Sign in to follow this  
Brocher12

Alde Wet System

I have just purchased a new Lunar Delta TI with Alde heating. I switched it on today at 12:30 (Temp 11degrees) at 18:20 the temperature was 22. 2. Temp set at 25degrees. I put a fan heater under the seat beside the radiator on FAN only and the caravan temp increase by a degree within an hour. Surely this should heat up faster than this. I have had the notion of fitting a few 12v PC fans to the bottom of the radiators to increase air flow as all radiators and pipes are unbearable to touch and must be properly primed. Any thoughts on this. These would be wired through a relay and the relay switched with the feed to the tank pump.

Cheers Kenny.

What was the heating powered by gas or electricity? If electricity, at what level was it set ?

In essence was there enough heat input to raise the temperature to 25 C?

Using fans might conceivably alter air flow to the control panel's thermostat leading to changes in "observed" temperatures.

My van has double [false] bottoms in the furniture to duct air to the radiators and space between the furniture and van's side so hot air can convect away. Is your van made in a way the radiators can freely function?

If you have the boiler mounted circulation pump check that its on the correct speed setting.

Assuming you are running the system on electric select the highest rating, bearing in mind the hookup rating.

The system will warm up quicker if you use both gas and electric together.

Why do you need the temperature to be so high ?, I have tried the ALDE in my new Lunar & when it had got up to 19. 5c I just turned off the gas & left it on electric only. It was very comfortable to sit in even though it was just above freezing outside,my wife is a lot less hardy than me & she thought it was ok also. I think that the way the heating warms up the seats & surrounding furniture makes the van seem very cosy. I dont think I could stand it much warmer without stripping down to shorts & T shirt.

We've got a DeltaRS and I've never had the temp set above 22degC as it would be to hot.

As already said if you want faster heat up start it on gas and electric and then switch it to electric only and it stays nice and warm. I've only ever did that once on the day we got van as I was having a play with it and I did have to bleed it a couple of times as it was noisey, (tank mounted pump)

I know the manual is not very good, on the lower panel settings you can alter what temps it comes on and off at so theres not so much of a temp cycle, so the temp doesnt drop to low before the boiler fires up.

enjoy your new van :)

This was only powered by 2 kW electric. But the radiators were so hot unbearable to touch( would of burned), I am thinking that there is not enough circulatory path for the convection. I for one do not want to sit for 4-5 hours until the van is cosy, thus setting up some PC 12v fans at 0. 3w to enhance the air circulation would allow the van to heat up far quicker at minimum cost. I have the expansion tank mounted pump. I do not need the temp this high, as mentioned i have just purchased this van and am 'sussing' it out. We normally start our season in March which readily gives us snow and finish in October again giving us snow this year.

Edited by Brocher12

Interesting concept Kenny and may just work? Just installed some Jaga radiators on a job at work and they have tiny little fan units - not unlike PC fans strapped on the top. They're supposed to increase the output by about 30% (don't quote me on that). Worth a Google for Jaga rads - might give you some tips?

Edited by dougiew39

Interesting concept Kenny and may just work? Just installed some Jaga radiators on a job at work and they have tiny little fan units - not unlike PC fans strapped on the top. They're supposed to increase the output by about 30% (don't quote me on that). Worth a Google for Jaga rads - might give you some tips?

I am going to order some fans and wire them up to see what the difference is, will post on here.

As mentioned on initial post, these will be 12v and wired through a relay triggered by the 12v supply to the circulation pump.

Edited by Brocher12

Had a look on the jaga site but no mention of the fans. Do you have a link or brochure?

I am almost sure that I read somewhere that Alde heating, when running on 2kw ehu will only raise the temp to 20 degrees higher than the outside temp. That being said if the outside temp is only around 2 degrees you will only reach 22 degrees inside. Running on gas as well as electric does improve temps also quicker.

We are learning the Alde heating system.

Gas and electric to boost the heat output to max and once the van is warm use electric to keep it ticking over.

Doesn't take that long with gas and elec, but it is heating the fabric of the caravan, hence holding the heat.

Wouldn't want fans running in the background

Unless the boiler thermostat is actually cutting off the power then the van will not get more heat input with the fans; with or without them, the input remains at the two kW.

If the rads don't emit the heat, as you say because they are strangled of convection air flow then yes the fans will help but only by extracting the heat, allowing the 2 kWs of electrical power/heat to remain "on" for more of the time.

Before greatly complicating things I would try it on both gas and gas plus electricity as the gas might get to a higher inhibited water temperature and improve the emission. The gas alone doubles the potential heat input, the two together treble it, so will have massive effects on heat up time if the rads can emit those higher powers.

The 2 kW really is not a lot of power to get the bulk of the van structure and air up to 20 plus degrees, it will inevitably be a slow process.

Are your expectations of how 2 kWs can perform overly optimistic?

Unlike blown air the Alde is warming all the van progressively, not warming just the air where you are. Heating the air, as opposed to heating up everything, obviously can respond very much more quickly but also takes ages to finally heat the whole van air plus structure.

If it needs fans applied to these unblow rads then the design is wrong, either radiator air flow or area of radiators provided.

Edited by JTQ

I am almost sure that I read somewhere that Alde heating, when running on 2kw ehu will only raise the temp to 20 degrees higher than the outside temp. That being said if the outside temp is only around 2 degrees you will only reach 22 degrees inside. Running on gas as well as electric does improve temps also quicker.

I've used my van in temps as low as -9 and Alde comfortably sat at 22 deg. Any warmer and its unbearable.

Brianw

Could I ask did you reach these temps on electric only, or gas and electric together?

harry

Had a look on the jaga site but no mention of the fans. Do you have a link or brochure?

Kenny, here's the link to the Jaga Dynamic Boost Effect fans DBE. (It's hidden under the 'Technology section')

http://www. jaga. co. uk/technology/dbe

Not too cheap to buy from them as they have an integral controller attached - but I'm sure you could knock something up.

Let us know how you get on.

We too are just learning the Alde. We have just been away for the weekend as a first trip.

I put the heating on at home on Friday (2Kw) to warm the van through. Saturday morning, everything is aired through, hitch up and tow, a couple of hours 'offline'. Then reconnect and bring back to temperature (1Kw & gas) within about half an hour.

The van hadn't really got cold, just needed perking back up. Starting from stone cold would take a while given you are heating up all the van and contents.

On a slightly different topic, how do others cope with kettle boiling? Do you turn off the Alde via the control panel or just flick off the 240 switch on the Sargent panel?

Previously with the blown air system I switched off at the mains panel and left the rest running.

We only have a 900 watt kettle so even with the Alde heating on 2Kw electric we don't switch off anything else. If SWMBO is using the hair dryer then we switch off at the main isolating switch - if we remember :blink:

Edit: There is a feature mentioned in the Alde manual related to monitoring the power usage and knocking back the boiler automatically, but I haven't studied it well enough to understand its capabilities.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

I've just talked to Mr Google and for monitoring the power usage in the van you need to fit an Alde Load Monitor, part no. 3010-246 @ £37. 20 ( see http://www. alde. co. u. ..e_prices_21. pdf).

One end of the load monitor clamps round the positive 240v feed to the consumer unit and the other end plugs into the Alde control panel. There was some discussion of this on CT last year - see post #22 onward http://www. caravanta. ..de/page__st__20

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Guest Inner State

That will depend on the caravan it's installed in and the insulation of that caravan.

J

Brianw

Could I ask did you reach these temps on electric only, or gas and electric together?

harry

I was away in the lakes for 2010 new year. Initial warm up was leccy and gas to bring van to temp. Took a couple of hours I had 5 nights away temps rarely got above freezing outside. Van comfortably sat at 22 degrees during the day,I turn it down to 15 degrees overnight. Vans a swift conqueror 645 with grade 3 insulation.

We tour from April to Oct and have never had a problem with the Alde on 2kw (we have 3kw if required),often its only on 1kw, and if we shower i booste the shower room with a 1kw fan heater.

Now on our 2nd year with the Alde.

Initial heating time can be a bit prolonged though once there, there is no problem, though we have not tried it below just above freezing. I can see the logic in the fans, they would be unobstructive and quiet. As they would draw the heat from the rads the thermostat would not cut out so often therefore giving a faster initial heat up. I don't think they would be needed once up to temperature. There may be a problem with the fans standing the heat, might be best to mount them underneath the fins of the rads to push the air through. You would be just giving convection a helping hand.

Re initial gas heating, I have 3kw electric plus gas, I find the gas cuts out prematurely, the fans may prevent the boiler reaching its cut out temp and allow the gas to stay with it for longer.

If you do this keep us posted as to the result.

Alde sell fan assisted heat exchangers, usually fitted in upmarket caravans i believe.

Initial heating time can be a bit prolonged though once there, there is no problem, though we have not tried it below just above freezing. I can see the logic in the fans, they would be unobstructive and quiet. As they would draw the heat from the rads the thermostat would not cut out so often therefore giving a faster initial heat up. I don't think they would be needed once up to temperature. There may be a problem with the fans standing the heat, might be best to mount them underneath the fins of the rads to push the air through. You would be just giving convection a helping hand.

Re initial gas heating, I have 3kw electric plus gas, I find the gas cuts out prematurely, the fans may prevent the boiler reaching its cut out temp and allow the gas to stay with it for longer.

If you do this keep us posted as to the result.

It will be another month be fore i get the chance to impliment this. The fans will be fitted under the rads to keep cooler and blow the heat up.