Replacing Bulbs

Guest john1215

Guest john1215

Probably a simple answer to this question but I'm really aiming it at the Passat owners although it could apply to many more vehicles too and I am grateful for any comments made.

I have a 2004 Passat and so far haven't had to change any headlight bulbs. It is a requirement (as I'm sure you are all aware) to carry replacement bulbs when abroad. The handbook for my vehicle state that there is a need to remove other vehicle parts to gain access to the headlight bulbs and special skills may be required, at least, expert advice should be sought from VW dealer.

Is this the case, is it a difficult job as the handbook tends to suggest, what are the likely problems and has anyone had to change bulbs on a newer Passat. I say newer as I don't know what the fittings are like on older Passats.

john1215

John, I do not know what kind of headlights the Passat has, I have Xenon headlights fitted to my vehicle, and changing a bulb is a long and difficult job, and, ,,,,VERY costly,,in fact about £120 for the light unit. If you have Xenon fitted, then I would imagine that the same problems will be common. For that reason, to try and prolong my headlight life I have protectors fited to stop stone damage to them.

I have had to change both bulbs on my previous Passat (2002 SE) in the last six months. The nearside was possible with long fingers and the corresct swear words. The offside bulb was impossible for me at the roadside and I had to use the RAC. My new Passat (2004 Sport) appears identical. It might be worth carrying the tools required to reomve the airbox whilst touring,especially abroad

Guest john1215

I just have the normal healight bulbs - I asked the dealer for Xenons and at £800 they would pay and I couldn't afford it, so they are halogens. I tried once to get to the bulbs just in case, my hands are much too big even with the right swear words to reach the nearside and the offside needs the corrugated airpipe to be removed which I think is a push fit. I'll have to speak with the dealer and get some further information.

I always carry the spare bulbs and wondered how I stand if I can't change them on the roadside (in France).

john1215

Hmm, it looks like a pain,designed by CAD,isn't everything going the same way to discourage DIY. The next Euro directive will probably be the banning of home car maintenance completely, leaving us in the hands of garages that either charge the earth or don't do the job right. :(

Frank

I recently changed my headlight bulbs for a set set of Xenon bulbs, these I obtained from a supplier in Southampton which I found on the web. The Xenon bulbs are identical in size to the halogens which they replaced total cost was approx £20 and took me 10 mins to change. The result was a dramatic improvement in visibility.

Hi Del,

Genuine Xenon headlamps are much more than a bulb change,they are the whole headlamp units and they are pricey.

'Xenon headlamps use xenon gas and metallic salts to create light. An electrically generated arc replaces the filament used in conventional light bulbs. The start-up voltage of up to 28,000 V is supplied by an electronic ballast module fitted on the headlamp housings. This technology produces twice the light output of a halogen bulb, has five times the lifespan and consumes 30 per cent less power.

This results in much more effective and brighter illumination of the road and road margins, while using only 35 watts. Bi-xenon headlamps are a xenon headlamp which uses a single xenon lamp to produce both the high beam and the low beam. The full light beam is used to produce the high beam, while the low beam is produced by moving a shutter between the bulb and the lens, thus blocking off a portion of the light.'

There are any number of so called 'xenon' headlamp bulbs on the market,many of which are illegal in the UK. :blink:

What make of car did you fit these to. :)

Frank

Guest john1215
Hi Del,

Genuine Xenon headlamps are much more than a bulb change,they are the whole headlamp units and they are pricey.

'Xenon headlamps use xenon gas and metallic salts to create light. An electrically generated arc replaces the filament used in conventional light bulbs. The start-up voltage of up to 28,000 V is supplied by an electronic ballast module fitted on the headlamp housings. This technology produces twice the light output of a halogen bulb, has five times the lifespan and consumes 30 per cent less power.

This results in much more effective and brighter illumination of the road and road margins, while using only 35 watts. Bi-xenon headlamps are a xenon headlamp which uses a single xenon lamp to produce both the high beam and the low beam. The full light beam is used to produce the high beam, while the low beam is produced by moving a shutter between the bulb and the lens, thus blocking off a portion of the light.'

There are any number of so called 'xenon' headlamp bulbs on the market,many of which are illegal in the UK. :blink:

Frank

5157[/snapback]

Frank,

thanks for this information, I wondered what the Xenon was all about, the dealer didn't tell me anything like that except for the price. I've never driven a car with true Xenon lights but they look so bright when they are on a car travelling towards you, whats is the effect like when you're in that car?

john1215

leaving us in the hands of garages that either charge the earth or don't do the job right. :(

Frank

5015[/snapback]

Shouldn't that read AND :(

Does anyone who uses Xenon headlights think that the 'penetration' of the light produced suffers when it's wet?

On dry nights, the light produced is far superior, giving a larger, even spread of light. On wet nights however, I can't see that the light is any better than halogens - is this just me?

Perhaps this is why they always come with Headlamp wash? (Or perhaps this is just marketing to get more dosh out of you!)

Hi Del,

Frank

5157[/snapback]

Hi Frank

I appreciate that there are many "non UK Legal" bulbs available. The bulbs I fitted were Osrams and are the most powerful UK legal bulb available. The vehicle I fitted them was on a Frontera and when driving on unlit country lanes the improvement is clearly noticeable. I appreciate that it is a compromise when compared to a full Xenon conversion but for the price for me it was well worth it. The total cost for changing Headlight, spotlight and fog lights was less than £60 and the bulbs were obtained via the internet from a UK supplier and clearly marked UK legal.

Del