Sign in to follow this  
ancell

Wet Sytem Central Heating For Caravans What A Bonkers Idea

Really got to bring this post back on track, it was a serious point don't you know.

It seems to me that if you took the Coventry Climax engine as it pump variation, it could be fitted into a front locker and used to pump its own coolant around the Alde heating system.

We had a flat rear tyre in an Imp once. No jack. 2 lads easily picked up the back corner while the other changed the wheel.

Gary is correct. The Consul part of the name was dropped in 1964 at the facelift.

John.

Thanks John. In 1969 I had the MK1 Cortina. Brilliant little car and easy to repair. I later bought a Corsair. I can't remember the year of each, but I do remember my first car bought in 1968 which was a 1961 Ford Zephyr MkII. Fuel was less than 3/6 a gallon and we had sanctions on us imposed by Britain! :D

Edited by Surf01

http://www. a-tconsulting. co. uk/caravan_tech/alde. html

I see the wet system draws 1/2 amp and needs permanent connection or supply of power or the heating settings are lost.

For the 3010 the glycol/water mix needs changed every 2 years.

More hassle.

Back on post.

http://www. a-tconsulting. co. uk/caravan_tech/alde. html

I see the wet system draws 1/2 amp and needs permanent connection or supply of power or the heating settings are lost.

For the 3010 the glycol/water mix needs changed every 2 years.

More hassle.

Back on post.

So can I ask - do you have the Alde system in your caravan?

Al.

Guest Inner State

So can I ask - do you have the Alde system in your caravan?

Al.

Is it relevant?

Is it relevant?

It is to me. I'm curious as to why the OP seems to have so many reasons to dislike the system.

So to answer your question, in my opinion, yes it is. Happy now?

Another thread thats turning into a slanging match, please guys, no need for it!!

Has anyone experience of the new Whale 4kw system, just wondered how this system copares to the Alde wet system, having experienced blown air wondered if they had improved on the Truma system?

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Another thread thats turning into a slanging match, please guys, no need for it!!

Has anyone experience of the new Whale 4kw system, just wondered how this system copares to the Alde wet system, having experienced blown air wondered if they had improved on the Truma system?

Phil.

Quite right Phil, well said, my apologies. :)

And thanks for an objective question! ^_^

Regards,

Al.

Guest Inner State

It is to me. I'm curious as to why the OP seems to have so many reasons to dislike the system.

So to answer your question, in my opinion, yes it is. Happy now?

Merely asking why it was relevant thats all, chill.

I don't have an Alde system in my van, my preference would be not to have one in the next van but it seems there wont be a choice. I have no experience of Alde other than what I've read about it. I do feel however able to have a valid opinion even though I don't have a system of my own.

J

Don't have a problem with you, or the OP, having an opinion - I'll defend your right to that. My query was made about the OP's current system, because he seemed to be persisting in denigrating the Alde system - which if anyone wants to take the time, can be done with any!

There are, fortunately, plenty of models that don't feature Alde - I say fortunately, because it means there is a choice.

There are features of many 'vans that I wouldn't choose - but I don't see a lot of point in banging on about their shortcomings - as long as others like them, that's fine. But I respect your right to have a valid opinion. As I do my right to ask a relevant question!

So likewise, chill. B)

Let's not fall out! :P

Al.

Guest Inner State

Don't have a problem with you, or the OP, having an opinion - I'll defend your right to that. My query was made about the OP's current system, because he seemed to be persisting in denigrating the Alde system - which if anyone wants to take the time, can be done with any!

There are, fortunately, plenty of models that don't feature Alde - I say fortunately, because it means there is a choice.

There are features of many 'vans that I wouldn't choose - but I don't see a lot of point in banging on about their shortcomings - as long as others like them, that's fine. But I respect your right to have a valid opinion. As I do my right to ask a relevant question!

So likewise, chill. B)

Let's not fall out! :P

Al.

Not falling out at all, I'm very chilled at the moment in the middle of the med with 7 metre high seas and a real storm brewing and therefore can't work.

Looking at the potential replacements for my Senator they all seem to have Alde so it's going to be a fact of life within the next couple of years. On the next one I'll probably go for aircon as well so I could get the rapid warm up from that. Bathroom temps would have to be addressed though.

Regards - J

Not falling out at all, I'm very chilled at the moment in the middle of the med with 7 metre high seas and a real storm brewing and therefore can't work.

Regards - J

Trust you're not in you're caravan then J! :o:(

You make a valid point about bathroom temps - that was one of the failings I found with the warm air system - it didn't warm the end washroom up properly in our last Crusader. Of course having thin tubes pass outside and then back in again doesn't help I suppose! :blink:

Anyway, stay safe.

Best regards,

Al.

Edited by northa2901

You make a valid point about bathroom temps - that was one of the failings I found with the warm air system - it didn't warm the end washroom up properly in our last Crusader. Of course having thin tubes pass outside and then back in again doesn't help I suppose! :blink:

Anyway, stay safe.

Best regards,

Al.

Precisey because of this i was asking about the new Whale system which, as i understand it, is all externally mounted, just wondered how good it was, the blurb says it has a really quick hot water system heating 13 ltrs up to shower temp in 20 minutes, wonder if the heating, being still blown air, is as good?

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

If the ALDE system warmed the caravan within less than an hour and there was a fan to circulate air, it would be great. we now have to carry a fan heater along with us. In summer it is a deadweight you are carrying around and there is no fan to draw in air from under the caravan to cool it down. Unfortunately for us an a/c is out of the question.

Bonus is that when it eventually does heat up the caravan it keeps the temperature fairly constant.

I can only think that the problems that some people complain about are due to poor system design or installation - or dare I say it finger trouble by the operator. The unit it'self is more than capable of heating most vans, however the heat has to be transferred from the unit via the plumbing and radiators - if they are sized incorrectly or poorly placed then you'll get a problem.

We've been using the ALDE system now through two very cold winters and as far as I'm concerned I've got nothing but praise for it. The van is nice and cosy (including the bathroom) and gets that way within a hour or so - by the time we are set up it's warm enough for us to sit around. The timer ensures that we aren't overheatted at night but the van is warm when we get up in the mornings. We get as much hot water as we want and, as the piping runs around inside the wardrobes and behind the drawer units, we also have the benefit of cosy knickers and socks as well - what more could you want.

Insulting alde.

Having built and maintained a few central heating systems I am just baffled as to why you would introduce this complex system into a compact reasonably well insulated caravan.

I have not insulted anyone.

But have had plenty of insults thrown.

I know nothing about caravan wet systems.

A fact that has been pointed out over and over in this thread.

I do know about the vulnerability of electronics and fluids-however.

Why Alde- simply because this came up on the search engine.

I do see the rational for having wet heating systems in boats especially steel narrowboats used a few and they worked reasonably well.

If my next caravan has a wet system in it I will not pass it by-just another complexity of modern life.

I was hoping for a rational comparison-but-I see its a defending corners debate.

Guest Inner State

Anyway, stay safe.

Best regards,

Al.

Hi Al,

No, not in my van, onboard a dive support vessel.

In both caravans that I've had the bathrooms weren't as warm as I would have liked, I then discovered the diverter flap and by diverting more of the warm air there I got the result I wanted. On my Wyoming all of the hot air ducts are inside anyway so none of the external heat losses.

It would seem to me to be a fairly simple solution for the bathroom issues, fit a radiator. Towel rails are good at what theyre designed for, hanging towels on, if you rely on them for heating theres no point in insulating them with towels!

Regards - J

Insulting alde.

Having built and maintained a few central heating systems I am just baffled as to why you would introduce this complex system into a compact reasonably well insulated caravan.

I have not insulted anyone.

But have had plenty of insults thrown.

I know nothing about caravan wet systems.

A fact that has been pointed out over and over in this thread.

I do know about the vulnerability of electronics and fluids-however.

Why Alde- simply because this came up on the search engine.

I do see the rational for having wet heating systems in boats especially steel narrowboats used a few and they worked reasonably well.

If my next caravan has a wet system in it I will not pass it by-just another complexity of modern life.

I was hoping for a rational comparison-but-I see its a defending corners debate.

I haven't suggested you've insulted Alde or anyone else, nor have I insulted you. As for "defending corners", I always maintain that these things are a matter of personal choice. If you find them unduly complex, or vulnerable, that's your business, not mine.

I only view these systems from a user viewpoint - I prefer it over blown air - some people don't. I don't find the weight an issue - some do. I don't object to the requirements for maintenance -some do.

A matter of choice!

Al.

Edited by northa2901

Hi Al,

No, not in my van, onboard a dive support vessel.

In both caravans that I've had the bathrooms weren't as warm as I would have liked, I then discovered the diverter flap and by diverting more of the warm air there I got the result I wanted. On my Wyoming all of the hot air ducts are inside anyway so none of the external heat losses.

It would seem to me to be a fairly simple solution for the bathroom issues, fit a radiator. Towel rails are good at what theyre designed for, hanging towels on, if you rely on them for heating theres no point in insulating them with towels!

Regards - J

Good point J. Although with the rubbish weather in the UK at the moment, a wet system AND a blown air system wouldn't be out of place!

Anyway, hope your storm blows itself out safely for you. Although I suppose that then you'd have to get back to work - there's always a catch! :unsure:

Still, good luck for the rest of your tour - hope you get back to 'vanning before too long! :)

regards,

Al.

Guest Inner State

Good point J. Although with the rubbish weather in the UK at the moment, a wet system AND a blown air system wouldn't be out of place!

Anyway, hope your storm blows itself out safely for you. Although I suppose that then you'd have to get back to work - there's always a catch! :unsure:

Still, good luck for the rest of your tour - hope you get back to 'vanning before too long! :)

regards,

Al.

I always make a point of visiting storage before I leave and I'm planning a short trip for when I return, no matter what the weather I'm going.

J

Forgive me but is that is a picture of a Consul Cortina mk1 Deluxe with an Imp happening in the background?! But it does confirm my point about Imps towing!

I do though have a bit of a problem over the fire pump story, albeit the engine was indeed used for such, but my mates dad was an original test driver and he told me a different story?

That is, originally the engine picked was a fork truck version of 1200cc, this he said had spectacular performance! however as you got over a ton it started to get very light on the steering as the flat underside of the car acted more like a wing!!! :o

Through then simple trial and error testing an eventually after several engine configurations, the engine size reduced to 875cc with further power reduction by reducing the compression ratio from circa 9:1 to 8:1

So although eventually it used a version of the same basic engine as the fire pump which in itself is simply one other incarnation of a multi task engine design, there the connection stops!

Similarly, take the famous 500cc Triumph speed twin, the engine was originally designed and paid for by the war office, as a donkey engine for a generator set on the Wellington bomber. However the 'Chief' designer, one Edward Turner, already had other ideas for it's later use.

Originally all alloy in construction for lightness, it acquired cast iron cylinders and head purely for cheapness in the yet to be famous motorbike.

No less then, a fine engine for it's day despite it's humble past and probably saved Triumph for an extra decade or so!

The other way round Norton, decades later, was not interested in their rotary engine for bikes let alone racing them, the parent company only saw it as an industrial engine but simply needed to prove it's reliability first! ;)

IMHO of course

Engine was a redesign of the Coventry Climax FWE 1200, used in firepumps & in racing cars. They were all aluminium so pretty light. Could be made to go quickly! My brother had one tuned & lowered, I think the headlights were lower then the legal limit, which I believe is why the front sat up a bit when new.

BTW I wonder why ALDE never had a back up battery installed to maintain the settings on the unit, i. e. time and setting for timer? This would have been very handy. Every time you go out, you need to re-set it so now we do not bother with the timer.

You can get a cable that allows the clock to run when the power is turned off - it's an optional extra.

If you turn the power off that's why your van gets cold. I dont turn the DC power off unless the van isn't in use - so setting the clock when I arrive on site isn't really an onerous chore.

Connection cable for battery backup

Cable for connecting control panel 3010 213 to the

vehicle’s battery. Is used in order that the clock setting

will remain in the memory when the vehicle’s main

breaker is switched off. Length 0. 2 m.

Art. No. 3010 313

Edited by matelodave

You can get a cable that allows the clock to run when the power is turned off - it's an optional extra.

If you turn the power off that's why your van gets cold. I dont turn the DC power off unless the van isn't in use - so setting the clock when I arrive on site isn't really an onerous chore.

Connection cable for battery backup

Cable for connecting control panel 3010 213 to the

vehicle’s battery. Is used in order that the clock setting

will remain in the memory when the vehicle’s main

breaker is switched off. Length 0. 2 m.

Art. No. 3010 313

I tried that and then got a notification from Phantom that the battery was low! After that we switched off the mains switched. Not sure what could have drained the battery.

How easy is it to fit the cable to the vehicle's battery as my hands are a bit knackered with arthritis?

Posting may well be back on track. .............but it's BORING LOL. Much more entertaining when the subject meanders. .........whatever it was.