Cadiz 2 Damp Mattress's

It's been 6 weeks since I last used the van, which has twin single beds and, as I've always done with the bench seat/mattress's, I stood them on end in the van as I will be off again for new year. However, when I went in van today I found that both mattress's are soaked while the bench seats are fine. Luckily I have time to dry them indoors but was really shocked at how wet they are after such a relatively short time. After new year they are back in the house that's for sure.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted on this subject earlier on in the year as our Rimini has the same problem. Every time we use the van we have to bring the mattresses in to the house to air them. They regularly show 35-40% damp on the meter. Been in our van today and they feel soaking wet.

Not sure what material is used but we have never had this problem with any other van we have had even when it was in storage.

It would be very difficult if our van was in storage with these mattresses as they do take about a week to dry out.

Par for the course with an Alu-leak van I am afraid.

It must be something to do with the material I guess! Yet that seems strange as I'd expect a sprung mattress to be pretty much the same throughout all caravans!

Ours is cold to the touch (well, after the last few days no surprise) but certainly not damp to the touch and definately not "soaking"

I wonder what is causing the dampness? :(

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Given that I am not the only one with this problem and I've never read about in any other topics I must presume it is confined to Bailey products and the solution must lie with them. Definitely not fir for purpose in my opinion.

So, although a question for Bailey, I will not holding my breath while waiting for reply but I'll leave a message on their web site. thanks guys.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

I was at the local Bailey dealer recently having a look at the 2013 offerings (just nosing), I sat on the bed of one van and I immediately noticed how damp the mattress was. The dealers usual answer was that it was down to the time of year and that they had just recently been taken out of the packaging so may have condensed?!!!

Some of the vans were indoors in a heated showroom and still I felt the mattress was damp. All I can think is that it must be down to the material used. I couldn't imagine sleeping on it!

Ian

Not been out in the van since October. Put in damp catchers and placed seat pads etc on their sides. Went in today to change the damp catchers. Seat pads dry as a bone, with the caravan feeling nice and dry. The damp catchers were fine and could have been left longer so very happy until I touched the mattress. You know what's coming next. ......really damp mattress. Will speak to dealer tomorrow.

Don

The Tug: 2011 BMW X6 40d

The Van: 2012 Bailey Olympus II 620-6 with Powrtouch Evolution Mover.

Hi, it turns out this issue has arisen else where. Use this link

I posted this on that thread but have copied here to pass on the good news.

"Spoke to Ian the owner of Sunnyhaven Caravans Swansea. He in turn spoke to someone at Bailey and who are aware of the issue and believe the problem lies with the foam of the mattresses. They are talking to their supplier. Bailey have asked that unless intending to use the caravan over the next few weeks, can I wait until mid January by which time a solution should have been found and replacements available. In the meantime Bailey have asked that the mattress be placed on its side on the bed.

More than happy to wait as I'm pleased to see that Bailey aren't buiring the heads in the sand. First class customer service from both Ian at Sunnyhaven and Bailey."

Don

"Spoke to Ian the owner of Sunnyhaven Caravans Swansea. He in turn spoke to someone at Bailey and who are aware of the issue and believe the problem lies with the foam of the mattresses. They are talking to their supplier. Bailey have asked that unless intending to use the caravan over the next few weeks, can I wait until mid January by which time a solution should have been found and replacements available. In the meantime Bailey have asked that the mattress be placed on its side on the bed.

More than happy to wait as I'm pleased to see that Bailey aren't buiring the heads in the sand. First class customer service from both Ian at Sunnyhaven and Bailey."

Don

That's good news but how in all honesty can Bailey send out caravans with faulty mattresses when they have been making vans for years?

So are they going to inform my dealer that there is a recall? I very much doubt it unless I complain. As the van is going in March I doubt I will bother. I posted this problem months ago and if Bailey had anything about them they would have followed it through on this forum.

Let us have an update Don. Well done. You obviously have a decent dealer that is prepared to follow through.

Edited by jks

Let us have an update Don. Well done. You obviously have a decent dealer that is prepared to follow through.

You've hit the nail on the head jks, the dealer is fist class, always very helpful, informative and honest. Rear traits of salesmen these days but I feel he deserves to do well because of his old fashioned approach.

Don

Don

That`s very good news, Don . I hope the problem is resolved for you. I too have had nothing but excellent service from the supplying Dealer and from Bailey.

I have an early Valencia and keep it in storage with no heat, cushions and mattress left in position for use.

I checked it today and although the seats and mattress are very cold to the touch they are definitely not damp.

I wonder whether Bailey changed the Supplier for their mattress`s after mine was built (Aug 2010) or if the rechargeable dehumidifiers that I use are doing a good job ?

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

That`s very good news, Don . I hope the problem is resolved for you. I too have had nothing but excellent service from the supplying Dealer and from Bailey.

I have an early Valencia and keep it in storage with no heat, cushions and mattress left in position for use.

I checked it today and although the seats and mattress are very cold to the touch they are definitely not damp.

I wonder whether Bailey changed the Supplier for their mattress`s after mine was built (Aug 2010) or if the rechargeable dehumidifiers that I use are doing a good job ?

Bob

It does look to be a fairly new issue. So with Bailey and their mattress supplier sorting it sooner rather than later, they should put the issue to bed sharpish. (Forgive the pun)

Don

Thanks for this Don. I have just been away in my Olympus and had to dry the mattress out again before setting off, so we bought 2 waterproof covers . One for the top and one for the bottom of the mattress, and then saw your post. :blink: Anyway we hope this gives a temporary fix until Bailey sort out the mattress problems.

Bailey Olympus s11.

Towed by a Man City fanatic and his long suffering wife.

Thanks for this Don. I have just been away in my Olympus and had to dry the mattress out again before setting off, so we bought 2 waterproof covers . One for the top and one for the bottom of the mattress, and then saw your post. :blink: Anyway we hope this gives a temporary fix until Bailey sort out the mattress problems.

When we had our van the mattresses were still in their polythene bags but they were really damp. I think putting them in covers will make them worse as they will sweat. The only way we can use ours is to bring them into the house for a few days.

Edited by jks

I have just sent Bailey an email regarding this issue and received this response within 20 mins.

To Mr xxxxxx

Thank you for your email.

The manufacture of the mattress are aware of the issue with the ticking material used on the mattress and this has now been rectified. Please contact your Bailey agent and they will arrange an upholstery return for you with Belfield the mattress manufacture.

Regards

Jo Barrington (Mrs)

Bailey Caravans

So problem solved.

Well done Bailey.

Bailey Olympus s11.

Thanks Grumpano, as soon as I saw saw your post I phoned my dealer at Flintshire Caravans, who have been excellent to deal with, and, although they had heard rumours of mattress problems, had not been told anything by Bailey themselves. As I spoke to Mike he brought up your post on his PC and was not pleased that he had not received the information from Bailey. Needless to say he is getting on to them as it needs sorting sooner rather than later especially for those of us who winter caravan and for those who's vans are in storage and are not aware of the problem yet. Keep up the pressure and maybe, just maybe, Bailey will acknowledge the issue and contact owners and dealers and even post here on CT, who knows?

CARPE DIEM

Out of interest, does the mattress go back to Belfield to be re upholstered ?

Seems there would be quite a few caravans affected, so to cut it to the quick, is there a wait ?

Anyone know the length of guarantee on a Bailey mattress ?

Out of interest, does the mattress go back to Belfield to be re upholstered ?

Seems there would be quite a few caravans affected, so to cut it to the quick, is there a wait ?

Anyone know the length of guarantee on a Bailey mattress ?

I have been told by dealer that it will be a straight swap with a new one. I wouldn't be happy to accept a reupholstered one as you have no idea how other parts of the mattress have been effected by the damp, ie springs.

I believe the warranty is one year, but if you are outside this time scale you would have a strong argument as the mattress is proved not fit for purpose.

Don

Edited by Don Coffey

I have been told by dealer that it will be a straight swap with a new one. I wouldn't be happy to accept a reupholstered one as you have no idea how other parts of the mattress have been effected by the damp, ie springs.

I believe the warranty is one year, but if you are outside this time scale you would have a strong argument as the mattress is proved not fit for purpose.

Don

Thanks for the info

G40

Thanks Grumpano, as soon as I saw saw your post I phoned my dealer at Flintshire Caravans, who have been excellent to deal with, and, although they had heard rumours of mattress problems, had not been told anything by Bailey themselves. As I spoke to Mike he brought up your post on his PC and was not pleased that he had not received the information from Bailey. Needless to say he is getting on to them as it needs sorting sooner rather than later especially for those of us who winter caravan and for those who's vans are in storage and are not aware of the problem yet. Keep up the pressure and maybe, just maybe, Bailey will acknowledge the issue and contact owners and dealers and even post here on CT, who knows?

I'm glad I've managed to help you . And also glad it's not a fault with my van . But with my mattress .

Bailey Olympus s11.

I bought my Bailey Orion this October though the van is second hand and made in Sept 2011 and is a fixed bed model. The mattress has never felt damp even when the van had been obviously left out for at least several months. What worries me is that the mattress was a bit lumpy and has gone back the the makers of the mattress to be assessed/repaired/replaced. Just hope I dont get a damp one back that has to be taken into the house at regular intervals to dry out.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

I bought my Bailey Orion this October though the van is second hand and made in Sept 2011 and is a fixed bed model. The mattress has never felt damp even when the van had been obviously left out for at least several months. What worries me is that the mattress was a bit lumpy and has gone back the the makers of the mattress to be assessed/repaired/replaced. Just hope I dont get a damp one back that has to be taken into the house at regular intervals to dry out.

As Belfield are aware of the problem with the newer mattress/ticking material, I doubt they would compound their problem by sending you a dodgy one as a replacement/repair. A phone call to tell them you are aware of problems with later materials and you don't want a faulty item should ensure you are not "stitched up" ;)

2. 0Lt Ford Mondeo Titanium X 130PS (metric hp) TDCI Auto Estate. .... Freeman 23 Broads Cruiser !

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been in my Bailey Barcelona (new June 2012) to find the mattress very wet, but no obvious sign of a leak. Thanks to this forum I now know the issue and will be contacting the dealer tomorrow, so thanks to everyone who's posted on this topic. As a newcomer to the caravan world, this site has been brilliant for advice and solving issues.

This particular issue aside, is it best for mattresses/seating to be brought indoors over winter, or is this problem specific to the mattress Bailey were using?

2012 Bailey Unicorn Barcelona and 2011 Range Rover 4. 4TDV8

Newbie to caravanning and still learning

My 2011 Valencia mattress isn't damp.

So i would have to guess that its only a certain batch of mattress that has been used.

And i haven't used the heating now since October.

It just wouldn't be in the companies interest to give you a new/repaired mattress that has a know fault. At this time it's all about damage limitation. Identify and replace all faulty mattresses and move on.

Don

I was in the van three days ago and the mattress don't just feel damp, but positively wet. I've now taken the mattress inside the house and felt all dried out after just 24 hours. Still no update from dealer reference when to expect replacement.

Have a Happy New Year all.

Don