Sign in to follow this  
David in Cheshire

Manhandling Caravans

Do you manhandle caravans or help others push theirs?

I read a travel article just now in a caravan magazine that had a couple of references to arriving on sites exhausted and getting help from other campers to manhandle the van into position. My first thought was why don’t they have a mover? No matter how good at reversing unless its just a matter of reversing up to a peg on a CC site, positioning a van sideways in a hedge marked pitch is not going to be achieved without manual assistance.

I have decided, although it goes against the grain to see people struggle, that I am not pushing any more caravans except one with malfunctioning mover. Why risk a bad back, heart attack or anything else for people who are unwilling to pay a few hundred for a mover, if they cant afford then they cant afford to go caravanning.

David

So in one post out of the window goes the concept of carravenners being friendly and helping each other!

it just depends with me, if someone is obviously in genuine need i'll help, but if their just tired,poor things, then i'll happily carry on drinking vino.

pete

Guest jks

I agree with David. I had a mover put on the last 3 of our vans because I decided that heaving and pushing caravans was not what I retired for. Did help someone last year push their van but it was because his mover had failed.

I often don't use our mover if it is safe and convenient to reverse onto a pitch. If you can't reverse a caravan then you should not be towing. :(

Edited by jks

I read a travel article just now in a caravan magazine that had a couple of references to arriving on sites exhausted and getting help from other campers to manhandle the van into position. My first thought was why don’t they have a mover? No matter how good at reversing unless its just a matter of reversing up to a peg on a CC site, positioning a van sideways in a hedge marked pitch is not going to be achieved without manual assistance.

I have decided, although it goes against the grain to see people struggle, that I am not pushing any more caravans except one with malfunctioning mover. Why risk a bad back, heart attack or anything else for people who are unwilling to pay a few hundred for a mover, if they cant afford then they cant afford to go caravanning.

David

Are you serious?!

Ever thought that people took to caravanning because they're on a budget and can't afford trips abroad every year?

Not everyone is blessed with as much money as you obviously have.

FYI I do have a mover fitted and would be happy to help anyone who asked for my help with moving their 'van. I wouldn't ask to see a recent bank statement either.

I went on a rally last year and trying to get the van level by putting one wheel on a block resulted in the mover slipping due to the mud as it was so wet. The van either side saw the menfolk come and add a bit of muscle and we got there with the help from them. Glad I wasn't pitched next to the OP as I would have slid out of bed that night. :lol:

Edited by Capricorn12

I would try and help although I am not very able and would probably do myself a mischief, I would go through the motions of resting my hands on the caravan.

I would not help, although I have done many times in the past and been abused for it, would be to the motorhome people who look down their nose at us begging for a lift to the shops. Earlier this year on a rally the motorhomers next door came round and first words were "we hate caravans " only to beg lifts for shopping trips.

Next rally, organiser said right all those with cars can give us a lift to the town for the meal out. A push maybe a lift maybe not.

Do as you would be done by!

David

Lets hope you never have a problem with that attitude - I wouldn't be surprised if people came out and sat while you struggled I know I would.

David

Yes I mandhandle my caravan after reversing it to roughly where I want it.

I bought my caravan on a tight budget for myself and the family to have cheap weekends and holidays. I chose not to have a mover fitted because I did not want the payload of my caravan reduced.

How would you feel if you where in a position as alot of people on here with little or no money and could not afford a mover, and had to manhandle your own caravan. I hope everyone on site would refuse to help. Even if you had a major fault with it.

Oh and yes I would and have helped other people manhandle their caravans on site.

Not everyone is made of money

Edited by yozza

Guest Benzowner

David

Put a sign in your window, I DON'T HELP OTHERS DON'T HELP ME

. If you can't reverse a caravan then you should not be towing. :(

Edited. It is the festive season after all. .

Edited by bartow

I never push a caravan. I sold caravans when I was a lot younger than I am now and saw plenty of nasty back troubles begun and one heart attack. People should not push caravans. I have moved caravans on site for people in wet weather using my 4 x 4.

Presumably if the OP has a problem with his outfit, such as a failed battery (and it can happen even with a new one), he will refuse all offers of a jump start as he should have had the foresight and wherewithall to puchase a jump-starting power pack, or maybe he would just wait for the breakdown service - which he has presumably paid for.

Hopefully when the next breakdown occurs on a cold, snowy night in the middle of nowhere with no mobile phone reception, whoever `upstairs` decides whose "turn" it is will have found their ideal candidate. It may just bring about a little humility.

David

What an appalling attitude! We choose not to have a motor mover. I pride myself on being able to put my caravan exactly where I want it, using whichever Land Rover we are in. I have also helped others to get on and off of pitches using my vehicle.

I hope that the OP never needs help from others!

First time I have ever put a negative post up, but this attitude makes me quite upset. Caravanning is great fun, and we should all be willing to help each other!

I can't afford a mover, that's me stuck then, peasant that I am :P

I am not suprised at the response or the exagerated situations quoted where anyone would help out what I am talking about is people with large and expensive outfits who have the means to take them abroad but for whatever reason omit the mover in their budget. I would sugest that with basic movers around £400 if you cant run to that then how is servicing and insurance to be paid. Caravan are much bigger and heavier than in the past and there are more than a few situations where the mover will avoid the need for what are frequently elderly campers mauling.

I am not suprised at the response or the exagerated situations quoted where anyone would help out what I am talking about is people with large and expensive outfits who have the means to take them abroad but for whatever reason omit the mover in their budget. I would sugest that with basic movers around £400 if you cant run to that then how is servicing and insurance to be paid. Caravan are much bigger and heavier than in the past and there are more than a few situations where the mover will avoid the need for what are frequently elderly campers mauling.

My caravan is 15 years old, and has never had a mover fitted, and I choose not to, like I said earlier. I dont want one as it would reduce my payload. I can afford to have my caravan fully serviced and also it has always been insured every year.

Oh and by the way I lost my job due to ill health 3 years ago, but I can still afford the insurance and servcing, and have time away in my caravan.

So people who are on a very tight budget can still enjoy caravaning.

We are not all born with a silver spoon in our mouths

Are you serious?!

Ever thought that people took to caravanning because they're on a budget and can't afford trips abroad every year?

Not everyone is blessed with as much money as you obviously have.

FYI I do have a mover fitted and would be happy to help anyone who asked for my help with moving their 'van. I wouldn't ask to see a recent bank statement either.

Well said

Interesting thread. ..........we rally 95% of time and only once in UK have we had to use the mover to get onto blocks. ....always somebody helps one. ......... Different in France where there is often a tree in the middle of the pitch and you want your van turning 180 degrees,

geoff

My caravan is 15 years old, and has never had a mover fitted, and I choose not to, like I said earlier. I dont want one as it would reduce my payload. I can afford to have my caravan fully serviced and also it has always been insured every year.

Oh and by the way I lost my job due to ill health 3 years ago, but I can still afford the insurance and servcing, and have time away in my caravan.

So people who are on a very tight budget can still enjoy caravaning.

We are not all born with a silver spoon in our mouths

I didnt want this to turn into a slanging match but a discussion of the need to maul caravans about when there is a perfectly sensible alternative however I aint letting the silver spoon remark go by .

I spent my working life down the pit and have enjoyed a long retiremnt now since our industry was destroyed.

If we want a I worked harder competition I am quite happy to enter

My attitude is "if I can help another human being then I will"

It's called civilisation

Guest jks

My attitude is "if I can help another human being then I will"

It's called civilisation

Presumerably not at the risk of a heart attack!!!!!

I will consider a mover as i get even older or become unwell. Atm it will chew too much from my already small weight allowance. If we could get a plate upgrade then again it may have been considered but this isn't possible on the current van.

Civility is also our motto, i am not impressed by the O/P's comments at all !.

I have been rallying for nearly two years now and we have also attended sardine sites too but we have never refused to help others nor have we refused help from elsewhere on the rare occasion we had needed it . We are members of the "friendly club" and it goes without saying it indeed is just that, no one from all the country wide DA's we have met have been as belligerent in any way shape or form .

To add a "and finally" to my post we have tight budgets and we have an older van with no mover, consequently we have to gently wheel our van from time to time, owing to its very well set up weight dispersion it is really easy to do so no need for the expense or additional payload weight to be added to our van hence the not needing to be mauled just eased or gently persuaded using the correct handles provided . Incidentally i am not one of the fittest of folk as i am disabled but if i can i will simple as that i like a bit of physio :ph34r: .

Shawn Gemma and Kids

Edited by avondale4

Sign in to follow this