Sign in to follow this  
David in Cheshire

Manhandling Caravans

Maybe some people are trying to lighten up a thread that was possibly not worded for the best in the first place. Some of the replys have been stereo typing to the point that some people may feel if they don't have a mover maybe they shouldn't be caravanning. Its a personal choice to own a mover or not. Not everyone has the need for one. My grandparents never had one and were vanning well into there late years. My parents do have one as they have found the need for one to help get the caravan between the house and garage where they cannot easily get the car in as well, and they have a sloping drive. I don't have one as we do not tour enough to warrant one, if circumstances change then yes i would consider one.

I have yet to see anyone turn up to a site and ask let alone expect help because they cannot manage.

Some of the replys have been darn right rude and to some point degrading, i am even suprised admin didn't get involved as they have seemed a bit touchy on some subjects recently.

This hobby seems to have so many people that have to have one better than the outfit on the next pitch.

So many things get said on here about what you should or shouldn't have (4wd for example) that sites would be such a boring place to go if no one had the 'small talk' topics to get conversation going.

Adult only sites. ... Dog free sites. ..... Whats next?? Not allowed to talk to your neighbours sites !!

This is an internet forum that many seem to take far to seriously on every topic. For the last 40 odd years of caravanning i have always found most people friendly, Even back when i was just a young un.

Dave

Well said Dave - several good points there!

Al.

This is an internet forum that many seem to take far to seriously on every topic. For the last 40 odd years of caravanning i have always found most people friendly, Even back when i was just a young un.

Dave

Dave, you support the point I have been making. In many threads in this forum there are complaints of many types about other site users. Clearly problems and issues do happen, but a false and unbalanced picture is painted. To a newbie or a non camper reading this they would be put off, caravaning is made to sound like a poor way to holiday or to have a short break. As usual it is the problems that get talked about.

To redress the balance just a little. In 30 years of touring 99% plus of the time I have found fellow caravaners to be friendly, helpful, and considerate people. Long may it continue.

Dave, you support the point I have been making. In many threads in this forum there are complaints of many types about other site users. Clearly problems and issues do happen, but a false and unbalanced picture is painted. To a newbie or a non camper reading this they would be put off, caravaning is made to sound like a poor way to holiday or to have a short break. As usual it is the problems that get talked about.

To redress the balance just a little. In 30 years of touring 99% plus of the time I have found fellow caravaners to be friendly, helpful, and considerate people. Long may it continue.

Hear hear!

Al.

Me too!

Mover or no mover, new caravan or old caravan, white, black, yellow or green with pink spots.

Who cares, it's the person that counts, if someone needs a hand help them out, if their are arrogant/rude/ etc then sod em .

Anyone who says "I need help from no one" is a liar. I don't rely on anyone to help me, but when my awning blew over the caravan roof I was grateful of assistance from a stranger.

And yes I would return assistance even to the rude if they were in a dire situation

That's in real life, of course, as opposed to forum users.

Edited by bartow

I am glad this thread never got pulled. True it has dragged on a bit, but just when you thought it was dead, it has always been like a Phoenix arising from the ashes again. :)

Caravans to me have always been about cheap(er) holidays, where you can take your dogs, kids and just be in a friendlier environment.

A caravan to me is always going to be a white shed on wheels. True a very comfy shed with all the creature comforts on board, but still essentially a shed. ;)

I agree its a white box on wheels, where we can rough it for a couple of weeks.

After a couple of week i always look forward to the spaciousness of home, home sweet home.

Then after about a month we are ready to rough it again.

Get a mover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

I agree its a white box on wheels, where we can rough it for a couple of weeks.

After a couple of week i always look forward to the spaciousness of home, home sweet home.

Then after about a month we are ready to rough it again.

Hmmmm . ..... we never want to go home!

Hmmmm . ..... we never want to go home!

me neither ! my record to date is 8 consecutive months in my trusty caravan, its easier to clean than the house and cheaper to heat !and is FREEEEEEEDOMMMMMMM

Whoops forgot about the thread, had assistance once by a kind German in Frankfurt who gave me a push and in Italy by a group of young men who took it upon themselves to erect my awning without much assistance from me and uninvited, then we all sat around and drank most of my Beer and Wine, seemed fair to me.

I object to my pride and joy being called "A WHITE SHED"!!!

It's "A TIN TENT"

And can we get back to the mover bit please, it's much more fun

That's in real life, of course, as opposed to forum users.

How very true. There are some miserable persons on here (or that is the impression they give!) :blink:

I did look at some alternative movers on offer. There was a powered jockey wheel, a wheeled shifta device with its own traction battery that goes under the towhitch, but my favourite of all was the little radio controlled tracked device that attached to the front A frame. I could have happily bought one of those till i saw the £800 plus price tag (how much)!!!!

I don't know if the regular wheel movers ever get 'clonked' on speed humps, or on adverse ramps into driveways etc, but some of them seem to hang real low down on some 'vans. :blink:

When I saw the Mayan prediction on the news I thought it would sort out this thread,

but it looks as though its this thread that's saved the world :P

When I saw the Mayan prediction on the news I thought it would sort out this thread,

but it looks as though its this thread that's saved the world :P

Brilliant Paul :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that the world is safe again, maybe over Christmas those who have had offers of help rejected in a rude way can take time to reflect on how they offer help. Is it a "If you need a hand just give me a shout", or is it coming across as "You shouldn't do it like that" or "I'm an expert and I know best" or worse "I'm going to help you just because I think you have less money than me!"

Happy Christmas :-)

To keep in with the "In crowd", the latter saying is probably preferable. :D

Now that the world is safe again, maybe over Christmas those who have had offers of help rejected in a rude way can take time to reflect on how they offer help. Is it a "If you need a hand just give me a shout", or is it coming across as "You shouldn't do it like that" or "I'm an expert and I know best" or worse "I'm going to help you just because I think you have less money than me!"

Happy Christmas :-)

Well said.

And a happy Christmas from me to ALL on this thread, even the grumpy ones.

So have any of us asked Santa for a mover this year? Need to add it to my list :ph34r:

Festive greetings to everyone that has posted on this thread and to everyone that has derived joy from deciding whether they are a 'mover' or a 'shaker'.. :)

Irrespective of religion or beliefs, I wish a Merry Christmas to everyone. :D

On the subject of movers. ... Mine tends to make whiney noises whilst I drive along usually sounds like " slow down" or " you should have taken that turn there"..... And the cost of running it copious lubrication with either red wine or WKD blue not to mention maintenance costs constant redecoration etc. ....... I may trade her in for an electrical one!

Merry Christmas everyone, may the new year be a smiley one with perfect weather for outings in our favourite hotel room and BBQ's

I'd love a mover fitted to my van, but cannot afford it at the minute. If I see someone struggling I always offer help isnt it what we are about?

If I see someone struggling I always offer help isnt it what we are about?

Hi Martin,

I would like to think so and not only in caravanning life, I believe the same in all walks of life,

Regards,

Ian.

have been enjoying this thread and the various comments

when we brought our caravan we liked the caravan so it wasnt until we went to collect it that we noticed it had a mover already fitted as we were being shown all the bits and bobs a chap approached us to take the mover off as it wasnt supposed to be included in the sale we asked how much they would give for it as we had already paid he said fifty pounds after laughing at him told him what he could do and he didnt like it so what i suppose what i am saying is that if it hadnt got a mover already fitted we would not have bothered

most of this post is maybe not relevant but may make intresting reading

Sign in to follow this