Sign in to follow this  
Gone

Caravanning In France..........the Costs!

Ha ha you must have been watching me last year trying to get the sat set up to watch the Olympics. It took me the best part of a week having 10 minute blasts at it. Just got it going in time to watch Mo win his second gold!

Practice makes perfect, even if you practice at home, soon it'll be second nature.

Practice makes perfect, even if you practice at home, soon it'll be second nature.

Setting it up was easy, it was finding the ***** satellite trough the trees which was the problem.

Setting it up was easy, it was finding the ***** satellite trough the trees which was the problem.

Take a chainsaw next time!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

I have sorted out Red Pennant cover, travelling that far without cover would be mad, yes £165 for 2 weeks does seem alot, but will be pennies in comparison to the costs if anything does go wrong!!!

You could consider ADAC, the german equivalent of the AA. About £100 for the WHOLE YEAR, covers you and the wife for ANY vehicle you own or are in at the time of the incident and also covers you in the UK (they have an arrangement through the AA).

You have to call a German number but they speak good English and you will have to use snail-mail (post) for all forms but otherwise a bargain.

We take the compass when we walk around the site before choosing the pitch,,

You could consider ADAC, the german equivalent of the AA. About £100 for the WHOLE YEAR, covers you and the wife for ANY vehicle you own or are in at the time of the incident and also covers you in the UK (they have an arrangement through the AA).

You have to call a German number but they speak good English and you will have to use snail-mail (post) for all forms but otherwise a bargain.

yes i have looked into that too. AA want nearly £150 just for breakdown cover. We have the free travel medical insurance via HSBC advance account, it is merely to cover us SHOULD the car breakdown (it is 8 years old bless lol) and more so making sure they'll recover the caravan safely. Being towed somewhere is fine, but if they leave the caravan or charge extra that could get costly very quickly.

android app is fantastic, you choose the satellite, and it uses the camera to display a picture as to where it needs to be pointed!!! Seems to have rave reviews and is free!!!

WE only use cash, and carry enough for most eventualities, we have no health insurance, no breakdown cover, no repatriation, nothing, if we have a problem, we sort it, France has garages, hospitals and believe it or not caravans, we spend months in europe, France Italy and switzerland and we have had many problems as you do but we sort em.

No breakdown cover, years ago when we had an American RV we broke down the insurance was useless, so we sorted it ourselves.

When we were in Denmark my wife had her purse stolen so we had to cancel all credit cards, we were then stranded, no money, we have been sick and my wife was rushed to hospital in Germany, EHIC card sorted it, we have had a wheel crack in half in Switzerland and many many more things but we sorted it easy, these countries have all the facilities that the UK has if not more.

I had on one journey 5 yes 5 blow outs. The worst case of a breakdown was in the UK, and I still had to sort it myself and we were booked on a ferry that night.

One point most tolls are now unmanned and you need a card to get through, be warned, not all cards work in them.

It is a relief to me to get out of the UK and relax in europe I find the things easier to deal with.

this is me it might not suit everybody, it is how I like to operate, besides living in spain I would get cover for nothing even if I wanted it.

Britannia Rescue do the same for a similar cost - £95 with a union membership. .......

One point most tolls are now unmanned and you need a card to get through, be warned, not all cards work in them.

True that a lot of tolls are unmanned but not most and there is always at least one which takes cash.

No, you can e mail the forms to them as attachments. However, if you have any health concerns check the medical cover is all you need. It is good, but basic.

The ADAC thing is brilliant, just worked out by going with them i no longer need Mayday costs, I still have normal breakdown through our HSBC account, and travel insurance.

As the Mayday is due up just before we go, it'll save me a fair few £££££'s by combining the 2, and being able to travel again later in the year if we get the chance, with no extra cost!

Edited by spannaz

I have the ADAC documents in English if anyone would like a copy to see exactly what is covered - you can PM me.

One slight snag I have discovered is when it comes to renewal time you will probably have to use IBAN as they send you the renewal using a domestic German payment form for Landesbake in Munchen. However, any UK bank will do this for you. You could send cash but risky.

Apart from that slight niggle, works well.

Syandi's statement about there always being a manned toll booth on the autoroutes is not totally correct. Whilst there is normally at least one manned booth on the main autoroutes with their row of toll booths, when you turn off the autoroute at a junction there is frequently no manned booth, particularly if it is not a major exit with only two booths. These automatic toll booths take cards but there is a cash alternative. There is a push button help facility and the voice that answers can, from experience, see you via a camera link. We travel with at least 2 cards and always try to have sufficient € available in case they don't work - it has only happened once in many uses and that was about 5 years ago.

Syandi's statement about there always being a manned toll booth on the autoroutes is not totally correct. Whilst there is normally at least one manned booth on the main autoroutes with their row of toll booths, when you turn off the autoroute at a junction there is frequently no manned booth, particularly if it is not a major exit with only two booths. These automatic toll booths take cards but there is a cash alternative. There is a push button help facility and the voice that answers can, from experience, see you via a camera link. We travel with at least 2 cards and always try to have sufficient € available in case they don't work - it has only happened once in many uses and that was about 5 years ago.

Indeed so, and on Sunday's even main routes may have no manned booths. Spain on the other hand always ahs at least one manned booth every day, everywhere.

We use cash and it is fun finding the slots as the machines have it in different places, typical French. Mind you we have seen the French getting just as flummoxed. Yes, you can use cards but as some tolls can be as little as 90 cents, it seems daft. Also for that amount why have a toll in the first place. Again, typical French.

Pitch was allocated and to be fair anything with no trees would not have been as good a location.

One slight snag I have discovered is when it comes to renewal time you will probably have to use IBAN as they send you the renewal using a domestic German payment form for Landesbake in Munchen. However, any UK bank will do this for you. You could send cash but risky.

Or do what I do phone um up when you get the renewal letter and pay over the phone with a debit or credit card all easy in English too :-)

No, you can e mail the forms to them as attachments. However, if you have any health concerns check the medical cover is all you need. It is good, but basic.

Britannia Rescue do the same for a similar cost - £95 with a union membership. .......

;)

;)

What is a 'union'? According to their website prices 'start' at £130. ADAC 'starts' at £81. As far as I can see there is no medical cover at all with Britannia. ADAC covers you for any vehicle you are in, Britannia want another £28 for the same, so you are looking at £158 for similar cover. Personal choice at th eend of the day.

I suggest that you re-read my post or go to specsavers. .

Personal choice at th eend of the day.

Yup !

Edited by Shirl250

Why can't you phone themup and pay by credit card?

I don't believe ADAC gives you dual recovery ie. continuation of journey to holiday destination like Red Pennant or Mayday, otherwise it seems very good value.

I don't believe ADAC gives you dual recovery ie. continuation of journey to holiday destination like Red Pennant or Mayday, otherwise it seems very good value.

Compare the costs. What do you expect for £81 per annum? Of course if you wish a 5 star service then it is available, at a price. One can of course also go on any holiday expecting the worst, and therefore need to take precautions. Yes, the unexpected can happen, but is it a definite? If not then live a little, save some money and enjoy your trip. Maybe we have been lucky but innealry 35 years we havenever had to claim. I of course hope that continues. Yes, we have had mishaps but have sorted them ourselves.

To each his own as they say.

Why can't you phone themup and pay by credit card?

Good point. |However I used IBAN free this year so maybe next year.