Sign in to follow this  
Lefthand Down

Jessops Demise?

I don't know, I was keeping an eye on Comet and their reductions were nothing special or below prices elsewhere. (plus it's 45 miles to the nearest shop for me)

Please note that the Jessops website will not currently process orders however you are able to read product descriptions, customer reviews and watch videos.

Our Print website continues to trade as normal. To process your photographic work please click on the PhotoLink on our main menu.

http://www. jessops. com/

http://www. jessops. c. ..aystoshop#phone

They are not honoring Gift Vouchers either. .

Shame about Jessops always gave a good service and were reasonably priced - was a bit of a surprise

Guest Inner State

It really illustrates the current climate, very sad.

J

I saw this on another site

I was reading an article yesterday, and as often is the case the reader's comments was more interesting in content. One of the posters who was an ex-photographic retailer himself explained how he and other similar privateers had been squeezed to the point of giving up by Jessops who were engaged in a hardened campaign of buying out family shops along the high streets of the land, financed by cheap 'city money' over a number of years.

What goes around, comes around?

Certainly Cumbria is now left with two camera shops for the whole county, both from the same small chain, All the independents have gone so it's pretty much internet or travel large distances now.

I was actually in a Jessops last weekend and was dismayed by the lack of stock on display

Interesting that the internet is seen as part of the problem, Jessops had a large site that sold far more than was normally in the shops.

Edited by Ich

Guest jks

My friend sold his two camera shops to Jessops a while back. He said they were able to sell cameras at almost the price he had to buy them at as an independent shop. He worked there for a couple of years and then retired leaving some of hs staff employed by them.

I feel very sorry for the staff as they are mostly very knowledgable regarding the products they were selling and nothing was ever too much trouble.

I did shop there but the last camera I bought they were miles out on price so bought it off the internet which I am sure is the reason they have gone as many others have done the same.

Another load of charity shops on the high street!!!!

Shame about Jessops always gave a good service and were reasonably priced - was a bit of a surprise

Sadly I wasn't surprised as I have been expecting and predicting this to happen since they closed a number of branches a couple of years ago. In recent times whenever I have visited Jessops branches throughout the country for reprints, I have thought there was an inadequate footfall. Some branches were running their D&P facilities in standby mode with the staff standing around waiting for customers.

It is sadly ironic that a company which was at one time probably the leading mail order photographic retailer has been unable to compete with the on-line sales market.

The problem that high street shops face are just getting worse, they've got to get the turnover just to pay their rents and rates and on top of that increased parking charges or limited parking times are just squeezing them out to the out of town centres and there's the competition of the internet - those companies that dont pay as much tax, have lower rates and rents and economies of scale.

We live in a rural area with virtually no public transport so as we've got to drive we might as well go to where we can get all of our shopping in one go.

I'll confess that probably 75% of our Christmas shopping came via the internet as most of the stuff was cheaper (even with the p&p) and we didn't have a 20 mile drive each way to the park & ride and the consequent staggering back loaded with bags and stuff on an overcrowded bus.

Our local town (actually a city - ELY) has more charity shops than is good for it and several closed and empty shops but the local council is now going to introduce parking charges - the cost of which will equate to the cost of fuel to the nearest park & ride at Cambridge, which has significantly more appeal in terms of shops, facilities and even ambience. So I'm not sure how they think they'll even recoup the cost of setting it up, let alone improving the town centre facilities.

On top of that, how many more TVs, cameras, computers etc can any one family buy, just to keep these places in business

The odd thing is they do trade online as well and I wonder if this will continue in the future.

Free next day delivery on orders over £50

Having said that the webite has now closed down when I checked the links I posted in post 3

Update. .......... they have reappeared. :unsure:

Guest jks

One of the reasons towns have so many charity shops is the fact the landlords would far rather have charities in their property than an independent trader. Charities don't go bankrupt! Town and county councils don't have the right to stop them.

Had personal experience of this when we had a shop in a small maker town. Very glad I don't have one now.

Edited by jks

I dont think charity shops pay rates either

Guest jks

I dont think charity shops pay rates either

Yes they do but only a percentage unless they have altered the rules.

I'm not at all surprised by Jessops' demise I'm afraid. They were usually always more expensive than other local dealers - Jacobs (now gone too!) and Calumet. Thye also really went over the top with memory cards and accessories when you bought a new camera from them. Many 'new to photography' customers got caught out by this and soon learned that they were up to a quarter of the price on-line and this did often cause some resentment - affecting any future business with these potentially lifetime customers. I personally was a lot sadder when Jacobs went bust as they at least had a tremendous choice of products in stock and were usualy always cheaper than Jessops. We're now left with only Calumet locally - which is a fantastic shop but geared more towards the pro and experienced amatuer photographer and can be a bit intimidating for novices to visit their shop. Perhaps this is Calumet's chance to try and advertise themselves to a wider marketplace? There's no shortage of photographic customers these days!

Retail photographic shops used to make a lot of their profits from developing and printing film, and we all know what happened to that. I worked at a camera shop in the West End of London in the seventies. A £100 camera would make us a fiver, a £6 D and P would make £3 profit. In the eighties it became a sandwich shop: developing and printing by post did for us in the same way that digital photography, home printing and the internet has done for Jessops.

But don't worry, Mary Portas and Callmedave will sort out the High Street. Yeah, right.

Guest jks

Mary Portas lives in cloud cuckoo land.

She is better off sticking to selling kinky knickers!

This is always sad to hear especially about a well known name. I must admit though that I didn't use them for my photographic needs as I didn't find the prices very competitive and the staff weren't particularly technically helpful.

I can remember the days when you had to queue to take your films into Jessops and queue to pick the prints up !

Bill

If anyone sees a Nikon f/2. 8 24-70 mm going please let me know . .... ;)

Edited by CornishExpat

If anyone sees a Nikon f/2. 8 24-70 mm going please let me know . .... ;)

One on Amazon. ...........

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2. 8G ED Lens at £1,219. 00

or

Sigma 24-70mm F2. 8 IF EX DG HSM Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital and Film SLR at £572. 96

Here's the problem, I guess:

http://www. digitalrev. com/product/nikon-coolpix-p7100-digital-camera/MTI4MzI_A

I bought this just before Christmas. £209 from Hong Kong including shipping. It was here in 4 days.

Don't think so, I bought my Samsung Galaxy camera for 299 from Jessops 1 week before they closed, also bag for half price, reduced insurance (still valid) and 10 pounds worth of printing, (not much use now) the place you suggest wants 370. The dearest I've seen it anywhere.

The staff were more than helpful and the two shops I visited were really busy, this may be due to the post Christmas spend of coupons and Christmas money.

I paid by Tesco coupons. The salesman said that Tesco was the major shareholder of Jesops. I have not substantiated this.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Tesco ?

They were ABM-AMRO then = HSBC ?

Dave

Sign in to follow this