Sign in to follow this  
Guest jks

Windows 8 ?

The may not be a point at the moment but the new interface and programming model may lead to a reason. Some programs even now need a minimum of Sp3 on XP and the App style will only be supported on Win8. It comes down to something being produced that is only as an app and you would want it.

For example I am not particularly enamoured with Windows Media Player and the current Music App is even worse but if somebody produces something better then this would make it more interesting, it just depends on what you are looking for. Gamers may like touch controls in a new game, a touch based web browser may be easier to use.

Windows Media Player?

Oh! is that the program I tried to use once, before I downloaded Winamp.

Windows Media Player?

VLC for me.

Windows Media Player?

Yes, that's the one. . the one that never EVER gets used after downloading VLC :)

Well took the Internet offer of upgrade to Windows 8 at £25

Did not like the Screen, think it childish. Was recomended to Google for " Free Classic Shell" did that download and now my screen is like previous Windows.

Windows 8 does not come with a Media Player at moment MSN offer it separately free, I have applied but no response yet. Anyone manged to get it and how long before the sent it?

You can pay for a backup Resue disc at £13, or make it yourself to a 2GB usb drive. Or I think a DVD, anyone done a DVD I'm not sure on the burning bit, anyone help me please on that part of it?

VLC for me.

Which website did you download it from?

Thanks for the link. B) I had already done that. I need to know the best site that is safe to download from not a list. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link. B) I had already done that. I need to know the best site that is safe to download from not a list. :rolleyes:

The top one ( http://www. videolan. org/vlc/index. html ) is the official page. Beware it may ask to install rubbish to your browser.

Beware it may ask to install rubbish to your browser.

Which was the reason for my original question. ;)

Which was the reason for my original question. ;)

. .but the rubbish is vlc itself! - no duplicate finder; no sync; poor interface!! Just my very humble opinion you understand!

. .but the rubbish is vlc itself! - no duplicate finder; no sync; poor interface!! Just my very humble opinion you understand!

Depends on what you expect from it I suppose. I've been using it for years, mainly so I don't have to go hunting for codecs every 2 weeks, although to be fair that may not be a problem anymore for WMP, I haven't used it for so long.

It does all I want it to do and I quite like the user interface. Easy to change default commands so I can use my remote control too.

Oh, and it's (legitimately) free :)

Edited by bigbawmcgraw

I have actually been using MediaMonkey for some years and found it was fine for what I wanted it for. (DJ at Meets with friends)

Ripping CD's was left to Windows Media Player.

VLC? Not sure it is best now.

I have actually been using MediaMonkey for some years and found it was fine for what I wanted it for. (DJ at Meets with friends)

Ripping CD's was left to Windows Media Player.

VLC? Not sure it is best now.

Horses for courses really.

I mainly use VLC for watching . mkv format movies with 5. 1 sound and listening to music when faffing about on the PC. Does both jobs perfectly.

I don't think it is much use for ripping CD's/DVD's but I haven't done that for years.

Edited by bigbawmcgraw

I mainly use VLC for watching . mkv format movies with 5. 1 sound and listening to music when faffing about on the PC. Does both jobs perfectly.

I don't think it is much use for ripping CD's/DVD's but I haven't done that for years.

Handbrake is good for rippping DVDs, does them chapter by chapter though, so you have to stitch them back together.

Windows Media Player is on Windows 8, just it runs with the desktop not as an App. The Music App included by default can be used as a audio media player but is really tied into XBox live and is less than intuitive to integrate local music and play it although it has some interesting features if you make the effort. My hope is that WinAmp or somebody will produce a decent Player App for the new UI.

Windows Media Center is not included with Windows 8, what is worse is the fact that if you do an upgrade from Win 7 it will report any incompatabilities with 3rd party software but absolutely no warning that MCE will be removed. Apparently the MCE download is almost exactly the same as the old MCE so why does it have to be removed?

Bless my cotton socks! As I am typing this my key for Media Centre I requested on Saturday has just popped in to my mailbox, so that's about 4 days. For a minority interest program there are loads of complaints about how long it is taking to issue these on the community website. Now all I have to do is work out how to get the integrated AverMedia tuner to work in my Acer all-in-one.

Best (most accurate) for ripping CD's is EAC. Can even rip CD's that others can't read due to scratches, etc. Oh, and there's a freeware version. However, not that user intuative! :(

VLC does what I want it to do - play media files without all the fuss of others. :)

Got to agree with Gellyneck VLC just gets on and does it, no farting or messing about!

I've just been to do a job at the church, change the time and date on windows 8, 25 minutes messing about and I still don't know how I managed to do it? Come on Microsoft you have to make the simple things simple, just getting the menu settings on the righthand side of the screen is a minor miracle it never works twice in a row, I can see people pulling the plug just to shut it down.

I've just been to do a job at the church, change the time and date on windows 8, 25 minutes messing about and I still don't know how I managed to do it? Come on Microsoft you have to make the simple things simple, just getting the menu settings on the righthand side of the screen is a minor miracle it never works twice in a row, I can see people pulling the plug just to shut it down.

I downloaded Free Classic Shell http://www. softpedia. com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Shell-Replacements/Classic-Shell. shtml now the horrible opening screen now looks like traditional windows.

The key thing to remember is that not all settings are in the new UI. Search is far more important now as it links through to more detailed options in the desktop.

For some peculiar reason time zone is in the Change PC Settings - General UI interface but time itself is not.

To get time its Charm - Search - Settings and enter "time" which list a couple of icons.

This however opens the desktop - Control Panel - Date and Time utility. Getting the Control Panel open is a little fiddly on Surface but on a desktop PC switch to desktop mode and push the mouse bottom left to bring up the little Start icon and right click to bring up a menu including control panel.

I have both the Surface tablet which Windows 8(RT) which works quite well and a touch screen All-in-one which is dire.