Awning Tensioner

Guest iank

We have a Dorema Madison 1050 awning and the roof seems to sag and allow rainwater to collect in two patches. Obviously in a heavy downpour this is a concern because the weight of the water would stretch the awning. How does one go about using a tensioner and what does it actually do?

We have a Dorema Madison 1050 awning and the roof seems to sag and allow rainwater to collect in two patches.   Obviously in a heavy downpour this is a concern because the weight of the water would stretch the awning.   How does one go about using a tensioner and what does it actually do?

49973[/snapback]

I have one and it works for me, a bit difficult to explain how it works, but I'll try. ..the two black rubber bits grip the pole and the metal bar goes against the thumbscrew used to lock the two poles together, once the pole is stretched using the handle you tighten the thumbscrew :( See link

We had the same problem with our Dorema, we have heard of quite a few more with Doremas who have had this problem since then. :(

We bought a Trio, :) for this van and it has 5 poles. ........could you get extra poles for yours

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Ian,

Perhaps this link will help.

http://www. waudbys. co. uk/products/details/266. html

This is the current Isabella and is universal. The older Hercules which I use is cheaper and comes in 2 sizes to cover all variants.

We managed for years without one but it is so much easier using one to get a tight awning,or tent. We have a Dorema Toronto.

Frank

We bought the extra ploles for our Dorema but still have the same problem of water collecting in the corners of the roof.

We have a Dorema Madison 1050 awning and the roof seems to sag and allow rainwater to collect in two patches.   Obviously in a heavy downpour this is a concern because the weight of the water would stretch the awning.   How does one go about using a tensioner and what does it actually do?

49973[/snapback]

Gizmoman has explained the use very well, all would be revealed if you bought one and looked at the illustrations as well. From the replies it is very apparent to me that Dorema has an inherent problem!! never ever had any such problem with Isabella Awnings.

Hi iank

We have a Dorema Madison as well and haven't had any such problems.

As other people have similar problems perhaps it is down to the shape of your van at the corners, what type of van do you have?

I can't see it being a problem with the awning itself, but it can't be ruled out. It may be worth setting it up and taking some photos and show them to the dealer where you bought it from.

I remember we had an NR awning that used to do this, and we were confident we had fitted it correctly. We were told it could be the particular shape of the van we had at the time.

Baker69

I've got the 'Hercules' tensioner for my 3m wide Isabella Commodore and it's the dogs doobries.

Usually around £15. Or, £10 at shows !

50594[/snapback]

I woudnt be without my tensioner, I have bad artharitis and find it helps me a great deal. Use it on Bradcot Classic excellent

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a Hercules tensioner today and it is not the same as the one in the catalogue, paid £13. 50 -

Received - Blue plastic hook, suits 22-25mm poles (Version 2) on label

Catalogue - Black Rollers, suitable for 19-26mm poles

Can anyone advise if there is any advantage between the two - i. e. roller versus rubber hook and the difference in accomodating a broader size range of poles.

The tensioner is for use on Fibreglass poles but may be metal poles later on if we change the awning.

Appreciate any comments on offer

Thanks

Ian

I bought one of them and tried it out but found that it would bend the screw used to tighten backwards. I thought I was going nuts so I asked the caravan engineer to try it and he agreed that it could damaged the tightener. I am actually refering to the metal strap in which the tightening screw is contained. The metal strap gives, as it is too thin. Anyway the good news is that the dealer gave me a refund when I retunrned it a few days later.

We stayed in Devon last summer and had two consecutive nights of heavy rain. We have a Dorema Calypso and I woke at 3am during the first downpour and found a HUGE pool of water had collected in one corner. As both my daughters sleep in the awning I stayed up to keep pushing the water off with a broom. Despite my attempts to retension it I spent the next night doing the same thing!

We are getting a new caravan in April and have ordered a Bradcot awning - partly as a result of my experience.

Bought a tensioner in a moment of weakness thinking 'good idea', first time I used it was not impressed, metal tubes without plastic caps so not much to lever against, went back to doing it by hand. If you can get one to work better than I did, you need to be careful that you don't apply so much tension as to cause damage to the side of the van. We have a Dorema Madison (980 size - no pooling problem by the way) which has the rectangular pads (or feet) that sit against the van. I've noticed that even hand tensioning the tubes has caused the feet to mark the side of the van.

Bought a tensioner in a moment of weakness thinking 'good idea', first time I used it was not impressed, metal tubes without plastic caps so not much to lever against, went back to doing it by hand. If you can get one to work better than I did, you need to be careful that you don't apply so much tension as to cause damage to the side of the van. We have a Dorema Madison (980 size - no pooling problem by the way) which has the rectangular pads (or feet) that sit against the van. I've noticed that even hand tensioning the tubes has caused the feet to mark the side of the van.

51782[/snapback]

I have always thought these tensioners might only be required if the person putting up the awning had arthritis, or some other disability, that made gripping the awning poles difficult. I find that, even manually, I can put too much tension on the poles and have to back them off a little. Incidentally, I find our Isabella awning a treat to erect, even being able to do it without assistance if necessary. I always ensure that I peg down the front loosely just in case the wind gets up.

Mlamont

I woudnt be without my tensioner,  I have bad artharitis and find it helps me a great deal.   Use it on  Bradcot Classic  excellent

50649[/snapback]

I'm the same, plus a bad back, couldn't be without mine. Excellent piece of kit for the money.

I'm with JetA1, I can't really see the need for a Tensioner other than if you do have medical problems with your hands, and as he says there is a danger of denting the van, particularly with wind buffering.

I don't think awnings are really designed to be stretched that tight anyway.

I had this problem with my Doreama awning, came back from the pub on very rainy night to find both corners down to the ground. :o I bought extra roof poles which reduced it but not cure, bought a tensioner (would not be without it now) but it did not cure the problem. I ended up taking it to a canvas repair company in Burton on Trent to have it altered that did the trick as it now fits perfectly, :lol: but it cost a hundred and thirty quid :rolleyes:

We stayed in Devon last summer and had two consecutive nights of heavy rain. We have a Dorema Calypso and I woke at 3am during the first downpour and found a HUGE pool of water had collected in one corner. As both my daughters sleep in the awning I stayed up to keep pushing the water off with a broom. Despite my attempts to retension it I spent the next night doing the same thing!

We are getting a new caravan in April and have ordered a Bradcot awning - partly as a result of my experience.

51694[/snapback]

Wasn't by any chance the last week in July while you were in Devon. We had two nights of heavy rain. I woke in the morning to find a huge puddle on the roof of our 960 Bradcot Active. When I tried to push the water off, I broke one of the end roof poles. I had to lash a wind break pole to the two broken sections to keep it straight. This was the first night of a 2 weeks holiday. The repair to this and all the other bent poles came to about £150.

I think I'll invest in a couple of extra fibreglass roof poles this year. !

Wasn't by any chance the last week in July while you were in Devon. We had two nights of heavy rain. I woke in the morning to find a huge puddle on the roof of our 960 Bradcot Active. When I tried to push the water off, I broke one of the end roof poles. I had to lash a wind break pole to the two broken sections to keep it straight. This was the first night of a 2 weeks holiday. The repair to this and all the other bent poles came to about £150.

I think I'll invest in a couple of extra fibreglass roof poles this year. !

52983[/snapback]

I think it was the last week in July. 2 consecutive nights of rain!