, otherwise its pot luck if a trip will go. I intend to Retro fit this.'

I'm sure more than just myself would be interested to know how you get on.

onewheelonmywagon:

'I know this is off topic, but it's much more interesting than Hilman Imps etc@

Oh no it's isn't. ............oh yes it is. ...........discuss LOL.

There is a small fact that saved my mother's driving licence one day, many years ago. Her Imp was spotted by a Police Officer and she was prosecuted. However, she was given an absolute discharge because of a unique property of the Imp's suspension, and a very knowledgeable magistrate. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what happened?

Keeping us guessing?...........the suspence is teriffic!

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

I searched high and low for a small, cordless, circa 1Kw kettle, and eventually bought http://www. boots. com/en/President-Mini-Jug-Kettle_1217654/

Cracking little kettle, plenty big enough for 2 large mugs of tea, and it doesn't take long to boil, despite one of the reviews saying otherwise.

edit: I know this is off topic, but it's much more interesting than Hilman Imps etc :)

We got one from our local caravan dealer for about £15, but slightly larger at 1. 5litres.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Can't be waiting 20 mins. .

Can't be waiting 20 mins. .

5 mins max ! ;)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

5 mins max ! ;)

Look. When my wife says she wants a cup of tea. .. I have to jump to it!!

3kw is a better direction to go, and I'll flick the heating switch :-)

For the price of your 900w kettle I can get the current limiting sensor and my Alde heating will do the flicking instead.

Look. When my wife says she wants a cup of tea. .. I have to jump to it!!

3kw is a better direction to go, and I'll flick the heating switch :-)

For the price of your 900w kettle I can get the current limiting sensor and my Alde heating will do the flicking instead.

Blimey, good job I don't drink hot drinks at all

Mahatma Gandhi

Kinlochbervie--it literaly is the end of the road.

As you say wonderfull fish and chips and great fishing.

Such an easy choice for clothing to-- Goretex or Goretex.

Wrong !! Kinlochbervie is not the end of the road ---Balchreick is !

david

Kinlochbervie not the end-------.

It depends if you mean driving or towing.

If you are towing our camp site is at the end of the road.

For me thats 257 towing miles.

However

You are quite correct Balchreick is another 4 miles onwards-but-if you had a 4 x 4 you could go further.

Its all a matter of scale.

Hi,

Getting back ( nearly ) to O. P. we were away at a rally weekend before last when we had all that snow--- it started on friday afternoon. we had 19 units ( two were motorhomes ) and most were a few years old and with chimneys on the roof so i doubt if we had anybody with central heating. the snow built up and by next morning we had 3" on the roof.

we cleared the snow ( solar panels & chimney area ) fire on and we were lovely and warm with the fire temp set on 3. Had to turn heating down as it was reaching 70deg. nobody complained of the vans being cold ( at least the ones i spoke to ! )

Last weekend we were at Wrexham at a rally -temp went down to-4 deg again we were nice and warm with the heater set on No3 .

At no point did we worry about the flat battery - no heat situation - something that did worry us when we had the Lunar Clubman.

david

Kinlochbervie not the end-------.

It depends if you mean driving or towing.

If you are towing our camp site is at the end of the road.

For me thats 257 towing miles.

However

You are quite correct Balchreick is another 4 miles onwards-but-if you had a 4 x 4 you could go further.

Its all a matter of scale.

​Hi, How about the semi-official camp site at Balchreick ( past the graveyard ) seen vans there and the house near the end of the road has a caravan ( or did last year ) !

regards david

Have not been to Kinlochbervie for a couple of years I cannot remember caravans being at Balchreick- we just go to the same sites we have been going to for 40+ years.

Hi,

the thought crossed my mind regarding heating ,-- its the feet that suffer ! when we had the alde system we had cold feet as the heat did not make it to the floor. Can not comment on other "new " systems but the old gas fire/ blown air is so far the nearest we have got to warm feet !

david

Hi,

the thought crossed my mind regarding heating ,-- its the feet that suffer ! when we had the alde system we had cold feet as the heat did not make it to the floor. Can not comment on other "new " systems but the old gas fire/ blown air is so far the nearest we have got to warm feet !

david

Might be the design of the van or lack of floor insulation, our feet are fine.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Hot air rises . ... relatively simple law of physics ?? applies to all vans :)

(and perhaps explains why this computer floats towards the ceiling frequently when reading some threads on CT :) )

Then circulates and comes back down again and so on, it's called convection good design capitalises on this concept. Also works in convection systems on domestic homes. Clearly there will always be a slight differential but should not be enough to cause discomfort. Perhaps this is an more advanced law of physics.

http://encyclopedia2. thefreedictionary. com/convection

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Here's something surprising. I have had the heating on gently in the van for a few weeks now. Traditional Truma with fan. The van has the chill taken off but no more. I accidentally turned the fan off the other day. When I went back into it, I was surprised to find the whole van lovely and toasty. So in some way, blowing the heat round the van heats it LESS efficiently than just letting convection do its thing. How is that, then?

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.