Sign in to follow this  
David in Cheshire

Manhandling Caravans

I cant believe this is still ongoing. Surely its time to forgive and forget :ph34r:

You know what - Karma is a bit of a mare - what goes around comes around. In this world, where there is so much rubbish going on, helping where you can is a good thing. We don't have a mover (don't need one), never ask for help, but have been on sites where a friendly caravanner has run over & helped with the final positioning after we've pretty much got it sorted with the car. We can do it on our own, but help is welcome - many hands make light work.

We've helped people with seasonally pitched caravans when their awning has been damaged by either taking it down for them to prevent more damage if they weren't around (even storing stuff in our own awning until they returned if we know them), or helping with temporary repairs (duct tape is a wonderous thing!!).

Back to the OP - not everyone can afford a mover, some may have a caravan as their only means of holidaying due to health problems which may not affect their mobility, but they may be on medication which is a problem if travelling because it has to be kept at a certain temperature, & the cost of a mover is a little beyond them. Who knows why people don't have them, BUT those of us who don't have movers do not automatically expect help from other people. I'm sure you are a nice enough person, but until you've walked a mile in my shoes, you have no cause or experience of me & my life to judge me because I do not have this bit of kit you feel is essential.

Being courteous, helpful & friendly costs nothing.

Edited by abigailsmum

You know what - Karma is a bit of a mare - what goes around comes around. In this world, where there is so much rubbish going on, helping where you can is a good thing. We don't have a mover (don't need one), never ask for help, but have been on sites where a friendly caravanner has run over & helped with the final positioning after we've pretty much got it sorted with the car. We can do it on our own, but help is welcome - many hands make light work.

We've helped people with seasonally pitched caravans when their awning has been damaged by either taking it down for them to prevent more damage if they weren't around (even storing stuff in our own awning until they returned if we know them), or helping with temporary repairs (duct tape is a wonderous thing!!).

Back to the OP - not everyone can afford a mover, some may have a caravan as their only means of holidaying due to health problems which may not affect their mobility, but they may be on medication which is a problem if travelling because it has to be kept at a certain temperature, & the cost of a mover is a little beyond them. Who knows why people don't have them, BUT those of us who don't have movers do not automatically expect help from other people. I'm sure you are a nice enough person, but until you've walked a mile in my shoes, you have no cause or experience of me & my life to judge me because I do not have this bit of kit you feel is essential.

:goodpost:

On more than one occasion I have suffered abuse when offering to help, so don't bother now so go along with the OP and responsibility. We never had a motor mover or a 4 x 4 until recently, so we always made sure we found a suitable spot and reversed on using the vehicle and my driving skills. We did not have to rely on any one else helping us.

If you are bogged down that is an entirely different story as not even a motor mover will get you out of that one and I will offer to help again. I am not sure what a aquaroll and a motor mover have in common as per another post? :D

Hi All,

Why not just help where you can without questioning why you are doing it, what the other person's circumstances are or taking any other relatively unimportant factors into account? The fact is if a person needs help they need help at that time. If I am able I will do so and then go back to my van feeling satisfied that a good job has been done :) .

We all have differing views and ideas but when we need help we are all in the same boat and I would hope that assistance would be forthcoming, though if not I will just get on with it and solve said problem without predjudice to those who are watching me struggle, after all they may be unable to help due to disability or other factors. If you want to help then do so if not then no problem just enjoy your holiday,

Regards,

Ian.

On more than one occasion I have suffered abuse when offering to help, so don't bother now so go along with the OP and responsibility. We never had a motor mover or a 4 x 4 until recently, so we always made sure we found a suitable spot and reversed on using the vehicle and my driving skills. We did not have to rely on any one else helping us.

If you are bogged down that is an entirely different story as not even a motor mover will get you out of that one and I will offer to help again. I am not sure what a aquaroll and a motor mover have in common as per another post? :D

Here it is again, where does all this abuse come from, why does it never happen to me. I must be so very lucky.

Here it is again, where does all this abuse come from, why does it never happen to me. I must be so very lucky.

I don't think there's much abuse about, really.

No doubt there will be an occasional refusal of offered help and it may come across as a bit tetchy if the person doing the declining is in the middle of, say, an awkward bit of awning erection, or having a domestic, when the help is offered. :ph34r:

I've never been the victim of, or seen any evidence of, anyone being abusive when offered genuine, well timed, assistance.

I will only ever offer assistance if I see a real problem situation or potentially dangerous situation arising.

What the aquaroll and motor mover have in common is that they relate to the discussion about caravanners offering or not offering help to others. Unless you just want to be sarky about it! If someone shouldn't be helped because they don't have a mover, then the same would apply to someone who couldn't manage an aquaroll, erect an awning, etc etc.

I have a motor mover. I can tow and reverse very competently, usually without using the mover. I'm fit and strong enough to manage my own rig. But I wouldn't refuse help to others who can't. And in all my years caravanning, I've never had "abuse" for offering help, (quite the opposite) or for any other reason, when it comes to that, on a site. God help us from some of the attitudes displayed here lately!

Al.

Edited by northa2901

God help us from some of the attitudes displayed here lately!

Al.

I should imagine a potential newcomer to caravanning reading some of the childish, petty and arrogant statements made in some of the posts, would sensibly walk away from the idea altogether.

Fortunately as in life outside of caravan sites, there are decent, helpful and friendly folks too.

I hope anyone thinking of buying a caravan will realise that not everyone with a 'white shed', is an ignorant, self centred individual that will just sit there smirking as you struggle. :(

I should imagine a potential newcomer to caravanning reading some of the childish, petty and arrogant statements made in some of the posts, would sensibly walk away from the idea altogether.

Fortunately as in life outside of caravan sites, there are decent, helpful and friendly folks too.

I hope anyone thinking of buying a caravan will realise that not everyone with a 'white shed', is an ignorant, self centred individual that will just sit there smirking as you struggle. :(

They might think that there are some very abusive people though!

They might think that there are some very abusive people though!

I've never met any abusive people. .....totally the opposite really.

As i've said already i've gladly given and received help when caravanning or otherwise, that's just me and my "way" but each to their own.

One occasion i've mentioned before I was able to successfully help was a woman who's also seasonal, nice newish caravan. I'd spoken to her on the passing and maybe i'm wrong but I think she maybe thought I was a bit thuggish (tattoos, kids, older caravan etc, or i'm maybe paranoid!!)

But anyway we got on ok but hadn't really had a conversation then one time we had really bad winds during the summer and during a week when we can't always get up to the site due to work. Anyway another couple who were staying on site phoned us about 11pm to say they'd took our front awning poles down, and secured the awning so it wasnt flapping about in the wind until we could get up and also did the same with another couple.

I managed to get up the next day with my Husband and we sorted the awning, thankfully no damage except a bent pole but had a replacement.

Anyway the others were ok but this woman I mention's awning was down and under the caravan as in put away.

We were up at the weekend and so was she and she said a few of her poles were damaged and she dhowed me and they really were a "S" shape some of them.

So I said to her we were going out for the day but had a bag of spare poles under the caravan if she wanted she could help herself as we were going out for the day. She was going to drive round a few caravan places for poles.

Anyway we got back not long after her and she's had no luck getting the right pole.

I took the bag of poles over and told her to please look and if there were any useful ones help herself (we were getting a lightweight awning anyway) and it just so happened I had one of the roof ones with the / I \ poles to join the one coming up the middle from the ground that she needed.

She was so greatful after that and even bought me a packet of biccies!! :)

Point is, I just don't like to see folk struggling and personally i'll help if I can but if folk want me to back off I will, I just wished she'd saved herself the drive round places and looked first unless that was part of her day out.

Another time we helped with an wning we got a bottle of wine, not that I was looking, they were an older couple but had never used an awning.

One time though, we were helpless in Aberfoyle this german lot in a nice motorhome had pulled up near our caravan. We were the only folk up at the seasonal / hardstandings that weekend and one of them asked if I could help assuming I could drive.

I walked round with him but they'd tried to take a sort cut out the site and they had ended up in a ditch of mud!! I got the warden and he got his big 4x4, straps and got him out!

It's nice to be nice :P

I was referring to some members of this forum. Actually on sites the worst I have come across has been a bit of anti-social noise or the occasional small groups of friends who deliberately cut anyone else. If I thought the majority of people around me on sites were as unpleasant as some of the characters here I would find a new hobby.

I was quoting Surf01, David, not you

I was referring to some members of this forum. Actually on sites the worst I have come across has been a bit of anti-social noise or the occasional small groups of friends who deliberately cut anyone else. If I thought the majority of people around me on sites were as unpleasant as some of the characters here I would find a new hobby.

Understood

is this never going to end?

Every thing has a end .

Hope not, I am enjoying this :)

A referendum should be held, (A) Do we help a caravanner who need a push/pull only if he has inoperative mover? (B) give a push/pull to any caravanner what ever the circumstances, if you are fit and able, and is safe to do so? I will vote B.

In one case, an awning had collapsed as it filled up with rain, and I made it safe as they had stuff in the awning. Instead of a thanks, I was accused of damaging their awning. Strike one!

Another person struggling with their awning which was brand new. Told they don't need help and are managing fine, but not so politely. Strike two.

A few months ago and elderly gentleman struggling with his satellite dish which had a broken LNB. Went to help and first words out of his mouth were "Do I look stupid, I know what I am doing". Strike three!

Admittedly his wife came over later to apologise.

We prefer to keep to ourselves any way and try and avoid being too social as some times people can become pests and engage in long rambling pointless conversations about nothing in particular.

Can this post stop now. Everyone will realise when i am struggling to fill the water i am only hoping they will do it for me. And as for the Thetford. ............

And we wonder how caravanners get a bad press. ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And we wonder how caravanners get a bad press. ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Which reminds me, the next time I go on site, I need help with pressing my trousers! Anyone? :D

A referendum should be held, (A) Do we help a caravanner who need a push/pull only if he has inoperative mover? ( B) give a push/pull to any caravanner what ever the circumstances, if you are fit and able, and is safe to do so? I will vote B.

Isn't that the whole point ? That after giving a willing push or pull to whoever, you might not be fit and able afterwards. ..... ;)

Edited by Shirl250

Isn't that the whole point ? That after giving a willing push or pull to whoever, you might not be fit and able afterwards. ..... ;)

Good point as it will be a bit of a blow having to cancel your holiday because you injured yourself helping someone else! :D

Sign in to follow this