Sign in to follow this  
rickstevens

I Can't Believe How Much Heat You Lose Through Your Windows!

We've been away all week in some freezing temperatures, and during the day, with the heating up full on 2kW, the van has been sitting at a comfortable 22 degrees (we were quite happy with that considering its been between 0 and - 6 outside all week)

It was only at night that we realised how much heat was actually going out through the windows.

As it started to get dark, I always closed the roof blinds, and the inside temperature stayed more or less the same, however when we actually closed all of the window blinds, the temperature just kept going up until we actually had to turn it down due to being uncomfortably warm.

I just thought it particularly strange that Bailey would spend so much time and effort developing a van with grade 3 insulation, and then let it go to waste by fitting what would appear to be poorly insulated windows.

Rick

The windows aren't up to the standard of home double glazing. They dont have inert air or argon in them and neither do they have E-glass. They are what can be provided by a caravan window company. I'm sure the van manufacturers get windows specially constructed for them (as evidenced by the multitude of shapes & sizes) but in the end they are acrylic which is air permeable so can't be sealed like glass units.

Glass would be prohibitively expensive and far too heavy. I dont know how much extra weight it would introduce but a small double glazed unit is everso heavy if you've ever tried to carry one up a ladder and try to install it. On top of that the flexing in a caravan body would split the seals on a glass unit and then you'd have fogging between the panes - at least with the acrylic ones you can take the bungs out and dry them out.

Edited by matelodave

Guest Inner State

As it started to get dark, I always closed the roof blinds, and the inside temperature stayed more or less the same, however when we actually closed all of the window blinds, the temperature just kept going up until we actually had to turn it down due to being uncomfortably warm.

Rick

Why didn't the thermostat stop the temperature going up?

J

Why didn't the thermostat stop the temperature going up?

J

It did when we turned it down, Im not sure how the numbers on the thermostat relate to temperature to be honest, but it got to around 27 degrees before we had to turn it down. I've heard 32 degrees mentioned as the max temperature, but I dont know how true that is

Guest Rita

It did when we turned it down, Im not sure how the numbers on the thermostat relate to temperature to be honest, but it got to around 27 degrees before we had to turn it down. I've heard 32 degrees mentioned as the max temperature, but I dont know how true that is

Does this help

http://www. myidealcaravan. co. uk/truma%20ultraheat. html

I assumed everybody pulled the blinds, it is so obvious!

I do the same at home, it saves me a fortune!!

I've used thermal imagine cameras at work, and seen how even modern double glazed houses loose most of their heat through the windows. I'm in the process of replacing all my current double glazing with units that are gas filled and also have a film on them that helps keep the heat in.

Don