Sign in to follow this  
ancell

Wet Sytem Central Heating For Caravans What A Bonkers Idea

Just topped up my brothers closed/pressurised central heating system.

What a daft idea to install this in a caravan.

I have read the threads on the endless tears shed by innocent punters who have paid mega bucks for their wet heating sytems.

Complicated-several components-pipes in inacessable places-fluid in pipes in temperatures going down to double digit degrees centigrade.

These sytems do not like prolonged inactivity.

I am baffled.

I suppose you are entitled to your opinion even though its wrong :D

I have it in my new van but cannot comment fully yet as we havent been away in it yet. It does seem to take a while heat up initially but once optimised almost full positive comments.

What systems are pressurised?

Where are all these threads of endless tears?

John

Alde wet system heating is not as daft as having warm air blown through thin large tubes that pass outside the caravan then back in again!

I can only speak for myself, but I'm certainly not an "innocent punter who has paid mega bucks for our wet heating system."

I have not experienced any tears with it, let alone endless ones. In fact whilst I respect the objective opinion of those who prefer warm air systems, I certainly wasn't "blown away" by our previous systems of that type, and much prefer the Alde.

Sounds like the system that the OP has struggled with requires attention, but that doesn't mean that all ours do!

Al.

Edited by northa2901

I have read the threads on the endless tears shed by innocent punters who have paid mega bucks for their wet heating sytems.

Complicated-several components-pipes in inacessable places-fluid in pipes in temperatures going down to double digit degrees centigrade.

I am baffled.

So am i by your post.

Haven't Alde heating systems been used on boats for years and surely such vessels are subject to periods of inactivity and temperature variations, not to dissimilar to caravans and I believe Alde systems on boats to be fit for purpose and work effectively/efficiently.

I see the coolant contains up to 50% ethylene glycol.

Not stuff you would want escaping into your caravan.

At least when the car radiator goes all the filthy muck goes on the ground.

I do realise that the central heating system is at atmospheric pressure.

Just had a look at the Alde 3010 service manual there is lots and lots to go wrong there

especially.

a lot of control by micro processor.

I use a lot of micro chips in my hobby-radio control--anything---.

Great super- as long as they work.

Just tested 8 boards for my next project 2 were US.

I see the coolant contains up to 50% ethylene glycol.

Not stuff you would want escaping into your caravan.

At least when the car radiator goes all the filthy muck goes on the ground.

I do realise that the central heating system is at atmospheric pressure.

Just had a look at the Alde 3010 service manual there is lots and lots to go wrong there

especially.

a lot of control by micro processor.

I use a lot of micro chips in my hobby-radio control--anything---.

Great super- as long as they work.

Just tested 8 boards for my next project 2 were US.

tested 8 boards and 2 were u/s tell me again who,s had the wool pulled over there eyes :rolleyes::rolleyes: alde does take longer to heat up theres no denying it but once its there its super but what would i know its only my van that i am talking about, had it two years and would not go back to puff heating

I am baffled.

I'm with you 100% on this one Ancell. ..though it looks like we're in the minority here! I think if we ask the same question after 6 to 10 years of owning one of these systems we may get a different response - they are a potential maintenance nightmare. Not that my new Truma blown air microprocessor system is any better! If I had the choice (and unfortunately I don't think I do now - or will have for my next van) I would stick with the basic Truma electric/gas heater with optional fan if required. Simple to operate and It worked for the past 16 years for me with my last two vans without the slightest hiccup. The new Truma system. ....error code this, error code that - it does my nut in and my wife won't even touch the controls :angry:

Cant see its any dafter than having a wet system in your house.

I think if we ask the same question after 6 to 10 years of owning one of these systems we may get a different response - they are a potential maintenance nightmare.

I presume from this contribution you are totally unaware how long ADLE and Primus wet systems have been about?

I presume from this contribution you are totally unaware how long ADLE and Primus wet systems have been about?

1966 i believe :)

Na, thats when the sassenachs won the world cup. lol

Na, thats when the sassenachs won the world cup. lol

:lol::lol::lol:

1966 i believe :)

Then why do you believe that after 47 years of systems application that the current purchasers will be disillusioned after 6 years?

Must admit. Think this is the first negative Thread I have seen on CT criticising the Wet Heating System. :huh:

GAS . ....... :angry:

Ethylene glycol is harmless unless you drink it. Please don't lick the floor if it leaks. The only thing I find odd about the wet system is that there must be a significant weight penalty.

Stop the press - some people who don't have Alde systems think they're rubbish! Well nothing new there. Isn't it strange that whether it's Bailey caravans, Alde heating systems, motor movers, et al, there always seems to be those who predict disaster. The Luddites tried it first. :rolleyes:

And it's not difficult to dredge up reasons why some feature or other won't work, or be a success, but it's usually done by people who have no intentionof choosing them. So therefore why try and denigrate those who do? My choice, thankfully isn't everyones'. But I make my own choices, on an informed, intelligent basis.

I don't understand, as JTQ says, how a system that has been in successful operation in the leisure industry for decades will cause me pain after 6 years! And as for "there is lots and lots to go wrong", then I presume that anyone who thinks along those lines prefers to drive a 1960 Ford or Vauxhall - lots less to go wrong!

Having said that, there's a simple answer to your dilemma - just avoid those features that cause you worry, and leave them for those of us who are prepared to pay for them! Solved!

Al.

Edited by northa2901

The only thing I find odd about the wet system is that there must be a significant weight penalty.

If you take into account the fact that it also replaces the fresh water heater system the actual weight difference is not much. The inhibited water is often cited as a weight but even in my large caravan it only amounts to 7 lires, 7 kgs. The tubing and radiators are thin wall 22 mm aluminium tube. The circulation pump sits in your hand and replaces quite a heavy air fan.

Where the ALDE system is installed with double bottom bed lockers to create air ducts this adds a few kgs.

Wet system in boats no problem all the nasty black stuff goes in the bilge.

Life of products--the Seagull outboard is a legend--you would not get me betting my life on it.

Warm air must admit I will not be using it on my new purchase Swift Challenger 540 does not agree with the wife--so thats that then.

We will use the usual £30 Argos thermostatically controlled oil filled heater totally silent--of course you need mains power--we always seem to get it--being able to caravan off peak.

Dafter than water system in house-- good point why do we have this daft unreliable system especially the latest even dafter system the el cheapo combi boiler-no decent hot water- constantly needing topped up well I seem to spend more time than I would like topping up systems.

Wet system in boats no problem all the nasty black stuff goes in the bilge.

Life of products--the Seagull outboard is a legend--you would not get me betting my life on it.

Warm air must admit I will not be using it on my new purchase Swift Challenger 540 does not agree with the wife--so thats that then.

We will use the usual £30 Argos thermostatically controlled oil filled heater totally silent--of course you need mains power--we always seem to get it--being able to caravan off peak.

Dafter than water system in house-- good point why do we have this daft unreliable system especially the latest even dafter system the el cheapo combi boiler-no decent hot water- constantly needing topped up well I seem to spend more time than I would like topping up systems.

And we don't have to put Glycol in our house systems because we don't leave them lying around unused in temps down to -15degC with all the contraction/expansion associated with it!

(I think we're drowning fast here Ancell mate. ... :unsure: )

Edited by dougiew39

No I did not say wet systems are rubbish.

I have used wet systems in boats.

Found them temperamental.

Why install complexity when its not needed.

Unused down to -15C got down to -25 in my old caravan last winter.

I see bluecol guarantees down to -34C at 50% but how many owners bother about topping up the anti freeze.