Sign in to follow this  
stevew1

Cello Tv

Has anyone out there got a Cello tv who could give an opinion of its picture quality & performance compared to other makes,especially Avtex.

I have been looking at the following TV on the TV Village site & it looks very nice.

Cello Black C19EFF 19" 12 volt TV Super thin cabinet.

http://www. tv-village. net/cello-black-c19eff-19-12-volt-tv-super-thin-cabinet-p-73. html

price on the site is around £200 which seems good for a dual voltage TV.

Thanks Steve.

I was in Ely Sainsbury's this afternoon and they were flogging 19" Toshiba TV/DVD combos for £139 and 22" ones for £159 - the picture looked OK but I don't know if they'll work off 12v directly. Makes the Cello one at £200 look a bit expensive

I have 2 Cello TV's one 22" and one 37", both have built in freeview and both have DVD players as well. I use the 22" in the caravan and the 37" at home. I can't fault either of them on picture quality or performance - my parents have a Samsung and it's no better.

We have the Cello Traveller with built in Freeview and FTA Sat receiver. The freeview is good, but the Freesat isn't that user friendly to set up (compared with the Goodmans Freesat receiver), and the EPG is pants. Picture is good, and no complaints on the freeview and dvd pictures.

I bought a Cello 19" TV/DVD last year from TV Village and couldn't get a decent picture - pixellation, etc when I tried to tune it in at home. We have 6 other TV tuners in various forms and have no problems with any of them. I reported this to TV Village and the owner/manager? insisted that there was nothing wrong with the TV and that my aerial was at fault. We weren't impressed with the sound quality either, but would have put up with that if the picture has been OK. I asked for a refund and eventually got it, but he was pretty nasty to deal with. I wouldn't use them again. Perhaps I was unlucky. We subsequently bought a Sharp TV from John Lewis which tuned in without any problems (and it looks suspiciously like an Avtex in design - but doesn't have 12v)

John M

Hi Stevew; I have a Cello 19" inc. Sat receiver picture is good, sound good, however very difficult to set up because signal strength does not refresh when moving dish you will need a reasonable sat finder, otherwise half the price of Avtex. Previously had maplin box which altered both signal strength and quality, both were displayed on screen. Advantage is no seperate box; I still prefer sky EPG - if space is the issue buy it, otherwise use normal tv with skybox.

Before you go spending your hard earned check these out

http://www. kogan. co. uk

We have being using one of their 24’ LED/DVD/PVR TVs for the last six months at least and its being excellent. If you’re into rallies and no EHU then it only uses 2. 1 Ah as well.

There 16" HD LED TV with DVD player & PVR starts at £89.

Can’t fault them and cracking good value.

Edited by shmoo

Cello with DVD but no sat decoder. Very good picture and sound.

I bought a Cello at the Camping and Caravanning Club NFOL in 2011. It is very reliable, great picture quality and runs on 12V. What more do you need? Freeview and DVD are built in.

I have had my Cello 16 for a year now. Picture quality is very good, albeit I was advised by the seller (cubik, who no longer appear to be advertising TV's) that viewing angle on this model is narrow. I can't fault the picture. Sound quality isn't bad, not awful and not the best, but quite adaquate for the caravan. I haven't had a problem tuning it. The status 315 aerial has done the job in most cases and I have only needed to use an aerial with mast on one occasion.

got a 16" cello 240/12v dvd and freeview built in picture is very good but angles are limited, the sound is tinney even after playing with it is fine in the van but terrible in the house so got a samsung for the back room and the cello stays with the van.

The cello TV's look good and the power consumption is really low. I could not afford the £200 asking price and bought a Kogan 19" LED TV with DVD player and USB record for £99 with free delivery. This works well on 12 volts and while it consumes a tad more power than the cello is still very reasonable. The picture is not quite as good as the Sonys or Panasonics but being an ex TV engineer I am a little critical. Darker scenes do seem to be a bit pixelated in the shadows and the sound is no more than you would expect from a £99 tv but when it's not in use in the van I transfer it to the bedroom and it gives another set to watch and record some programs onto plus my wife thinks the picture is great. The EPG is a little clunky and odd but once you are used to it there is no problem. You pays your money and you takes your chance. P. S. dont lose the stand like I did as they tried to charge me nearly £40 for a new one. I finished up going to the local tip and looking through the container full of tv's and found one that fitted and looked like new - all for free.

I Have just purchaced the Cello Traveller 19" nice looking TV and good price . ......But the instuctions are tiny and I have good eye sight!. The sound is rubbish and as for tuning in for satellite forget it, there's no help from the Instuctions and no help from signal quality meter on screen It's going back . ......!!!!!!

I bought the Cello 19" Traveller back in September.

The picture is excellent, especially on the HD satellite channels.

The sound is, as another poster said, adequate for the caravan, but nothing to write home about.

The 12V power consumption is absolutely brilliant, the plate on the back says something around 3A, but measuring with a multimeter when playing a DVD, it was only drawing 1. 7A!

You need to tweak the manufacturers presets to get the best picture if you're fussy (I am) turn off the unnecessary noise reduction, increase the sharpness, and adjust the Red/Green/Blue to get the best results, preferably using the THX calibration of a suitable DVD (many titles have this in "extras").

The satellite meter, as has already been stated, doesn’t refresh fast enough to make it any use when aligning the dish, so a separate one is need.

For normal (Freeview) tuning, press "Quickstart" select "DVB" and away you go.

The satellite section has a few operational gripes, the preset order is hopeless, channel 1 starts at BBC1 NI and then lists every other BBC1 region in sequence before going on with all the other channels.

I found it best to use "Quickstart" select DVB-S to scan all the free channels, which again you can't reorder.

I then added all the channels I want to watch to a favourite list, you still can't reorder them (and they are listed in the order, and with the same channel number, they were found when scanned), but you can bring the list up on screen and select them directly from it or by channel number for those you memorise. For instance, I have about 50 channels on my favourite list, but I know that BBC1 HD is channel 173

Conclusion, well worth the money, great picture, acceptable sound and excellent power consumption. If you can forgive, and live with, its satellite operation foibles worth every penny 8. 5/10.

Just as an update to my previous post I have just got round to measuring the power consumption of my Kogan 19" TV/DVD and it comes out at around 1. 38 amps meaning it is only consuming 17 watts using 12 volts. This is much less that the 'less than 32 watts' that they quote in the manual and is what I incorrectly based my previous post on. Will be going on a rally soon so my spare 110 a/h battery that runs the TV should last 50 hrs or more in theory. The best £99 I have spent. :D

Edited by Capricorn12

I bought the Cello 19" Traveller back in September.

The picture is excellent, especially on the HD satellite channels.

The sound is, as another poster said, adequate for the caravan, but nothing to write home about.

The 12V power consumption is absolutely brilliant, the plate on the back says something around 3A, but measuring with a multimeter when playing a DVD, it was only drawing 1. 7A!

You need to tweak the manufacturers presets to get the best picture if you're fussy (I am) turn off the unnecessary noise reduction, increase the sharpness, and adjust the Red/Green/Blue to get the best results, preferably using the THX calibration of a suitable DVD (many titles have this in "extras").

The satellite meter, as has already been stated, doesn’t refresh fast enough to make it any use when aligning the dish, so a separate one is need.

For normal (Freeview) tuning, press "Quickstart" select "DVB" and away you go.

The satellite section has a few operational gripes, the preset order is hopeless, channel 1 starts at BBC1 NI and then lists every other BBC1 region in sequence before going on with all the other channels.

I found it best to use "Quickstart" select DVB-S to scan all the free channels, which again you can't reorder.

I then added all the channels I want to watch to a favourite list, you still can't reorder them (and they are listed in the order, and with the same channel number, they were found when scanned), but you can bring the list up on screen and select them directly from it or by channel number for those you memorise. For instance, I have about 50 channels on my favourite list, but I know that BBC1 HD is channel 173

Conclusion, well worth the money, great picture, acceptable sound and excellent power consumption. If you can forgive, and live with, its satellite operation foibles worth every penny 8. 5/10.

I have the 22" Traveller and agree with bspks's comments.

Superb TV. Especially for the price.

One other huge benefit (for me anyhow) is that you can plug a usb drive in and play your movies / pictures / music from it.

Oh. . and it will then use the USB drive as a PVR for recording TV.

only downside is the lack of decent epg for freesat. I just set all my favourites up and use it that way.

Bought from TV Village - highly recommend these guys too.

I have one, its excellent, picture quality and sound as good as Avtex, the picture size is maximised due to very little surround. The Avtex has approx 1. 5 inch of nothingness around the actual screen. This means you can hide a lager screen tv on the TV riser in the caravan. Less than half the price too

I've been in our caravan today & noticed the TV I bought from Roys is the 19" Cello traveller too, I didn't take much notice when I bought it, I was looking at the picture quallity

We bought a 22" Cello Traveller freeview / dvd / usb and satellite a little while ago after our Bailey Avtex gave up the ghost. The Bailey bracket mounts on the back fine and sits well on the van wall, the viewing angle, picture quality and sound is a lot better than the one provided with the van and a lot less pennies. We have been using it in the house and the quickset is simple to tune in the digital and satellite signals very pleased with it

Edited by dave11a

I bought a Polaroid 19" TV with DVD from Asda just before Christmas. £89! It works at 12v with a transformer supplied for mains. The only issue I had was obtaining a spare bayonette connector to make up a 12v feed for the caravan but eventually sourced one on e-bay for £4.

Re my post above, it's a "larger" tv you can hide on the riser. The 'lager' I keep in the fridge, for summer, will be out of date soon I suppose !!!!