Sign in to follow this  
ericfield

The Two Aquarolls Thing

Genuine question. ..how does having two aquarolls make life 'easier' (so I read) ?

You still have to walk twice to the taps; you just do it at the same time, rather than a refill 2/3days apart.

Do you have a waste tank that takes the extra water? or do you empty the grey waste twice as often?

Thanks for raising this topic. My Hubby keeps saying we'll get another aquaroll for when we get our end washroom van and start using the shower, but I say we don't need one and it's extra weight in the car/caravan when travelling. I'll have to prove him wrong now and be extra frugal with the water supply!

Mind you, there are loads of vans with the two aquarolls set up so there must be a benefit somewhere!

I have two but leave one at home, they came with a van I bought years go.

Unless I'm a long way from the tap I never disconnect my roll from the pump etc, just use the watering can I keep in the front locker to keep it topped up every day. That way I never feel the need for two.

It means that if one runs out all you need to do is swap the pump to the full one which if it's wet or dark doesn't take long. You can then refill the empty one at your leisure.

The grey waste is just a matter of keeping a check on it and empty it before it gets too full

Been using two aquarolls for 15 or 20 years . .. why? Well if you only have one it will inevitably run out at the wrong time, so it is easier to nip out and change it than trundle off to the water point. Two full 29 litre aquarolls do us for a weekend, but only fills one wastemaster!

Genuine question. ..how does having two aquarolls make life 'easier' (so I read) ?

You still have to walk twice to the taps; you just do it at the same time, rather than a refill 2/3days apart.

Do you have a waste tank that takes the extra water? or do you empty the grey waste twice as often?

Hi Eric. I have two aqua rolls and would not be without them. When we reach site I take both over to the fresh water stand pipe and fill them. I then push one and pull the other back to the caravan.

The benefit of two is that if one runs out then there is one on-hand for an immediate swap-over. They are both chained side by side through the carry handle to the OS front steady leg with a Disc Lock.

The waste water trolley is chained to the OS rear steady leg and is actually a little larger capacity than one of the aqua rolls,therefore when the first aqua roll is empty it (the waste water) gets taken over and emptied and the aqua roll is re-filled and put back into place awaiting the next cycle.

When the loo cassette is emptied at the disposal point and washed prior to re-fitting into the locker before returning or moving onto another site/location any water that is left in one of the aqua rolls is then used for the initial dilution of the chemical and topping up of the flush tank.

If there is any more left over it is used for cleaning the windscreen & glass,lights at front & rear on car & caravan and finally the chamois before setting off.

Been using two aquarolls for 15 or 20 years . .. why? Well if you only have one it will inevitably run out at the wrong time, so it is easier to nip out and change it than trundle off to the water point. Two full 29 litre aquarolls do us for a weekend, but only fills one wastemaster!

Same here

It means that if one runs out all you need to do is swap the pump to the full one which if it's wet or dark doesn't take long. You can then refill the empty one at your leisure.

The grey waste is just a matter of keeping a check on it and empty it before it gets too full

I guess I am a bit weird. ..I have a bucket and top up the (one) aquaroll every 1/2 days during those moments when us blokes have nothing special to do. Only takes a few moments and a bucketful isn't heavy to carry.

I bought a 2nd one recently. My original one (different make, green) does not have the side fitting for the float-valve mains kit, so in order to use that I needed an aquaroll.

Before that I had stayed on a fully serviced pitch, where the mains kit would have been useful.

I figured the 2nd aquaroll will be useful on 'normal' pitches to allow filling when convenient rather than when if runs out - usually when dark or raining!

We used to have two Aquarolls and got in the habit of making sure one was full and one partially full each evening.

This avoided the dreaded running out of water mid shower etc etc.

Now we have an onboard tank. .. so we only take one Aquaroll but make sure the onboard tank and the Aquaroll is full every evening.

This means whenever the light saying the onboard tank is down to 6 litres we can top up!

Wrt the Wastemaster it gets emptied every time the Aquaroll is topped up. . ie once a day!

HTH

G.

We have 2 and, as others have said, I fill them both on arrival and then we have a spare for when the first one is empty.

Only one. Travels under the bed and there would be no room for two. Check level by lifting every so often and fill when nearing empty. Never run out - ever!

Obviously if approaching shower time for my wife - I use site facilities if available - I will be sure enough water is ready.

I doubt that having 1 or 2 saves energy because either situation needs the same volume of water but for me the saving in bulk/weight and initial cost makes a single setup worthwhile.

Of course on a fully serviced site do you need more than 1 anyway!

I've never understood the logic of this either. .......presumably you need two grey waste containers also?.....

Only one. Travels under the bed and there would be no room for two. Check level by lifting every so often and fill when nearing empty. Never run out - ever!

Obviously if approaching shower time for my wife - I use site facilities if available - I will be sure enough water is ready.

I doubt that having 1 or 2 saves energy because either situation needs the same volume of water but for me the saving in bulk/weight and initial cost makes a single setup worthwhile.

Of course on a fully serviced site do you need more than 1 anyway!

Have to say I have never run out, but I don't fill it and forget about it.

We also have some bottled water for drinks . ..so even if we did run low, washing could wait.

Same here, just pop out and swap aquarolls then fill when its convenient, I have the 29 & 40 litre ones as they fit snug in the shower room :)

They are both chained side by side through the carry handle to the OS front steady leg with a Disc Lock.

The waste water trolley is chained to the OS rear steady leg

My God Rooster - where do you go caravanning. ....is it really that bad?

Never felt the need for 2, I fill up with water every evening and empty the waste at the same time and never run out of water, only the 2 of us in the van so dont use a lot

Why stop at 2? get 3. Only kidding, but I've yet to see the point, one does me fine, but there's only me and her, so maybe its different with a family along too.

Maybe travelling rooster goes to the same places as the rest of us, but perhaps has a bit of a suppressed bondage thing going on :)

We have 2, but they are only the 29 litre ones & there is 3 of us. We find it easier to have 2 & just switch over when needed, or, before a shower switch to the full one & fill up the part full one.

As for the waste, given not all of the water is going to go down the plughole, we find we empty a wastemaster once a day (hubby is a tea fiend), & on some sites we use a waste water filter (which removes all of the food waste & soap scum) - & just passes used water slowly onto the ground (not a lot different to the sites which allow you to drain waste directly into hedgrows, but no food waste in it to attract rats, mice, flies etc.) Works well for us!

The benefit of two is that if one runs out then there is one on-hand for an immediate swap-over. They are both chained side by side through the carry handle to the OS front steady leg with a Disc Lock.

The waste water trolley is chained to the OS rear steady leg . ......

The day I felt I needed chains I would stop caravanning, where do you go to.

We use two for convenience. We only use our own facilities, both get a shower first thing, so a quick switch to the full one before bed and we are set. Fill when I want to not when I have to. Empty waste as needed. I imagine if we used site facilities we would just use one.

John

Guest jks

We too only use our own facilities and we have two. It means you never run out of water. Also have an on board water tank so plenty to go at on a cold and frost morning or when it is pouring.

All a matter of choice and comfort. Why is it some people seem to think that caravanning should be done as roughly as possible or it is not caravanning as it should be ;)

Why is it some people seem to think that caravanning should be done as roughly as possible or it is not caravanning as it should be ;)

You could ask the same question as to why people buy a touring caravan and just keep it on the same seasonal pitch all year. :mellow:

There are just the two of us, so the one water container lasts us for a long weekend. It a big one just smaller than the waste hog, so when that empty, it time to empty the waste water anyway. Have a separate five litre container of water in the caravan, so will always have water for the kettle. ;)

Ok so some people buy an aquaroll - a device intended to make the movement of water easier and then they leave the aquaroll at their caravan and carry the water in a bucket or watering can!

An aquaroll holds 40 litres. For a couple that is a lot of water to use and if the thing is topped up every day as part of the caravanning routine, along with emptying the waste, then there is little chance of the water supply running out at an inopportune moment. Perhaps slightly different for those using the on board shower but do they have two waste containers?

I'm guessing that those with two aquarolls also wear belts and braces and carry a gallon of petrol in their car boots!

Same here, just pop out and swap aquarolls then fill when its convenient, I have the 29 & 40 litre ones as they fit snug in the shower room :)

I have the same set up,the reason being that with just one barrel when I run out of water I have to hang the filter filler hose on the hook provided and then go and fetch water,in the mean time some water has dripped out of the hose and gets back into the system and causes the taps to splutter quite badly. I have the on board pump. With 2 barrels I just take hose out of one and striate into the full one with no problems with air getting into the system.

But I see this as a matter of choice for each person.

Doosan