Sign in to follow this  
ancell

Wet Sytem Central Heating For Caravans What A Bonkers Idea

You know, I think ancell has a point. We wandered round various caravans at the show on Saturday, and the ones with the wet heating lost loads of space in the sides of the van for the covers for the radiators, unflatteringly hidden by cheap metal grilles. This is quite apart from the leakage and filling issues he has talked about.

I think that the all-in-one Truma is probably an advance on our separated space and water heaters, but I can heat the van and heat my water with a flattish battery just about managing to spark the water heater, and no 12v needed for the fire.

Lots of us do still want to have the option to caravan au naturel for a few days without EHU or generator.

Yes there should be choice, but I do not recognise any of what you say. With my wet system.

John

You know, I think ancell has a point. We wandered round various caravans at the show on Saturday, and the ones with the wet heating lost loads of space in the sides of the van for the covers for the radiators, unflatteringly hidden by cheap metal grilles. This is quite apart from the leakage and filling issues he has talked about.

I think that the all-in-one Truma is probably an advance on our separated space and water heaters, but I can heat the van and heat my water with a flattish battery just about managing to spark the water heater, and no 12v needed for the fire.

Lots of us do still want to have the option to caravan au naturel for a few days without EHU or generator.

We do with the Alde. Haven't noticed any difference in power usage compared to the Blown Air. Big difference in comfort though. Old system = Battery about had it after 3 days. Alde = Battery about had it after 3 days. To be fair the Unicorn is far better insulated than the old Lunar so heating is not working as hard.

It will keep working until your battery is down to below 10. 5 volts. Yes you can use the gas fire without the fan with virtually no volts. but below that sort of volts I'm long gone.

Edited by Alan Stanley

BTW how do they recycled the fluid with the anti freeze in it when it is changed every two years?

I found it is useful as a near-instant ant killer, pour some down an ant hole when they are swarming and see!

As someone who has had over the years 4 vans with truma blown air heating,& the last 3 with Alde wet heating,I can honestly say that I would NEVER return to blown air heating,The wife would kill me if I did.

We have never had the sore throats we had with blown air,or the headaches from the dry air.

So having had experience of both. Alde gets my vote everytime.

I am not talking about using the van for the odd weekend,but for 6 mths non stop every summer. April to September inclusive.