Sign in to follow this  
grasmere59

Frozen Van!

We took our van in for a service on the 5th Jan and brought it home and left it behind the house as usual,i've just gone out to put some kit back in it and theres icicles hanging out of the taps and it seems like the whole water system is frozen solid! It was drained down before we left our last site in october so i know it was empty before it went to the dealers,on the dealers service check list it says "drain down-winter only" with a whacking great tick in the box!.I assume they must fill the water system during the service to test equiptment?I've put the heating on and opened all the low level internal lockers,what potential damage should i be looking for? Is there anything else i should do?

Oh dear. Hopefully you'll get away with only a burst pipe or two, but the whole system will need rechecking, especially the boiler.

Take it back to the dealer to run, check repair and drain down. That is so out of order.

on the dealers service check list it says "drain down-winter only" with a whacking great tick in the box!.

Take some photos of the icicles before they melt. Return van to dealers as they've obviously not carried out service properly.

Point out that damage may have occurred as a result of their failure and all remedial action should be done at no cost to yourself,

Suggest you confirm this in writing by taking a letter along with you to handover after you discuss.

same thing happen to me last year, to the dealers credit they held their hands up and sent an enginner to the campsite to change the damaged kitchen tap

I would check tap bodies, filters, pumps for cracks and boiler as said for any leaks . Shower heads and tap . When the system is thawed and used again it needs the pipes checked for splits and for connections popped off .

I would as said contact dealer and take some pics if you can for record in case you need them at a later date how the dealer left it full of water.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Were the drain cocks still closed when it came back fom the dealer? For water to freeze at the taps like that, the system must have held a significant amount in it - had the drain taps had been open, the majority of water in the system should have been expelled on your journey home.

That would show that the dealer had filled it up but not drained it!

Al.

I took mine for a service once and found the van had not been drained down after. They must consider towing with a full system is not a problem.

A phone call to the Service manager produced an apology but they did not take it very well when I said it would not be taken to them again.

Had mine serviced last week and found they had filled the system to check the boiler. Luckily we were going to a site straight after. so discovered in time. I have to admit I was surprised when hot water came out of the system on the site. If I had returned to storage I would probably have also fallen foul of this practice. You would think theyd drain down; but I suppose its in their workshop and it would make a mess!!

That really isn't your problem. They should return it to you serviced but in the same state they found it otherwise. My dealership actually reminded me to check all was drained down when I last popped in about something else.

Edited by blueflightmedic

Yes that has happened to us before now - I would ring them and explain the situation and say you want them to check it over and repair any damage as more than likely the taps and shower have been damaged by the ice. You might want to check the toilet as well and they often leave water in the flush!

Were the drain cocks still closed when it came back fom the dealer? For water to freeze at the taps like that, the system must have held a significant amount in it - had the drain taps had been open, the majority of water in the system should have been expelled on your journey home.

That would show that the dealer had filled it up but not drained it!

Al.

The drain cock was still closed as were all the taps and shower mixer valve,i rang the servce centre but they had gone home so left them a message to get back to me monday,i should have taken photos but by the time i had thought of that i had already started the heating. I had to do something as due to work etc i won't be able to get it back to them to sort for at least 2 weeks and couldn't leave it as it was so i put the truma on gas flat out and 2 x fan heaters blowing into the lockers for a few hours,eventually with the drain cock open water started to drain from it and the taps freed off,i checked every pipe joint i could get to and apart from condensation they seemed sound and i could not see any puddles of water anywhere as yet. The only worry to me is if the internals of the taps are damaged and if the water heater is o. k. ,i took the filter out of the housing and that seemed o. k. but the proof of the pudding will be when i introduce some water back into the system.

How awful! I have been in the position previously when I actually trusted our dealer to drain down after a service and like yourself I didn't check afterwards. I did exactly what you did and had a few small issues, the surge dampner had split and one of the mixer taps had a cracked cartridge. If the dealer try to deny it then show them the service report with the drain down box ticked, although they could say that you must have filled the system after the service.

Once the van is upto temperature it may be worth re pressuring the system to see if/what is damaged. Major freezing could have caused the water pump & heater to split. Hope it hasn't though and that you noticed it in time.

Ian

The drain cock was still closed as were all the taps and shower mixer valve,i rang the servce centre but they had gone home so left them a message to get back to me monday,i should have taken photos but by the time i had thought of that i had already started the heating. I had to do something as due to work etc i won't be able to get it back to them to sort for at least 2 weeks and couldn't leave it as it was so i put the truma on gas flat out and 2 x fan heaters blowing into the lockers for a few hours,eventually with the drain cock open water started to drain from it and the taps freed off,i checked every pipe joint i could get to and apart from condensation they seemed sound and i could not see any puddles of water anywhere as yet. The only worry to me is if the internals of the taps are damaged and if the water heater is o. k. ,i took the filter out of the housing and that seemed o. k. but the proof of the pudding will be when i introduce some water back into the system.

Hopefully you'll have caught it before the ice expanded and damaged any taps or pipe work - in any case the dealer is responsible as they had the 'van last!

Fingers crossed that any damage is minimal, and that your dealer responds responsibly!

Best regards for a positive outcome,

Al.

Irrespective of the fault, if you have the heating on, use it on a low setting. No really high temperatures, just slowly to thaw things.

Is the boiler still working? Did the boiler dump the water itself - I think most Trumas will dump water at 4 degrees C

Russell

I haven't tried the boiler as yet as i'm unsure if it is frozen or not and don't want to possibly compound the problem by intoducing a heat source to what could be a potentially be a sealed container. I think the best way will be to conect the van back up to the water and see if it flows through the boiler to the taps.

Hello grasmere, sorry to hear of your problems. Could I ask if the dealer servicing was an Approved Workshop?

Yes it is an Elddis approved workshop and have used them for the past 4 years.

Edited by grasmere59

Guest jks

My mobile service engineer said when he came a couple of weeks ago that during the winter they never fill the water system to test it. He just asked me if I was aware of any problems and I said no.

At least you know what they are doing if they come to your home.

My mobile service engineer said when he came a couple of weeks ago that during the winter they never fill the water system to test it. He just asked me if I was aware of any problems and I said no.

At least you know what they are doing if they come to your home.

Then I'm afraid he wrong. ..your paying him to test it not to ask you what is wrong!

Guest jks

Then I'm afraid he wrong. ..your paying him to test it not to ask you what is wrong!

Yes I know but I agreed. No point if there isn't a problem. He would have done it if I had wanted him to. I at least had the choice!

Yes according to the invoice it is an NCC approved workshop.

That's good, they should have the correct procedures in place for you to raise the concern.

What concerns me is that if that box was "ticked"(drained down) and not done what other boxes have been "ticked" and work not done.

I agree, personally i would ask to talk the the person who carried out the work and ask him/her why the box was ticked.

Hopefully they can put your mind at rest on Monday.