Sign in to follow this  
David in Cheshire

Manhandling Caravans

Arriving at the IoW CC site this summer, we unhitched and started to push our caravan the remaining yard or two rather than get the mover working. Within seconds 3 neighbours-to-be had dashed to lend a shove. What nice people ! Bit embarrasing for us though.

Bry

Everyone has their own opinions but i am happy to help if the situation needs or i am asked, but i won't just jump in as i've been blasted for actually offering. In defence of David i can see what point he is trying to make, if they can afford to buy an outfit in access of £20000 then a motor mover is not braking the bank, also people have worked all their life to afford such things doesn't mean they have a silver spoon in their mouth!

Blimey you have had a good retirement, must have paid an absolute fortune into the pot and well done.

As for not lending a hand, I am a great beleiver in what goes around comes around.

I am not suprised at the response or the exagerated situations quoted where anyone would help out what I am talking about is people with large and expensive outfits who have the means to take them abroad but for whatever reason omit the mover in their budget. I would sugest that with basic movers around £400 if you cant run to that then how is servicing and insurance to be paid. Caravan are much bigger and heavier than in the past and there are more than a few situations where the mover will avoid the need for what are frequently elderly campers mauling.

If you had said this in your original post you may have avoided a little flak, but IMHO it's still a poor attitude.

Edited by bigbawmcgraw

Can't believe all the belligerent rants against a member who posed a serious question. Lot of self righteous humbug going on: must be the bad weather. Manhandling caravans is dangerous: back injuries and heart attacks are not funny. Only do it if there are lots of people to push.

one day you might have a heart attack and hope that someone passing may help if its me unlucky mate

As a ex camper who do tend to help each other I would of course help people if required, when I was a new caravanner and have needed advice I have found fellow caravanners obliging, nice now if any one ask for help a good way to get to know folks. I have a mover and most times I use it to position on site, saves wear on clutch if much jiggling about is required, I would assume that is why we have them on vans, I have heard people say I have one on the van "never use it though " bit of a waste of apx £ 8/900.

Edited by mellyboy

Unfortunately due to health problems I can't manhandle our van so I have a mover fitted so I can't not won't manhandle someone else's van. I will hitch it up to the car or freelander if needed and reverse or pull off their pitch if they are unable. I will lend a hand with any problem jump starting etc if I am able without injury to myself after all we are supposed to be the friendly lot especially if we have a caravan talk sticker in the car or van :lol:

Why risk a bad back, heart attack or anything else for people who are unwilling to pay a few hundred for a mover, if they cant afford then they cant afford to go caravanning.

David

I have to say David, that I have never owned, used, or needed a motor mover since I started caravanning thirty-something years ago. It's not that I couldn't afford one, but I simply do not feel the need to cart around extra weight that will not be beneficial. I store our caravan at home, and find no problem in reversing it from the road into our rear garden. Similarly on site, I cannot recall a single occasion where I have had to move any of our caravans by hand. I have however pushed other people's caravans.

Please do not take this the wrong way as it is nothing personal, but your comment above is inviting a negative response from well-meaning members here. Maybe you should consider rephrasing it before the barrage from the 'anti-David brigade' gets any worse.

Can't believe all the belligerent rants against a member who posed a serious question. Lot of self righteous humbug going on: must be the bad weather. Manhandling caravans is dangerous: back injuries and heart attacks are not funny. Only do it if there are lots of people to push.

That's the second time you've mentioned heart attacks on this thread so just to highlight it even further, how would you feel if you stood idly by watching someone struggle with his 'large and expensive outfit' with no mover and he dropped down dead from a heart attack. Would you stand arms folded with a smug look on your face saying "told ya"?

Personally I'd rather lend a hand before that happened, the size of his bank account wouldn't enter my thoughts.

And if I had a heart attack whilst doing so, at least I was helping someone else out when it happened.

There are 3 reasons why I (and no doubt some other folk) do NOT have a mover fitted:--

(1) The expense for something which is not often used,

(2) The extra weight of a mover, as I'm very near the 85% limit

(3) The extra size of the 110 amp battery needed. My present battery leaves very little space in the compartment

Members have offered their help when I occasionally needed it, and I was grateful. As mentioned above, this is part of the spirit of our club(s)

I was flabbergasted when I read this posting. We only started caravanning this year and our 1st observation was how friendly everyone is. Our 1st trip was to a small farm site in Devon, and without the help of the site managers and people on the site we probably wouldn't have survived. We didn't even know such things as "movers" existed never mind owned one. Thank heavens we weren't next to David. As one couple, who had been caravanning for 30 years, put it -"we all have to learn and everyone should be willing to help". We did learn and have since been able to repay those debts by helping other people. Obviously David doesn't believe in karma.

'Tis the season of goodwill!!!!

Struggling not be offensive to the OP.

I have a 4x4 and a large single axle caravan. It has no motor mover. It has none becuase although I could afford to get one, every penny counts and I can think of better ways to spend close to £1,000 - Like get the ferry to France.

Having said that I would love a mover and think that they are a great product - just cant justify it for the few times a year when they would be necessary rather than a 'nice to have'.

I will be happy to help others and hope that the favour will be returned if required.

what a nice friendly bloke you are David in cheshire ! I'm not helping you cos you dont have a mover. ...

lets hope you are never in need of anything. how would you feel if you were in need of help and people just stood and watched?

macafee2

Yes I do. Only the other day at chatsworth a couple were having trouble un hitching without it rolling into the car so I leant hand. Of course if health reasons prevent it don't do it but personally I treat others how I hope to be treated myself

I have no motor mover fitted.

I can reverse ok, but courtesy of the folks that insist on parking on site roads instead of on their pitches, it is sometimes easier just to unhitch the van and push it onto the pitch (hard standings).

I am fortunate to have a caravan from the period when they were still sensible weights and I don't feel the need to fill it to the brim with items that will never get used. Pushing it is real easy, so no help needed.

If I saw someone struggling on site though, I wouldn't just leave them to it. Whether that be pitching a van, holding onto someone's awning in a breeze, grabbing runaway dogs, or whatever else is causing them problems. It's called 'being a good neighbour'.

David in Cheshire.

Dictionary definition of maul - to beat, to bruise, to handle roughly, to damage.

So by your own words, I wouldn't dream of asking you for any help with my caravan, ie maul it around.

I seem to remember Jack Charlton getting into trouble in his Leeds playing days for having a little black book. I wonder if anyone on here who is offended by your attitude will have a reference in their little black book to your outfit should you need help.

I would like to think you mean well, but I am afraid you may come to be "hoist by your own petard".

John.

Edited by John19

Blimey yet another argument on the forum about trivial matters. Honestly people chill out this is meant to be a relaxing hobby

The year before last we were at a very nice site with neighbours that were fine but not that chatty. One day the wind got up and we noticed that a very odd pyramid shaped trailer tent with rigid sides had a gazebo fasted to it that was in distress. The metal poles were bending and one had broken which ripped the cover slightly and was knocking against the trailer tent. As the people were not in, one man had gone to look at the situation so I too went across. We decided that to save irrepairable damage to take the gazebo down which we did with great care. Just as we had folded all the gazebo up neatly the owners arrived back and seemed annoyed until we pointed out the damaged gazebo at which point they changed to being grateful. Was it the right thing to do? On that ocassion we thought it was. On another occassion it may not be but it is hard to stand by knowing you CAN make a difference.

one day you might have a heart attack and hope that someone passing may help if its me unlucky mate

That's the second time you've mentioned heart attacks on this thread so just to highlight it even further, how would you feel if you stood idly by

As I said I used to sell caravans. A colleague had a heart attack while manhandling a van that was too heavy. I'm always happy to help and will push/pull a van if there are enough people to do it, but not if it's dangerous. That's all I'm saying and that's all David from Cheshire is saying.

And Jase you are not my mate. Your remark is unneccesary and unpleasant.

David in Cheshire.

Dictionary definition of maul - to beat, to bruise, to handle roughly, to damage.

So by your own words, I wouldn't dream of asking you for any help with my caravan, ie maul it around.

I seem to remember Jack Charlton getting into trouble in his Leeds playing days for having a little black book. I wonder if anyone on here who is offended by your attitude will have a reference in their little black book to your outfit should you need help.

I would like to think you mean well, but I am afraid you may come to be "hoist by your own petard".

John.

Actualy on the ocasions in the past when for whatever reasons I have been involved with pushing caravans I have been shocked to see well meaning assistantants putting all thier force on body pannels and you need to be a real grumpy character to tell them to stop.

All this abuse is realy unecessary but maybe should have made clear where I do my caravanning . its almost entirely on the continent and the folks around are usually Brits Dutch or Germans, all folks who have travelled long expensive distances to be where they are. If I was in the UK and saw an obviously less well off family struggling with a modest outfit I might feel different but even then Ebay is full of cheap movers and I think it should be high on the list of priorites for anyone who is not going about expecting others to push.

As I said I used to sell caravans. A colleague had a heart attack while manhandling a van that was too heavy. I'm always happy to help and will push/pull a van if there are enough people to do it, but not if it's dangerous. That's all I'm saying and that's all David from Cheshire is saying.

And Jase you are not my mate. Your remark is unneccesary and unpleasant.

David from Cheshire said he wouldn't help in principal of owners' wealth. He did say he would help if they had a mover but it wasn't working.

Not to make light of cardiac problems, I'd gamble a fair amount that your colleague would have had a heart attack at some point whether they were pushing caravans or not.

Personally I have never had a mover fitted, but I can understand their appeal (indeed necessity in some cases), but thankfully I am still able to manhandle a caravan (even a twin) if needed. Having said that, pushing our caravans has been very rare, and I've probably helped other folks push their 'vans more often.

Gordon

re helping people on site i have many times offered help when folks seem to be struggling only to be rebuked you get to the point of why bother get up out of your chair. you just can not help some people

I would rather have my offer to help declined, than see someone hurt themselves knowing I didn't offer.

Gordon.

Sign in to follow this