Sign in to follow this  
Guest jks

Windows 8 ?

I used to play for hours on the Sheffield Uni Tandberg, a big orange monstrosity of a terminal.

Can anyone remember the 64k Commodores, you used to have to wait an hour for the cassette tape to load up the programme and then find at the last turn of the reel you got a load fail message.

Now that brings back memorys, and to speed loading you removed the cassette cover :lol:

Sad thing is I still like playing bubble bobble :ph34r:

I have been working through Win 8 on the CP, RP and RTM and although underneath it is much the same the user interface is dire. 4 separate actions in order to turn off, very difficult to adjust the volume without a multimedia keyboard, the Music App is nothing to do with your music on the PC and all about buying music downloads from Miscrosoft's XBox site, preferred login is via Windows Live ID.

The Start Menu is quite hard to activate using touch and rather depends on a keyboard. Bit of a niche market but Media Centre has been dropped and will only be available free for a short time before being a paid for extra. When I did the upgrade on a MCE system absolutely no warning that the new OS did not include it and would be deleted. Some of the extra features such as storage spaces are good but not that relavent to home users although there is a lot of interest in using it as a home server.

I have tried using the touch interface on a desktop screen and it is just an absolute non starter, after about 3 minutes my arm ache is too much. I quite like the look of the Surface Tablet but as I found little use for the iPad I would need some convincing before paying out that much.

Since the Customer Preview there has been a surge in uptake for Windows 7 rather indicating that once corporate buyers saw 8 they saw no reason to wait and got on with rollouts (XP went off mainstream support in 2009 http://windows. micro. ..ducts/lifecycle ).

I can see 8 being as big a bomb as Vista with the only saving grace in Tablet/Phone/new home PCs. Business machines will come with downgrade options and most of the Vista "sales" claimed by MIcrosoft never actually had it installed.

I have tried to get to like it but the reality is I am using my iMac more.

I can see 8 being as big a bomb as Vista . ..........................

Oh good. Rather than buy Win8 I can invest in a Speccie 48 K then. ;)

I do miss my Pacman

Thanks Hairy

BO

. ...... and believe it or not a BBC Acorn!!!! That was long before the advent of hard disks. Had 10" floppies.

Reading that brought back memories. We had one at school. Yes, one!!! It was for the sixth form to share, but lower forms were able to go in and have a look. It was on a table at the end of the common room, and we all filed past for a look (like a Communist population saying their final farewell to their honoured leader!!!).

Wasn't much better when I went to college where I was studying to be a bi lingual secretary. There were fourteen of us on the course and six word processors/computers. We had a double lesson on a Thursday afternoon and sometimes some of us had a go on the WPs and sometimes we watched and made notes. The software was WordStar. We were very lucky to have had this on/off encounter with these marvellous machines as once we got into the workplace we discovered that some offices also had them but for occasional use only. The transition from golf ball typewriters took a while for most offices, in the same way that many were slow to move from telex to fax and much later when there was one (huge) mobile phone to be shared between any senior staff who were out of the office.

When I think about it, I could happily reminisce about all the equipment that would now only see the light of day in a museum!!!!

Edited by alison01326

An announcement on TV this morning said that Windows 8 is aimed at tablets and smart phones rather than desktop computers.

Something about M$ losing ground in the mobile market.

Think I will stick to Vista.

Guest jks

Think I will stick to Vista.

Vista was probably the worst operating system Microsoft produced. Try upgrading to Windows 7. I have had no problems with it and it is much more efficient.

When I think about it, I could happily reminisce about all the equipment that would now only see the light of day in a museum!!!!

Much of what is being brought out now will end up in a museum in about 5 years!!!!!!

Much of what is being brought out now will end up in a museum in about 5 years!!!!!!

That may have been true 10 years ago but for ordinary common or garden use, what was designed and old 5 years ago is still appropriate for today. Whilst some improvements have been made most of the real speed bottlenecks had been eliminated by then and a five year old machine will now cope with virtually any task you could ask it to. The real advance has been in touch screens but for personal use in the home with laptops and desktops they are not particularly useful.

My Vista runs very well. It's the PC that runs slow because it is old.

It runs all my photo and music software very well. (if it ain't broke don't fix it)

The laptop on W7 is like greased lightning but with 6 gig memory and fast processor it should be.

I will only go W8 on a tablet if that is the way to go but will bide my time until they have it running without user complaints on the forums.

Very impressed with an 16 gig Android recently purchased less than £100 which included a cover/keyboard.

Vista was probably the worst operating system Microsoft produced. Try upgrading to Windows 7. I have had no problems with it and it is much more efficient.

Vista does what I want OK.

I bought my wife an all in one with touch screen and Windows 7, I don't think that much of it, not worth the effort of changing mine.

Vista was (and is) a bomb financially. The methodology leaves a little to be desired but a recent analysis of installed operating systems showed whereas XP and 7 were sitting at over 40% each Vista never exceeded 6% (with the remainder covering all other O/S's)

Apart from the issues of the user interface (which just takes time) and User Account Control in it self it was OK. The biggest problem for me was performance. LHD your PC may be old but you would almost certainly find it noticeably faster on 7.

I took a Asus EeePC preloaded with XP and added extra memory, loaded Vista which made it almost unuseable. I then tried 7 and it was back to the levels of XP. Even my 6 year old Toshiba P100 is absolutely fine on 7. The best speed hike I have done recently is to install an SSD, the difference is stunning.

I started with an Acorn Electron, added a sideways ROM module then the Plus3 disk drive, loading from floppy was a revelation. When I upgrade to the BBC Master my father sold the Electron to his secretary so she could learn Word Processing. When I 1st went in to Electronics I worked for Philips on their dedicated WP systems with a whole 5Mb as a hard disk, the keyboard alone cost over £300.

While there I got an Epson FX80 printer but it was the model designed for multipart paper so instead of the normal rubberised platten roller it had a solid aluminiun bar for the head to fire on, the din it made while printing was astounding.

If it lasts that long. It seems to be the case now that the built in obsolescence of both techie items and household appliances means they'll probably end up in the bin* in five years.

* metaphorically speaking. They'll hopefully be recycled!!!

A lot of the users I have to help locally are still running 6+ year old XP PCs. Many start by suggesting that they should upgrade but when I ask what they do with their PC the reality is there is little need. True in most cases a wipe down and reload would be a real benefit, sometimes some more memory although this has been frequently done already and occasionally a bigger HDD.

When all they are doing is a bit of web browsing, reading e-mails, faceache etc. even iPlayer this is all within the capabilities of XP with no need for 7 or especially 8. There has been little new in the PC world for the last 5 years that needs better hardware or O/S including the high end gaming has been fairly stable for the last couple of years. Corporate users may be concerned about MS support but that means little to many in the home.

Watching Balmer getting hysterical about Windows8 it is obvious that the real target is mobile/phone (iPad/iPhone) basic desktop users are not the target. The real problem is going to be new home PC buyers used to their office PC and finding it nothing like what they expect.

The big problem with jumping in too quickly when Microsoft chuck out an update is that generally the drivers haven't been written for a lot of the older periphipals. Over the years we've chucked out scanners, printers, memory drives and other odds & sods because there haven't been drivers written for them - I now wait for a while to see how the land lies. We have machines running XP, Vista and Win7 and we have to use the older builds to run some of the software and hardware that we still use. .

We started out with a Sinclair ZX80, then 81, Commodore VIC20, Acorn Electron, BBC B, BBC Master and then the jumped to an Amstrad running CP-M and then onto IBM compatible PCs and down the MS-DOS route, also dabbled with Apples (but only at work) and my latest toy is my Raspberry Pi which dropped through the letterbox on Wednesday and has yet to be fired up. Oh, and my Android Google Nexus 7 which I've now had for a few weeks

An announcement on TV this morning said that Windows 8 is aimed at tablets and smart phones rather than desktop computers.

That is what PCWorld have just told me as I looked at Windows 8 this afternoon.

My first impression is it is aweful and aimed at children and young adults. I certainly will not be buying an upgrade for my XP and Windows 7 computers.

Surprised that the upgrade price is far cheaper than previous systems at £49.

Can't see that Offices etc. will want this type of screen so I wonder what they will do when thier current PCs require replacements.

On a desktop PC you can just click the desktop button and it is like Windows. Apparently.

On a desktop PC you can just click the desktop button and it is like Windows. Apparently.

PCWorld guy did not know that, he did say they hoped for a business version to be brought out later.

Guest jks

So a real reason for not changing then!!!!

Some would say that a button to switch to desktop mode is too much. .......

I am certainly sticking with Win7 for the foreseeable future.

Until it gains accreditation status I wont be using it at work. The MOD really are not into cloud storage or apps and tend to shy away from media and games :o

Oh yes, my son had one, he had an olympics game that involved waggling a huge joystick to make the runners go along the track, we broke more joysticks!! He now designs sytems for IBM !!

Phil.

That wasn't Daily Thompson's Decathlon? we had the same problem.

That wasn't Daily Thompson's Decathlon? we had the same problem.

There was that one and also `Winter games` where you had to ski by using the same torturous method

then try and shoot the targets. Great memories of playing these games with the kids :)

Some parts of the MoD still use WindowsNT 4 so I don't imagine there will be a rush to Win8

Yes if you select the Desktop tile it drop back to the classic format except there are no menu's. The whole screen is the Start Menu so anything accessed by the Window Button is in the new interface. One feature I like with Win7 is the fact that the left pane of the start menu populates itself with my most used programmes so much of the time I don't have to look for them. I havn't used 8 enough to see if similar options are there but it seems fairly obvious.

Well having upgraded! it does boot and hibernate faster then Windows 7 and if you install a freeware program called Classicshell you can have your old Windows 7 start menu back overall it does seem more fluid then 7.

My wife has recently bought a new netbook for uni which came with an upgrade to W8. so as I type it is downloading, I dont see the point but she like most women likes a bargain lol

I will be sticking with W7 on my laptop (& the kids laptops) as it does what we need so don't see the point in changing