Cool Box - Recommend?

jeffersgb

I'm looking for a decent 12v/230w coolbox/mini fridge for use in Italy this summer (July/August) to supplement our caravan fridge. The one we took to Italy 2 years ago couldn't cope with the temperatures there. Think it was bought in Tesco's but it was made in Italy!!!

Can anyone recommend one that has performed well for them in the high temperatures you get in the MED area?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff

I am sure you will get plenty of suggestion but we purchased a Halfords large 12v coolbox last year and I have to say that I was most impressed with the results. We used it in the South of France and it was most useful way of supplementing the fridge. We also purchased the adaptor to run it off 230 volts and plugged it into 12v whilst on the move.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

A couple of years ago I purchase a Halfords Electric Coolbox 18 Litre capacity for camping purposes.

On its first outing I filled it full of frozen goods plugged it in to the car cigarette lighter

I left the coolbox plugged into the car overnight.

In the morning I came to start the car and there wasn’t enough power in the battery to operate the central locking system. The battery was completely lifeless.

I was flabbergasted that even though the items I put in the box was frozen and the ambient temperature over night was fairly low the cool box drained the battery.

Following this episode I only had the cool box on when the engine was running and just used it as a cool box at other times.

I subsequently sold it on Ebay last year.

So the moral of the story is don’t run it of the battery alone as they have a high electrical consumption.

Desperado

. ..............plugged it in to the car cigarette lighter. I left the coolbox plugged into the car overnight.

In the morning I came to start the car and there wasn’t enough power in the battery to operate the central locking system. The battery was completely lifeless.

. ...........................

5026[/snapback]

One would run it off the battery while the car is in motion. Plug the coolbox in and it runs! Not really surprised at the outcome.

One would run it off the battery while the car is in motion.   Plug the coolbox in and it runs!  Not really surprised at the outcome.

5057[/snapback]

I have the Halfords one too - and use it in the car when travelling - works a treat !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

I bought one from Argos 2 summers ago, cost around £50. Look out for the new summer catalogue coming out this Saturday. Mine has an automatic cut off so that if you leave it plugged in but without the engine running it will shut off after a while ( hour or so I think) preventing the car battery going flat.

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

So the moral of the story is don’t run it of the battery alone as they have a high electrical consumption.

Desperado

5026[/snapback]

Car Batteries are not like leisure batteries they're not designed for prolonged use.

Guest john1215

We have a "Camping Gaz Icetime 32" which runs off 12 volt. I use it the boot of my Passat (it just fits with air circulation room). The box is wired so that it cannot flatten the car battery. The motor cuts off when the battery voltage reaches a certain level.

On site, I run it from the hookup supply through a transformer.

It copes with temperatures in France above 35 degrees without any problem.

We bought it from CCC Sheffield.

john1215

Personally speaking, I had a Halfords box for many years and it was very good. When it died (would only heat!), I bought an absorbtion box which runs off 12v, 240v and gas. The make is 'Combicool' and it is identical to the Electrolux type. This has the advantage of being able to be used off gas (more Calor use!!!) when we don't have hook up, as well as in the car. It also needs no adapter.

All these coolboxes have limitations in hot weather however, especially when being used on mains in foreign parts (the voltage tends to be well below ours - nominally 220v, but often 190v!). To overcome this, a few years ago, I bought a table top compressor type fridge (just like the ones at home that click on and hum for a while!). This is only the same size as the coolbox but cools down much quicker, more efficiently and much, much colder than any coolbox type. The only problem I found was that the missus kept using it to keep the meat in rather than the beer - she said it was more important to keep that cool . ...... WHAT? No amount of reasoned arguement could disuade her from this frankly absurd notion! :o

Keep the faith.

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Guest john1215
All these coolboxes have limitations in hot weather however, especially when being used on mains in foreign parts (the voltage tends to be well below ours - nominally 220v, but often 190v!).

Martin W

5295[/snapback]

Martin,

Hi, in your new disguise,

I agree about the reduced voltage and it is noticeable although I don't think it is that much of a problem, ours does its job, keeps the beer, wine and the mussels cool, it just takes slightly longer to get there.

john1215

Hi Jeff

I had a camping gaz model when we went to Italy. Bought for exactly same reasons as you in Leclerc the year before. However I must warn you that that the thing did not work properly in Italy! The mains transformer need 5 or 6 amps [i think] to get it going. Most sites in Italy only supply 3 amps so it doesn't work. I was quite disappointed in it so I have now bought a 3 way proper portable fridge and i run it on mains where possible but gas where the voltage is low or when on rallies. The 12v bit is fine in the car

Hope this helps

Regards

Guest john1215

I've noticed an increase on the number of caravanner's bringing a "domestic" type fridge on holiday, particularly abroad. Some site owners also tend to hire them out to people using their sites.

john1215

I've noticed an increase on the number of caravanner's bringing a "domestic" type fridge on holiday, particularly abroad. Some site owners also tend to hire them out to people using their sites.

john1215

6011[/snapback]

When the kids came with us, the constant opening and closing of the fridge for their drinks meant it couldn't cope with the continental heat so we bought a small domestic fridge around a couple of feet square. It works a treat. Its small enough to be carried in the boot. I think they are now sold as 'table top fridges'.

Thanks for all your replies. I do like the 3 way types but they seem a bit bulky and heavy, 16kg. I wouldn't use it on gas anyway. I think I am swaying towards one of the new generation cool boxes by Waeco, the Tropicool ThermoelectricTC-32 which cools up to 30degrees below the ambient temperature. (Mains/12v).This only weighs in at 8kg and is less bulky too. They are on special offer at the moment from Mini Coolers

http://www. minicoolers. co. uk/products/waeco/tc32. htm

A bit expensive but we will be saving a lot on all the ruined food we won't have to throw away.

Any experiences with this model are welcome.

Jeff

Thanks for all your replies. I  do like the 3 way types but they seem a bit bulky and heavy, 16kg. I wouldn't use it on gas anyway. I think I am swaying towards one of the new generation cool boxes by Waeco, the Tropicool ThermoelectricTC-32  which cools up to 30degrees below the ambient temperature. (Mains/12v).This only weighs in at 8kg and is less bulky too. They are on special offer at the moment from Mini Coolers

A bit expensive but we will be saving a lot on all the ruined food we won't have to throw away.

Jeff

6503[/snapback]

Thanks for all your replies. I  do like the 3 way types but they seem a bit bulky and heavy, 16kg. I wouldn't use it on gas anyway. I think I am swaying towards one of the new generation cool boxes by Waeco, the Tropicool ThermoelectricTC-32  which cools up to 30degrees below the ambient temperature. (Mains/12v).This only weighs in at 8kg and is less bulky too. They are on special offer at the moment from Mini Coolers

Jeff

6503[/snapback]

I went ahead and ordered the Waeco Tropicool ThermoelectricTC-32 cool box and it only took 2 days to arrive from Mini Coolers. Can't wait to try it out in some hot weather.

Jeff

Jeff

6503[/snapback]

I went ahead and ordered the Waeco Tropicool ThermoelectricTC-32 cool box and it only took 2 days to arrive from Mini Coolers. Can't wait to try it out in some hot weather.

Jeff