Freelander Td4 Auto

Gazhyde

About to shake hands on a fantastic looking Freelander TD4 ES. Its fully loaded with some high end extras - and thats on top of the already high spec. I dont particularly like Freelanders, but this one looks superb. Metallic black, blacked out windows, full leather interior, steptronic auto box, 17inch alloys, Harmon Kardon sound system. ..

What I am interested in is what people reckon the beasty is likely to do MPG wise?

I reckons about 25mpg, but as usual the dealer reckons about 30mpg. Is he being over optimistic? Did all the usual tyre kicking antics, and it looks well bolted together - although it needs a new turbo hose which he is getting fitted on Monday.

Its already got a fixed towbar (single electrics) which looks like it was fitted for a cycle carrier. So unless its been towing a 'nag crate' around I think it should be OK.

I would have liked something a bit heavier really, but we both really liked the Free Lander. I was determined not to buy one before seeing this one on the forecourt.

Thanks in advance - Gaz

PS I only wanted a £4k tow car, and I end up with a £10k one instead. I hate my inability to work within fixed boundaries ;)

I reckons about 25mpg, but as usual the dealer reckons about 30mpg.   Is he being over optimistic? 

51146[/snapback]

Can't comment on the Auto figures but the MPG figures on our manual TD4 (2004) with Adria in tow (1350kg) + 2 adults and 3 kids from Holyhead to Boston worked out 26 mpg for us, and thats a fair assessment with a good mixture of terrain on route.

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Had one from new. Let me down twice when towing,Turbo problems. Pity because it was a nice car. Also first set of brake pad did 2500 miles, replacement landrover pads did 6000mls. did about 30 solo 26 towing.

51165[/snapback]

Strange, I'm still on the original pads from new after 26 K - I suppose driving in rural Lincolnshire with congestion free roads might have helped though ;)

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Hi Gaz,

Sounds about right mpg wise my daughter has a 1998 2. 0 derv Freelander manual she drives like a nutter most the time and averages 34mpg around town she did a run from Brum to Devon and got 40+. Which suprises me i agree they are nice cars but i can't say i have enjoyed being a passenger in one yet bloody kids eh :rolleyes: I don't know where she gets her driving manner from but i am glad to get back in my Rangie 3. 9 and throw it around abit to relieve the tension well some things have to be done don't they :D I hope you will be as happy as my daughter is with her baby as she calls it if it was a baby she would have done for abuse i reckon but it has not let her down in 12 months it's probably more like 3 years in normal drivers terms :wacko: Put it this way i think they must be pretty tough motors if you get the picture :rolleyes: the only probs so far are rear ex box blowing-replaced £60 and the a/c needs regas so all in all happy :D

Strange, I'm still on the original pads from new  after 26 K - I suppose driving in rural Lincolnshire with congestion free roads might have helped though ;)

51168[/snapback]

Still on original pads on my Volvo after 56,000 miles. .......

(no comments about Volvo drivers please)

Gazhyde, what's the towing limit on the Td4 with auto? I've looked all over the LandRover website and can't find it any where. Be interested to hear what your mpg experience is as this motor is on my short list for later this year.

Also if Argete_owner is looking in, what is tow limit on V70 D5, that it also on my short list? Again I've trawled the Volvo web site and can't find anything about weights.

td4 max tow weight on log book 2000kg but kerb weight around 1650kgs. I get aroung 32 mpg town 43 mpg motorway 27 mpg towing 1100kg caravan. had mine from new now done 26,000miles only been in for sevice and front pads at 23,000 miles

51288[/snapback]

As an aside what's the max gross vehicle weight for the Td4?

Thanks

td4 max tow weight on log book 2000kg but kerb weight around 1650kgs. I get aroung 32 mpg town 43 mpg motorway 27 mpg towing 1100kg caravan. had mine from new now done 26,000miles only been in for sevice and front pads at 23,000 miles

51288[/snapback]

Sounds promising - is that a manual or an auto? Thanks.

Sounds like a 'boy racer' car. I hope you are young  enough to drive it!!! :D

51289[/snapback]

It will mainly be my wifes car in the short term. .. I need to go to argos though, and by some bling (apparently?).

As an aside what's the max gross vehicle weight for the Td4?

51343[/snapback]

Errrm. Dont know, but it does have towball noseweight limit of 140KGs. I can see a towbar mounted cycle rack on order soon. ...

It will mainly be my wifes car in the short term. ..  I need to go to argos though, and by some bling (apparently?).

Errrm.   Dont know, but it does have towball noseweight limit of 140KGs. I can see a towbar mounted cycle rack on order soon. ...

51387[/snapback]

Be interested to see how you get on with the cycle carrier. How many bikes? Clearance of caravan body, jockey wheel handle etc?

Turbo

Hi gazhyde,

As with any car, fuel economy on the Freelander is a lot down to how heavy your right foot is!

I do most of my driving on motorways and in this day and age means average speeds of around 55 - 65, and I tend to get around 35-38mpg. I don't do a great deal of town driving but expect this to be around the 30mpg mark.

With how I drive I must admit I expected to get a few mpg more out of it as I am no boy racer, but what I get is more or less in line with what LR say you should get. I think photowhizz does brilliant in getting 43mpg out of his.

I think I felt the same way as you did about the Freelander, wasn't too struck on them at first but came across a HSE in a great colour with all the bells and whistles plus a few extra accessories and it looks really smart.

I am however in the process of swapping it for a Disco any day now.

It will mainly be my wifes car in the short term. ..  I need to go to argos though, and by some bling (apparently?).

Errrm.   Dont know, but it does have towball noseweight limit of 140KGs. I can see a towbar mounted cycle rack on order soon. ...

51387[/snapback]

max gross weight on my chassis plate is 4080 kg max vehicle weight 2080kg

max to weight 2000kg

mas in running order 1693kg

Well, thats that then!

Just got back from shaking the car dealers hand. We have just got to sort out the money, and its all ours. The dealer is on his 5th Freelander as a personal car for slobbing around his farm, and also when he gets bored driving his Aston Martin - and he swears by them.

I even found some more extras on it, I hadnt noticed the first time round. Heated front seats, so no cold bum on a frosty morning. .. I also checked the log book, and its got a full main dealer service history and 1 owner from new.

It drives really nice, but is way underpowered compared to the little beemer I am driving at the moment. I dont boot it around these days, so that will be fine.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice. In the main, I found the comments really helpful.

(a happy) Gaz ! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Gaz, ;)

How you getting on with your Freelander :unsure: i too like you had no intentions of buying one as i didn't really like them that is until i went and looked at a few. I thought they not that bad looking really and that's when i spotted a 52plate Forest green ES td4 auto tinted windows grey two tone leather a/c cruise s/roof etc etc mint condition with only 25k on clock. And well under £10k with a p/x with my old 91 Rangie the car just looked and felt right and more sensible what with fuel prices etc etc. I have bought the Freelander to tow my 05 Elddis Avant'e 524 it's just under 1600kg so should be ok and i only tow about 15miles from where my van is stored. If you have any problems or things your not happy about your freelander let us know i would be intrigued to see how many bad reports are really true on this particular BMW m47 engined Jatco boxed motor. Incidently i have just sold my 52 Rover 75 cdt tourer which had the same engine and box as our Freelanders i only had the car just over two months and i reckon the m47 engine is spot on. I went to Devon the other week over 400 miles in just over 2hr there and back at some very HIGH speeds the engine never missed a beat and g. box as smooth as silk and it felt like a petrol engine without the guzzling. I am just hoping i am as satisfied with the same power plants after they are plumbed into the Freelander body :rolleyes: The only reasons i sold the R75 for a 4x4 was to tow and to take missus to boot sales and well i also miss me 4x4s but not the fuel consumption of the V8&300tdi at speed :blink:

Chaz,

Not doing too bad. Not towed with it yet, but it seems pretty sturdy.

Wife doesnt like it, but thats no reason to get rid of it!!! ;)

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

I plumped for another Freelander Td4 ES auto in the end a 51 plate in Alveston red/black leather tints 95k high i know but it was half the price of the other one and i have managed to get 3years p&l warranty. I am liking mine very much but like you i have yet to tow with it all the reviews off owners that is is good for towing not a moan amongst them well not many. What mpg do you reckon you are getting i think mine may be better than my R75cdt i have just sold which as you know has the same engine&box as the Freelander td4 . My missus loves our new motor i think it's the black leather and heated seats a bit kinky i reckon :huh: Anyway less of that i am going down to Devon mid March and can't wait to see how it performs will let you know :unsure: