Sign in to follow this  
steve14

Volvo Xc60

I'm thinking of getting a 2. 0 diesel Volvo XC60 R design to tow my Unicorn S2 Valencia. I've checked on the Caravan Club web site and its a good match at 81% and I know it got their tow car of the year in 2009.

However I want some real caravaners views, whats it tow like and what's it like to live with? and are there any issues I need to look out for?

Steve,

I have towed with a Volvo XC60 SE Lux 2. 4 D5 Auto for nearly 3 years, and during that time has given faultless service. I tow a caravan plated at 1650kgs, which it tows with ease. I don't know how much your caravan weighs, or what the power output of the 2. 0 unit is, but the car itself is superb.

Thanks. .........Paul

Topazjazz thanks for the feedback much appreciated, the 2. 0 diesel engine produces 163bhp and the Unicorn Valencia S2 MTPLM is 1497kg which according to the Caravan Club outfit matching service is 81% of the Volvo's kerb weight so a good match.

hi Steve

cannot vouch for the 2. 0 litre version as I have a 2011 2. 4 litre with the auto box and AWD. From memory this puts out 215 hp and 420 Nm of torque - but it certainly tows a 1500kg caravan with ease - done about 4-5,000 towing miles over last 18 months - mainly deep into Euro land and no issues to report.

Previously had a manual 2. 0 Diesel Honda CRV with same van - good car but the XC60 does have a significant excess of power and torque which is especially noticeable on the steeper grades - traveled over the Brenner and Fern passes in Italy/Austria this summer and the thing just kept pulling all the way with plenty in reserve.

As a car the XC60 has been brilliant - absolutely no issues since delivery - the dealers from what I have used them are very good regards customer care but as in all things this tends to depend on who you use but certainly Harratts up here in Yorkshire and Lloyds over in Cumbria are excellent - if you get one then a top tip is to take the 3 year service pack if its still on offer - the last time I had some info sent it was still £300 covering the first 3 services.

MPG - on its own generally 30-35 depending on how I push along, with the van on the rear 25-28mpg again depends on the route - recent North Yorks to the Channel Tunnel A1/M11/M25 etc. 320 miles'ish returned just over 28mpg on the trip computer which is generally about 6% over optimistic when I tested it against actual fuel usage.

My car is now 16 months old, current mileage is 29K, serviced every 18k.

The Volvo Forum is a good source of info that is populated by actual owners but like this one you have to take some of it with a good pinch of salt and make your own informed choices - there is a specific section populated by caravan owners but this a mix of all Volvo models.

Other tips - I would go for the Michelin Diamaris tyres if fitted rather than the Pirellis as the Michelins offer greater mileage by far. Also highly recommend Volvo's own rubber mat set for the camping trips as they are moulded for the footwells - front and rear and are easier to keep clean over the standard carpet set provided, (if you don't get a deal with the car then volvopartshop. com supply official spares/accessories at good prices).

Tow Bar - the Volvo supplied detachable one is dearer that a fixed type or an independent brand but it is good as Volvo have at least put some thought into hiding it when not fitted - there is a small moulded cover that clips into the empty tow bar housing which when fitted blends into the existing bumper moulding as well as keeping the housing clean. You will have to check if the R Design model is compatible as I recall when I looked it had additional silver finishing plates fitted at the rear that may have to be cut.

hope this helps in making your decision - I know I thought long and hard before taking the plunge as this was my first Volvo and first auto transmission and I am still happy to report that the XC60 provides everything I want of my towcar - in fact its probably about the best car I have owned to date.

regards. ........... Paul

Can't help 'cause my XC60 hasn't arrived yet :(

Are you buying new? If so, are you a member of the Caravan Club? You get a great discount if you're a CC member.

Cumberland and Whatever thanks for the feed back, I'm not actually purchasing an XC60 it is one of my choices for a company car as is the new Honda CRV, the only things against the Honda is the Unicorn S2 Valencia equates to 87% of it's kerb weight (Volvo 81%), the max nose weight is 75kg (Volvo 90kg and the Honda has 155bhp from a 2. 2d engine (Volvo 163bhp from 2. 0d) which makes the Volvo a better bet.

I personally like both cars, with little in the trim levels and kit that comes with each, however my wife prefers the Honda so I may need to do some persuading here.

hi Steve

just to add that strangely my manual Honda CRV was a company car before I came out of the scheme and now have the XC60.

Although the CRV is just in the throws of being replaced the 2. 2 diesel is the same in the new model and I had my doubts as to the longevity of it whilst towing.

I had the car up to 60k and towed a Pegasus 524 not too dissimilar from your Unicorn S2 as regards chassis length & weight, occasionally I would feel the transmission slipping usually when on a rising grade at the time I made some enquiries and suspected early signs of a failing clutch and/or dual mass flywheel - see the Honest John website as CRV's have been known for this type of failure, the engine also liked a drop of oil every 2-3k. I will temper this and add that I had 2 previous CRV's both of which I did not tow with and both ran to 70k without issue and never used oil. Overall I have had 5 previous Honda's, 4 of them CRV's so it was a major change to Volvo.

My overriding concern was the Honda whilst legal and just above the usual 85% recommendation, was just a tad on the light side for the Pegasus and you may have the same problem and depending on your company car scheme you may not be covered for Clutch and DMF failure if they attribute it to accelerated wear & tear from towing, you will need to check this out with them.

regards

Paul

Cumberland and Whatever thanks for the feed back, I'm not actually purchasing an XC60 it is one of my choices for a company car as is the new Honda CRV, the only things against the Honda is the Unicorn S2 Valencia equates to 87% of it's kerb weight (Volvo 81%), the max nose weight is 75kg (Volvo 90kg and the Honda has 155bhp from a 2. 2d engine (Volvo 163bhp from 2. 0d) which makes the Volvo a better bet.

I personally like both cars, with little in the trim levels and kit that comes with each, however my wife prefers the Honda so I may need to do some persuading here.

I've had a test drive in both cars, but the D5 xc60, both cars are good.

But I'm pretty sure the new CRV has a 100kg nose weight limit for both diesel versions auto and manual.

I took the time to look in the test cars handbook. So i would ask the dealer to check for you.

And the CRV diesel is 148bhp,(petrol is 153bhp) with 258 torque at 2K revs, not 100% sure of the lower powered XC60, but think its 310 at 1500 rpm.

PS i wouldn't tow with the auto CRV only 5 gears with a 1500kg tow limit.

Edited by xtrailman

Paul

Even stranger my current caravan is a Pegasus 524, I'm trading this in for the Unicorn S2 Valencia and I currently tow with a 2010 Honda Accord TypeS which I know this with the van at it's MTPLM is 93% but I've been towing for quite a while and have no problems coping with this sort of car/caravan ratio. The Accord has been a superb car, however I was wanting something with more room and more suitable to the role of tugging a caravan around, the Volvo XC60 and CRV are on my company car list and fit the bill as is the Range Rover Evoke but it's a bit light. I recently had a 2012 (old model) CRV for a few days whilst my Accord was in for repair and I quite liked it as did the wife but given what you say I think my leaning is more toward the Volvo.