Sign in to follow this  
Gone

Caravanning In France..........the Costs!

Like Dave225 we consider the cover (both British and European for unlimited time within the duration of the policy) to be really good value for what it provides. No, it doesn't cover everything that Red Pennant does, but for those of us who choose to use it, it provides what we need. We don't require 'continuation of holiday cover'. If we didn't get out of Britain we would just change our ferry crossing, and go later. If we broke down in France then we would be quite happy on the nearest campsite until the problems were solved, and we could get back on the road.

We paid our renewal by phone when it was due - there is a contact number and a contact email address on another forum.

What is a 'union'? According to their website prices 'start' at £130. ADAC 'starts' at £81. As far as I can see there is no medical cover at all with Britannia. ADAC covers you for any vehicle you are in, Britannia want another £28 for the same, so you are looking at £158 for similar cover. Personal choice at th eend of the day.

Surely everyone has heard of Trade Unions even in these benighted times. And as a Union and CSMA member my FULL Britannia cover costs me £120 a year (inc £16 CSMA membership) for full cover for myself and wife in any vehicle in the UK plus EU cover for one specified vehicle (including caravan). I don't think you will get medical cover with ADAC for your £81.

You get the following as part of ADAC cover (sorry copy and paste made the box a mile long!) will try again, but quite a few 'non-vehicle emergencies' are covered including sending out your spectacles or drugs from home, covering the costs of visiting sick relative including hotel costs, repatriation after an illness including by air ambulance if required, help with loss of ID Cards or passports, financial assistance if money is stolen or in other emergency circumstances, and several others.

Vehicle cover includes breakdown cover for you and your partner, in any car, either as the driver or a passenger, in Europe, or in Britain, plus cover for the caravan, both in Britain and Europe. For the cost (£81. 00) I think it offers good value for what it provides, and for the benefit of those who don't know, ADAC is the German equivalent of what our AA or RAC used to be years ago - a members club, run solely for the benefit of members.

Edited by ValA

Sorry, it's still a bit lengthy!

Personal emergencies

Medical repatriation is necessary.

In a lengthy illness or injury you need to visit someone in hospital

You want relative to be able to visit you

Children travelling with you need to be brought home

Pets travelling with you need to be brought home

On a trip the driver suffers from an illness or injury

You need an emergency translation abroad.

You left prescription drugs, or your prescription glasses at home and require them to be brought to you abroad

You must return home due to an unscheduled event.

You need to be repatratriated after an emergency

Help in the event that your ID documents passports or credit cards were lost or stolen

You or your family are in an emergency situation on a journey and need help

Financial aid is needed in an emergency situation

Vehicle Emergencies

Your vehicle is defective and cannot be repaired on the spot or the vehicle was stolen and recovered

You need a stay overnight because of vehicle damage or defects

On a trip your vehicle fails or is stolen.

You require an emergency vehicle, or must continue to travel by public transport, or have to return home.

You have a breakdown or an accident and require on the spot roadside assistance.

You have a breakdown or an accident and the vehicle must be towed away

Your vehicle is broken down off the road.

Your car key is defective, or is lost or locked in the car

You need spare parts unavailable abroad

Your vehicle must have customs paid abroad or be scrapped

You must take on an additional journey after a car breakdown or other failure

Edited by ValA

The reasons we're with Brittannia Rescue are that it suits our needs perfectly, the price is fine for us . ...... and it's not German !!! :D

Edited by Shirl250

Sorry, it's still a bit lengthy!

Personal emergencies

Medical repatriation is necessary.

In a lengthy illness or injury you need to visit someone in hospital

You want relative to be able to visit you

Children travelling with you need to be brought home

Pets travelling with you need to be brought home

On a trip the driver suffers from an illness or injury

You need an emergency translation abroad.

You left prescription drugs, or your prescription glasses at home and require them to be brought to you abroad

You must return home due to an unscheduled event.

You need to be repatratriated after an emergency

Help in the event that your ID documents passports or credit cards were lost or stolen

You or your family are in an emergency situation on a journey and need help

Financial aid is needed in an emergency situation

Vehicle Emergencies

Your vehicle is defective and cannot be repaired on the spot or the vehicle was stolen and recovered

You need a stay overnight because of vehicle damage or defects

On a trip your vehicle fails or is stolen.

You require an emergency vehicle, or must continue to travel by public transport, or have to return home.

You have a breakdown or an accident and require on the spot roadside assistance.

You have a breakdown or an accident and the vehicle must be towed away

Your vehicle is broken down off the road.

Your car key is defective, or is lost or locked in the car

You need spare parts unavailable abroad

Your vehicle must have customs paid abroad or be scrapped

You must take on an additional journey after a car breakdown or other failure

One can also add that if the breakdown occurs in the UK ADAC call out the AA for you. They also cover anyone driving any vehicle you or your spouse own, so children for example are covered as well for the whole thing if they use 'Daddy's car'.

Surely everyone has heard of Trade Unions even in these benighted times. And as a Union and CSMA member my FULL Britannia cover costs me £120 a year (inc £16 CSMA membership) for full cover for myself and wife in any vehicle in the UK plus EU cover for one specified vehicle (including caravan). I don't think you will get medical cover with ADAC for your £81.

Yes, I know what a union is, I was being flippant. Unfortunately I had hoped that like dinosaurs they had become extinct, but it appears they wish to destroy what is left of Britain once their 'hireling' Milliband gets re-elected. No one has ever stated you will get full medical cover with ADAC, but at the price you can easily add on a medical insurance that suits your personal requirements. Your E111 card wil cover medical bills in the EU but will not repatriate you if necessary. ADAC covers this.

The reasons we're with Brittannia Rescue are that it suits our needs perfectly, the price is fine for us . ...... and it's not German !!! :D

That is not very European of you. Bet you go down the road singing 'Rule Britannia'. Of course if you break down in Germany, and Britannia send out a dastardly German breakdown truck to help you, will you turn it away?

Edited by Dave225

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That is not very European of you. Bet you go down the road singing 'Rule Britannia'. Of course if you break down in Germany, and Britannia send out a dastardly German breakdown truck to help you, will you turn it away?

Remind me what your leader is currently saying about Europe please! :)

One can also add that if the breakdown occurs in the UK ADAC call out the AA for you. They also cover anyone driving any vehicle you or your spouse own, so children for example are covered as well for the whole thing if they use 'Daddy's car'.

Yes, I know what a union is, I was being flippant. Unfortunately I had hoped that like dinosaurs they had become extinct, but it appears they wish to destroy what is left of Britain once their 'hireling' Milliband gets re-elected. No one has ever stated you will get full medical cover with ADAC, but at the price you can easily add on a medical insurance that suits your personal requirements. Your E111 card wil cover medical bills in the EU but will not repatriate you if necessary. ADAC covers this.

If you know where I can easily get medical cover for more than about 60 days let me know because much as I would have liked to use ADAC for its all year round cover I could not find anything that was not going to cost me more than I already pay using Red P. Bye the way your anti union rant stinks and you should keep your odious views to yourself, oops I dont supose you will be putting me onto the cheap insurance now

You get the following as part of ADAC cover (sorry copy and paste made the box a mile long!) will try again, but quite a few 'non-vehicle emergencies' are covered including sending out your spectacles or drugs from home, covering the costs of visiting sick relative including hotel costs, repatriation after an illness including by air ambulance if required, help with loss of ID Cards or passports, financial assistance if money is stolen or in other emergency circumstances, and several others.

Isn't this related to German nationals who have their own health cover and even they need to take out medical (travel) insurance for cover outside Germany which is why ADAC offer it.

Is it really true that someone from ADAC will collect spectacles or medication from the U. K. to deliver to someone on holiday in Europe? It would be much less expensive to get a prescription filled locally and pay for it.

The 'air repatriation' quote is misleading. It always depends on it being considered essential by the doctor or hospital and would be covered by the travel insurance which every U. K. resident should have when travelling abroad.

I agree with you Beejay - that everyone should take out travel insurance - but everyone unfortunately doesn't! Many people consider that their EHIC provides health insurance - and I've even known people go without even that. We're not personally likely to ring them to pick up our glasses, and we do take our separate travel insurance, but I was just quoting what they do offer in response to an earlier post. Apparently, though, ADAC also offers proper 'travel insurance' which is also very good value - and does cover British nationals - so I may explore that before we pay out a lot more this year.

Whatever ADAC provides (or doesn't provide) as part of the 'add-ons' I still think that their annual breakdown recovery for Britain and Europe is very good value especially for those of us who are away for extended periods, or for more than one European trip a year.

To be fair, for caravanners, only Red Pennant is 'be all and end all' cover - you get what you pay for - and we used to pay for it, but not these days!

Edited by ValA

I just checked an online quote with Red Pennant, for our 'sort of holiday' and for an annual trip covering personal and motoring Plus cover, it would cost £461. 00 - which is rather more than we pay for ADAC and health cover, taking into account our 'pre-existing' conditions.

I agree with you Beejay - that everyone should take out travel insurance - but everyone unfortunately doesn't! Many people consider that their EHIC provides health insurance - and I've even known people go without even that. We're not personally likely to ring them to pick up our glasses, and we do take our separate travel insurance, but I was just quoting what they do offer in response to an earlier post. Apparently, though, ADAC also offers proper 'travel insurance' which is also very good value - and does cover British nationals - so I may explore that before we pay out a lot more this year.

Whatever ADAC provides (or doesn't provide) as part of the 'add-ons' I still think that their annual breakdown recovery for Britain and Europe is very good value especially for those of us who are away for extended periods, or for more than one European trip a year.

To be fair, for caravanners, only Red Pennant is 'be all and end all' cover - you get what you pay for - and we used to pay for it, but not these days!

totally agree. I thought it was the ONLY option, but having looked deeper its not. Our bank offers us fantastic travel insurance, that is all included in our monthly charge, we also get free roadside assistance from Mondial, BUT what ADAC offers is perfect.

Cover for breakdown if it happens with our van on the back in the UK & our trip to France. It means i will not need Mayday and not need to fork out £165 for cover JUST for 2 weeks. Those alone cost me over £200 per year, so even if i never go to France again. ........it's still worthwhile for my needs. It may not suit everyone, but it is nice to know you can pick and choose and there IS options elsewhere.

:D :D :D

If you know where I can easily get medical cover for more than about 60 days let me know because much as I would have liked to use ADAC for its all year round cover I could not find anything that was not going to cost me more than I already pay using Red P. Bye the way your anti union rant stinks and you should keep your odious views to yourself, oops I dont supose you will be putting me onto the cheap insurance now

My apologies, I shall immediately go away and bow down before the portrait of the 'Great Leader' Bob Crowe. By the way the discussion was regarding comparison between Britannia and ADAC and whether there was any medical cover. Neither offer direct medical but ADAC will offer ancillary services if anyone is hospitalised. I have also stated that anyone who wishes a full 'bells and whistles' cover can get it from either CC or C%CC. As ADAC is basically 30% cheaper even with a 'union' bonus, and according to both organisations terms and conditons seem to offer more, then economically I see no advantage in using Britannia, however, as again stated, it is everyone's personal choice what they use.

By the way, I have never heard of CSMA, and had to look it up. Seems to be a civil service organisation and as I never worked except in the private sector, obviously had never come across it. Unions are pretty much public sector organisations nowadays.

My apologies, I shall immediately go away and bow down before the portrait of the 'Great Leader' Bob Crowe. By the way the discussion was regarding comparison between Britannia and ADAC and whether there was any medical cover. Neither offer direct medical but ADAC will offer ancillary services if anyone is hospitalised. I have also stated that anyone who wishes a full 'bells and whistles' cover can get it from either CC or C%CC. As ADAC is basically 30% cheaper even with a 'union' bonus, and according to both organisations terms and conditons seem to offer more, then economically I see no advantage in using Britannia, however, as again stated, it is everyone's personal choice what they use.

By the way, I have never heard of CSMA, and had to look it up. Seems to be a civil service organisation and as I never worked except in the private sector, obviously had never come across it. Unions are pretty much public sector organisations nowadays.

Since it was a discussion about travel insurance how come your obsessions about trades unions had to be displayed this is a caravanning forum.

I looked at ADAC because so many people were impressed, we usually use RP( belt and braces,) and think that they are marvelous, we go for about 7 weeks. so I looked at health insurance as well, for the two of us over 70, heart attack me 13 years ago, type 2 diabetes TOH, it was so expensive RP worked out cheaper, also there are often clauses that slip through the gap with 2 insurance's and I'm sure RP covers everything. Also I think we are going a bit off topic as, spannaz was asking about cost of the whole holiday. :unsure:

Edited by hairdresser

But Spannaz has already decided to go with ADAC so further discussion on this part of his question may be quite useful to him.

Since it was a discussion about travel insurance how come your obsessions about trades unions had to be displayed this is a caravanning forum.

If you check you will see that it was someone else who brought it up, not I. Someone felt that bringing up the fact that he/she was a Union member and received preferential rates, was important. I certainly do not see why any commercial Company should feel the need to offer discounts on a quasi political, or any form of restricted basis, unless they have vested interests in which case i feel there is no need for me as a member of the general working public to be disadvantaged and will certainly not use them. Tinges of Freemasonry start ringing warning bells. As for being a 100% caravanning Forum I could respectfully suggest you look at the list of sub Forums. Many subjects not related to caravanning per se are listed.

It also appears that humour is distinclty lacking among the 'Brothers' however if anyone can not see the funny side of Bob Crowe, then they really do need to seek help.

I looked at ADAC because so many people were impressed, we usually use RP( belt and braces,) and think that they are marvelous, we go for about 7 weeks. so I looked at health insurance as well, for the two of us over 70, heart attack me 13 years ago, type 2 diabetes TOH, it was so expensive RP worked out cheaper, also there are often clauses that slip through the gap with 2 insurance's and I'm sure RP covers everything. Also I think we are going a bit off topic as, spannaz was asking about cost of the whole holiday. :unsure:

Even RP will ask for you to declare any medical conditions and so you will need to discuss your requirements with them directly and agree what can, and cannot be covered. Any premium will reflect the degree of risk you, or anyone in your party poses. Do rem,ember that RP do not provide the insurance, they are merely the agent for one of the main insurance Companies who will have their own conditions and exceptions. As long as you have made everything clear at the start and insurance cover has been accepted, then you are indeed covered, if not, then disappointment may arise in the event of a claim.

Even RP will ask for you to declare any medical conditions and so you will need to discuss your requirements with them directly and agree what can, and cannot be covered. Any premium will reflect the degree of risk you, or anyone in your party poses. Do rem,ember that RP do not provide the insurance, they are merely the agent for one of the main insurance Companies who will have their own conditions and exceptions. As long as you have made everything clear at the start and insurance cover has been accepted, then you are indeed covered, if not, then disappointment may arise in the event of a claim.

It is my understanding that yes RP want to know about pre-existing conditions (who wouldn't when providing insurance).

But, as I understand it they do not vary the premium. . they either will cover you for the premium or they will not provide cover.

I'm open to being corrected. .. but as a long term RP user. . and both of us have pre-existings. ...that's the way I believe RP works.

G.

P. S. Forgot to say that pre-existing conditions can also apply to immediate family. My 85 year old Mum was hospitalised last year and if she is hospitalised again with the same condition and we choose to cancel our vacation. .. we may not be covered for costs incurred!!!

Edited by chapmag

If you check you will see that it was someone else who brought it up, not I. Someone felt that bringing up the fact that he/she was a Union member and received preferential rates, was important. I certainly do not see why any commercial Company should feel the need to offer discounts on a quasi political, or any form of restricted basis, unless they have vested interests in which case i feel there is no need for me as a member of the general working public to be disadvantaged and will certainly not use them. Tinges of Freemasonry start ringing warning bells. As for being a 100% caravanning Forum I could respectfully suggest you look at the list of sub Forums. Many subjects not related to caravanning per se are listed.

It also appears that humour is distinclty lacking among the 'Brothers' however if anyone can not see the funny side of Bob Crowe, then they really do need to seek help.

You really do have a problem with union members don't you. A perfectly innocent remark by a forum member that as a consequence belonging to an organization to which he has contributed, he gets some insurance benefit, seems to have you seeing conspiracies and dark forces at work.

Insurance companies target specific groups of the population where they see low risk and profits to be made, perhaps they regard members of a Civil Service Union as more responsible and less likely to claim than members of the "general working public" they are certainly not doing it for anyones benefit but their shareholders.

You really do have a problem with union members don't you. A perfectly innocent remark by a forum member that as a consequence belonging to an organization to which he has contributed, he gets some insurance benefit, seems to have you seeing conspiracies and dark forces at work.

Insurance companies target specific groups of the population where they see low risk and profits to be made, perhaps they regard members of a Civil Service Union as more responsible and less likely to claim than members of the "general working public" they are certainly not doing it for anyones benefit but their shareholders.

I have no problem with Unions except the fact they seem to forgotten the reasons they were formed in the first place. Many private Companies have 'employee councils' which manage to a degree to achieve anything a Union could do, without promoting the degree of confrontation that seems to be endemic in Unions. They certainly do not decide that their best course of action is to inconvenience the innocent general public at every turn. Of course as most Unions have now restricted themselves to the public sector, this is a convenient action for them. The 'employers' who are publically funded bodies suffer little harm as the taxpayer, both private and public, picks up the bill. As most strikes in recent years have been 'approved' by less than a majority of Union members one can assume that many members do not share their 'masters' enthusiasm for confrontation but work in an environment where not belonging is still considered a detriment to any job prospects rather than wholehearted support.

My original comments were submitted 'tongue in cheek' and meant as a form of humour, but evidently Union supporters such as yourself are unable to recognise that and as for the bizarre comment that Union members are superior drivers to the general public, is so laughable as to be unworthy of any comment. I suspect you will find the 'discount;' is a selling point to attract customers it might not find anywhere else. Tesco's for example offer Clubcard points which are very popular with people from all walks of life. Both caravanning Clubs also offer various deals to their members in order to promote business, but I doubt they would ever suggest these as a form of elitism.

And that is my last word on this topic. Life is far too short.

Thank Goodness for that ! :rolleyes:

Thank Goodness for that ! :rolleyes:

Me too I think

And me.