Sign in to follow this  
Guest jks

Windows 8 ?

I am positive that is all very negative information and i will stick at 7 as well.

I am with 3 on a dongle and expect they will have similar problems.

Hey Ho. It's like being on a magic roundabout.

Is 8 in Beta still?

I like to stick to something I know works - like 3. 11.

Well, whats good for the shuttle is good for me.

My Jet Pack still works on the Speccy 48 K

48K - what a laugh!

I suppose you two are not old enough to remember those days though.

Is 8 in Beta still?

I'm with you on that. I stuck with that through thick and thin until the internet pages got too posh for IE3 or 4 or whatever it was and I had to upgrade to Windows 95 to get a better version Internet Explorer. After a brief foray with Windows ME I'm on XP and will stick with it until 3. 1 is reintroduced ;)

Guest jks

Is 8 in Beta still?

48K - what a laugh!

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember!

Used to use DOS and BASIC back in the distant past. Even had an original Apple computer and believe it or not a BBC Acorn!!!! That was long before the advent of hard disks. Had 10" floppies.

Have to say Windows 7 is well worth the effort and doesn't have too many problems.

Edited by jks

When I first started working in 1965 the basic ICT 1901 punched card business computer had a 4k store and programs written in a thing called PLAN which had to be taken to a bigger machine for compilation before they could be run. As an alternative there were plugged programme electromechanical tabulators and valve driven calculators also in the range. It wasn't that the British industry was behind the curve either, IBM was selling similarly specified equipment at the time.

Edited by johnfromstaffs

Is 8 in Beta still?

48K - what a laugh!

I just threw out one white (original) Speccy and a black model with the expansion memory

(suitably shipped to make good contact)

48K - what a laugh!

My Speccy 48 is still around in my mum's house with all the cassette games and cassette player, I wonder if it will all still work.

This site has a lot of useful info. I get the impression you have to bin all your old toys and start from scratch.

http://www. techradar. com/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1093002/review

When I first started working in 1965 the basic ICT 1901 punched card business computer had a 4k store and programs written in a thing called PLAN which had to be taken to a bigger machine for compilation before they could be run. As an alternative there were plugged programme electromechanical tabulators and valve driven calculators also in the range. It wasn't that the British industry was behind the curve either, IBM was selling similarly specified equipment at the time.

IBM said they could see no future in computers for home use :rolleyes: In the 70's I had to use a Golfball printer to link to an IBM in Chicago (we used their down time while they slept)

Never buy a new version of Windows until at least the first service pack is rolled out!

Never buy a new version of Windows until at least the first service pack is rolled out!

:goodpost:

How true.

BO

I started with a Tandy TRS 80 and yes I will be up-grading to Windows 8 on my laptop on the 26th, got to keep the grey matter functioning some how and its a good excuse to reach for the bottle of red wine, cheers!

I started with a Tandy TRS 80 and yes I will be up-grading to Windows 8 on my laptop on the 26th, got to keep the grey matter functioning some how and its a good excuse to reach for the bottle of red wine, cheers!

Why the rush - consider :-

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

I started with a Tandy TRS 80

> Click

> Click

> Click

> BANG!

I have every version of windows from windows 3. 1 onwards and have always upgraded early on it the OS life, however I tried the windows 8 beta in the late summer ( the release candidate) and got rid of it poste haste, the interface as changed sooooo much and whilst it may be good with a touch screen it just did not work for me with a standard desktop. I shall be sticking with windows 7 64bit.

48K - what a laugh!

I love my ZX81,

"Machine code rules OK" or should it be written

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember!

Used to use DOS and BASIC back in the distant past. Even had an original Apple computer and believe it or not a BBC Acorn!!!! That was long before the advent of hard disks. Had 10" floppies.

Have to say Windows 7 is well worth the effort and doesn't have too many problems.

I used to play for hours on the Sheffield Uni Tandberg, a big orange monstrosity of a terminal.

Can anyone remember the 64k Commodores, you used to have to wait an hour for the cassette tape to load up the programme and then find at the last turn of the reel you got a load fail message.

I used to play for hours on the Sheffield Uni Tandberg, a big orange monstrosity of a terminal.

Can anyone remember the 64k Commodores, you used to have to wait an hour for the cassette tape to load up the programme and then find at the last turn of the reel you got a load fail message.

Oh yes, my son had one, he had an olympics game that involved waggling a huge joystick to make the runners go along the track, we broke more joysticks!! He now designs sytems for IBM !!

Phil.

I love my ZX81,

"Machine code rules OK" or should it be written

I still have my copy of Zacs - Programming the Z80 somewhere

Remember them? I used to assemble them! All the electronic parts came in from the far east, the cases from Telford, the manuals from Corby, the packaging from Dudly and assembled and boxed in Perth, and the last thing we did was put a sticker on the back that said 'Made in England'

Guest jks

Remember them? I used to assemble them! All the electronic parts came in from the far east, the cases from Telford, the manuals from Corby, the packaging from Dudly and assembled and boxed in Perth, and the last thing we did was put a sticker on the back that said 'Made in England'

:goodpost:

Dragon 32 here - made in Wales I think.