Sign in to follow this  
bigbilly

Tesco Tyres

Must have heard all the horse burger jokes by now !!

Anybody used Tesco/Black Circle for their tyre requirements ?

Bill

Friend of mine just used Black Circles. He was happy but the fitting places seem to be a little on the obscure side. I did a check using my vehicle and Michelins were a lot cheaper than my usual choice Link Continentals were cheaper at Tyreshopper. (Internet offshoot of National Tyres so you choose a convenient NT depot.)

Being a cynical type I checked Tesco Black Circles and ordinary BC website: to be fair prices were identical so the points would be a bonus. Think I'll hoof on down there.

have used black circle tyres twice . find their prices very competive fitted new tyres last week and fitter rotated tyres on car free of charge and washed car after fitting tyres

Thanks for that.

To be fair whether a Tesco fan or not they usually succeed by having a few deals at their disposal. Tyre prices seem to vary enormously dependant on when stocks were replenished and it seems that dealers vary dependant on the offers being made at the time. Haven't bought any tyres for a while now but last time I had some the cheapest were Kwik Fit on-line and were over 20 per cent cheaper than their depots albeit the depots fit them.

Bill

Bill

I got a price off them last week as I required two new tires they were £66 more than local national tires

I try not to encourage the Tescopoly, and rarely look further than camskill for tyres.

I can get new tyres fitted all in cheaper than any website, locally.

These web sites are ok if you live in the middle of no were, and a mobile chap comes to you, in that case its worth paying more for fitting.

How "new" [close to manufactured date] are the tyres from some of these highly discounted outlets?

Probably not too serious an issue for a high mileage car driver but a whole different one to anybody buying for their caravan.

Yes, used them for two, cheap and good service, will go back soon for the other two to match.

John

I used Blackcircle. Great prices and the garage I used was convenient and very professional. I would not hestitate to use them again or recommend them.

I need two new Michelins for the front.

Looking at Black Circles and F1 Autocentre via Quidco.

F1 Autocentre is about £5 a tyre cheaper and you can get a further 2. 5% off via Quidco!

Every little helps. . but I just choose to DIY and not rely on Tescomonopoly!!!!!

HTH

G.

Asda also do tyres under a name I cant think of at present but has a branch within 6 miles and the prices look fair.

Actually Asda do tyres under their own name and the prices do seem reasonable. Has anyone got any good reports of the cheaper budget tyres from china or indonesia. I put 4 Wanli tyres on my last car but was never totally happy with them. They were terrible when fitted and seemed to veer all over the road but improved as the tyres wore in for a few hundred miles. I was told this was due to a coating on the tyre to protect it in storage? I am looking at Avon ZV5 tyres for the front of my Citroen but these will cost a minimum of around £96 each fitted. I can get Jinyu or Infinity tyres for £54 fitted but is it worth the hassle of a poor perfomance and the prospect of sliding about on a wet field. I would like Michelin Premacy but at £150+ per tyre I would need to remortgage my house. Any comments will be most welcome.

Wanli tyres are at the bottom end of budget tyres.

Mid-range budget tyres-other than Falken-are Kumho, Hankook, Mohawk, Fulda and Vredestein.

The following comments are not aimed at any one member in particular:

Why would you spend several thousands of £'s on a car and a caravan and then skimp on tyres? This is false economy. I know premium brand tyres can be very expensive but really, how much is your and your family's lives worth? More than £300? (£75 per corner on your car) If you drive a FWD or RWD vehicle get into the habit of rotating your wheels every 5000 miles or so, this will prolong the life of your existing tyres.

Regards.

Col

. .... I would like Michelin Premacy but at £150+ per tyre I would need to remortgage my house. Any comments will be most welcome.

I'm with Col on this one and do not cut corners on tyres.

I've looked at Michelin Primacy at Black Circle and F1 Autocentes and they are a couple of pounds cheaper at F1 Autocentre. ..

Michelin Primacy 3 97W XL 235/45WR17 (#2354517MCH13) £124. 75

. .. and going via Quidco I'm hoping for a further 2. 5% of that price.

HTH

G.

P. S. Forgot to say that in the long term it probably is no more expensive as the ones that are being replaced are 3 years old and done 35k miles on the front of my FWD Audi. The rears still have 3mm+ and are 2 years and have done 25k miles.

Edited by chapmag

I am looking at Avon ZV5 tyres for the front of my Citroen but these will cost a minimum of around £96 each fitted.

I've had Avon on my C5 in the past but I found they lasted only a short time on the front. For the past year I've had Nexon and at around 75GBP per tyre, I'm impressed with them. I order from Value Tyres on the internet; pay by credit card and specify a local depot to receive and fit them. Price includes tyre, valve, fitting, balance and disposal. My size is 215x55x16.

Mid-range budget tyres-other than Falken-are Kumho, Hankook, Mohawk, Fulda and Vredestein.

Why would you spend several thousands of £'s on a car and a caravan and then skimp on tyres? This is false economy. I know premium brand tyres can be very expensive but really, how much is your and your family's lives worth? More than £300? (£75 per corner on your car) If you drive a FWD or RWD vehicle get into the habit of rotating your wheels every 5000 miles or so, this will prolong the life of your existing tyres.

Regards.

Col

Good post - agree totally.

Regards.

Col

But. .... surely the cheaper tyres don't skimp on safety? Made in same factory and reduced marketing budget allow for cheaper price? I bet run of the mill customers pay for Goodyears presence in F1.

Well have ordered Falken ZE914 XL but will cost me £95 per tyre from local dealer who I trust and he gave me £7 off normal price for each tyre. The tyres are an odd size and the slightly narrower ones at 205 are a lot cheaper and it is sad they aren't on my car. I mentioned the tyres I had fitted last March that make a thudding noise when on full lock and he said it was not the tyre but probably the tracking. He asked me to drive round the yard and instantly said at least one wheel was a long way out. I found it hard to believe as it drove fine apart from this but he gave me a free computer tracking check and the offside wheel was so far out it did not show on the computer screen it just flashed red. He tracked it for me while I watched and the thudding has gone, very impressed. Calling in tomorrow to have the tyres fitted. I have driven on used tyres, remoulds and near the limit tyres but with a van on the back a bit of insurance is worth paying for. The only blowout was on a caravan doing 60 down the centre lane of a motorway and I barely felt a thing, just heard the rubber smacking the van floor.

Edited by Capricorn12

But. .... surely the cheaper tyres don't skimp on safety? Made in same factory and reduced marketing budget allow for cheaper price? I bet run of the mill customers pay for Goodyears presence in F1.

http://www. pistonheads. co. uk/GASSING/topic. asp?h=0&t=1020445&d=11496. 72246&nmt=

http://www. oponeo. co. uk/tyre-test/wanli

'German ADAC (AA) rates them a life threat. ..'

http://www. volvoforums. org. uk/showthread. php?t=129867

Regards.

Col