What do you look for when picking your pitching spot on your campsite?

Are there attractions or facilities that you want close to you? Things you want to keep away from?

Let us know what makes the perfect pitch spot for you :)

Broad Lane Leisure

Making outdoors a pleasure since 1971

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

I look for tell tale signs of noisy kids and dogs. Bikes, balls, scooters, air rifles,crossbows outside doggie water bowls. Maybe try and check the occupants of a already set up van preferring them to be elderly. Will do maybe two patrols before deciding. Check ground slope and obstacles but distance from facilities is not that important. Lovely view would be a bonus. This is not a dig at Dogs and Kids. Done the Kids bit much prefer the peace and quiet now . ........ B)

GAS . ........ :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

You should look for an isolated spot - close to facilities, with level ground - sloping for drainage, and no kids/dogs stuff lying around - so theres room for your swing ball and frizbees. You need to have the sun rising at your bedroom window, and setting at your door - but with plenty of shade - oh and a good viw of the satellite. Good access for the car, but no site traffic. Ask the site manager for all this - and they'll tell you where to go!

Ern

I look for tell tale signs of noisy kids and dogs. Bikes, balls, scooters, air rifles,crossbows outside doggie water bowls. Maybe try and check the occupants of a already set up van preferring them to be elderly. Will do maybe two patrols before deciding. Check ground slope and obstacles but distance from facilities is not that important. Lovely view would be a bonus. This is not a dig at Dogs and Kids. Done the Kids bit much prefer the peace and quiet now . ........ B)

GAS . ........ :angry:

We do the same thing although it seems all the kids on site know our plan and have a meeting point usually straight in front of our van.

Bailey GT65 Ancona Following Vauxhall Antara

You should look for an isolated spot - close to facilities, with level ground - sloping for drainage, and no kids/dogs stuff lying around - so theres room for your swing ball and frizbees. You need to have the sun rising at your bedroom window, and setting at your door - but with plenty of shade - oh and a good viw of the satellite. Good access for the car, but no site traffic. Ask the site manager for all this - and they'll tell you where to go!

:lol:

Realistically, for us, somewhere with an unobstructed view of the children's play area, but not on top of it. That's about it, really. And if there isn't a children's play area, we'll just pitch anywhere we like the look of. It really depends on what's available when we arrive. We aren't going to know whether our neighbours are child-intolerant until they tell us, by which time we may have been there a while. However, we've not upset anyone yet!!

Edited by alison01326

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see (GK Chesterton)

There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong equipment (Alfred Wainwright)

After the storms we had at Tattershall a few weeks back, we will never pitch under trees again.

regards

Lester Rope

VW Passat 2. 0 SE TDi followed by Adria Adora 612DP Lunar Champ H621 - we have moved to the dark side

We like sites where the vans are in small groves or hedges between them rather than serried ranks. We do avoid siting next to those who've got kids, toys, bikes or dog bowls outside them. Those with big awnings and TVs inside are also given a wide berth

A reasonable distance from the bins, bogs, water & waste points, recycling and the washing up area. Not that we've got a problem with them as such but some people are incapable of using them quietly especially at night or early mornings.

We like to back up against a hedge (provided there's not a road behind it) so that people are discouraged from using us as a shortcut and hopefully not near a thoroughfare for dog walkers either.

If possible we like the doorside of the van on the west side so we get the sun in the afternoon/evening for BBQ & G+T time and a nice view out the front is a bonus

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Avoid shaded pitches, although like to have a hedge or similar at the rear of the van to afford some privacy. Much prefer more open sites so we can enjoy the sunshine around the caravan in the daytime and evening BBQ. Not too bothered about being close to the amenity block, as enjoy the walk and exercise. Handy to be not too far from the dog walk area if one exists as usually head out first thing in the morning with my trusty four legged friend. Prefer to be away from children's play area, only because we have no children and prefer a more tranquil setting.

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

First thing i look out for are trees . They mean bird mess, tree sap . drips if raining noise in the wind on leaves or falling branches on the roof and blocking out satellite signal .

Then i look for a pitch away from play areas and amusments . prefer a flat hardstand if available

Then not on a main entrance and exit route .

Then once i select a area i will look for distance to shower/toilet block and water but not a deciding facture as only used once a day usually .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Preferably hardstanding and somewhere fairly open with no overhanging tree's. Ideally so that the van will face South or thereabouts and close to facilities but not close enough to hear the dull background noise of the extractor fans! If not close enough to toilet block then a service point nearby for fetching water and emptying the waste.

Ideally a pitch with a good view (if this exists on the particular site).

Don't think in 20 years of caravanning I have found the ideal pitch more than a handful of times :(

Ian

We like to be away from trees, and preferably on grass. When on CL's we pitch as far as possible from other caravans. Front facing South West. Not too worried about being close to water or EHU as we carry several long leads. Do not mind a bit of a slope but not too much.

Oh and away from children and animals! A couple of years ago we were pitched close to somebody with a parrot, that squawked all the time the owners were out!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Can you tell me why? The last twice I have been on sites with hardly anyone on them, there were imperceptible differences between the pitches, IMO. However with the whole site to choose people have pitched right next to us. Why? Must want to be next to the bairns (two weimariners)

Kevin

I get my compass out and pick any free pitch that gives a good view of the south-east. Then sit back and watch Sky!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I take into account level pitch, sun, proximity of trees, how far to water point and ease of access.

Then pitch where I am told by Mrs B, bless her.

Bryan

Swift Challenger 530 SR 2012

Landrover Freelander 2 Td4 Auto Diesel 2010

40 years a Caravan Club member

Try to get a place close ish to the facilities block as my wife currently has mobility problems and she refuses to give in to them by only using the van facilities. Then try not to get too close to anywhere that appears to have dogs as they can be a real pain.

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

We like sites where the vans are in small groves or hedges between them rather than serried ranks. We do avoid siting next to those who've got kids, toys, bikes or dog bowls outside them. Those with big awnings and TVs inside are also given a wide berth

A reasonable distance from the bins, bogs, water & waste points, recycling and the washing up area. Not that we've got a problem with them as such but some people are incapable of using them quietly especially at night or early mornings.

We like to back up against a hedge (provided there's not a road behind it) so that people are discouraged from using us as a shortcut and hopefully not near a thoroughfare for dog walkers either.

If possible we like the doorside of the van on the west side so we get the sun in the afternoon/evening for BBQ & G+T time and a nice view out the front is a bonus

That sounds pretty much like our perfect pitch - when you find please tell us where it is!

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

As it happens we've managed it several times this year. Try the CC sites at Salisbury or Battle, the one near Hereford is pretty good as well as were the private adult only sites near Cromer and Ellesmere that we tried out. You can even get some good pitches at the CC site in Brighton.

The CC sites near Wareham and the one at Carsington Water are also very good even with kids, we've taken the grandsons and they love it - they can go and play with the other kids in the woodland parts and not disturb the rest of us.

The only time we really struck unlucky was at the Incl'boro Fields CC site near Cromer a couple of years ago - we went during the first week of the school summer holidays taking both our grandsons with us (12 & 9) as we thought they'd like it, near the sea etc. It was a nightmare - the place was mobbed, there were kids, dogs, toys, bikes, scooters,windbreaks, ginormous awnings all over the place. Some pitches had 2-3 cars on them which had to negotiate their way between other pitches to get in and out. It was also very noisy (not just the kids)

We stuck it for a couple of nights but even the grandsons asked to go home, so we did. It actually looks like a nice site but not during the kids holidays

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

good view, near but not too far from service point.

Not near a speed bump or bin point.

Same here we found the ideal spot this week all the other vans were on the opposite side of the site a great spot for the first 3 nights then with about 20 spare pitches near us a motor home yesterday pitched directly opposite us side ways on blocking our view of the Marina. Ok no problems there but when he was practicing playing the clarinet badly we thought we would have move but as we were coming home today we didn't bother just put the ear plugs in :rolleyes: