Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.pngOur supporter Prima Leisure has Caravan Parts/Accessories for Bailey and all other makes of caravan and motorhome. Take a look at their massive range of products.

Well worth a visit!

Hi

I just joined Caravan talk,we are new this year to caravans. So far so good.

We have an Ace Award Dawnstar which we are very happy with but just found two of the front windows delaminated almost completely.

Ive been looking at the adhesives available to make the rebonding between inner and outer skins. We have completely discounted the thought of replacing them for about £200 and £300 respectively.

What advice have members got for this one please. I have come to understand that this is now quite an issue with many Vans and motorhomes. One website I have seen says they have heard of over 3000 cases of this with various makes of Van and motorhome.

There is the issue of screenprinted borders on the mating face of the windows where the bond has failed and Ideally any re-bonding needs to keep this looking good, My Ace has this border to all its windows.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Best Regards

Mike

Some one on here has done this repair recently. I am sure you will receive some knowledgeable input,

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Thanks to 5 star,3 star and one star, Who are you guys??.

I have been to bonrite and bought the WC112 ready to use,they are not far from me. I made the posting yesterday because I really wanted to get some reassurance that this was OK to do and with no adverse long term effects to the van windows.

I understand the problem has been around for a couple of years now, and hoped to hear from someone who did this job at least a year ago.

The people at Bondrite are great and very helpful, but of course it's not their responsibility in the end. I'm pretty sure this will be ok anyway, but you know, theres always someone with a "for gods sake dont do that" lurking about!!

If this works, I am well set up to these for you guys too------ for a small charge for my bravery and ingenuity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

I have recently successfully repaired a delaminated window on my caravan and I have put a full account on this website:

http://www. 1carpc. co. uk/wcdr/window-delamination-repair. htm

A couple of comments on your plans:

(1) I used acrylic adhesive rather than acrylic weld cement as I had heard that the latter could cause damage to screen printed pattern on the edge of my window

(2) Although I used the Bondrite product I discovered after I had ordered that the the alternative from Tradeweld would have probably been much cheaper

If I can help with further advice please post again or PM me.

Best wishes for a successful repair.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

THank you Tim

Tomorrow is the day for doing the job I will go through your account again. Actually I had already found it,I was really just trying to see if anyone else had had a go too.

Anyway fingers crossed for tomorrow and it is not too cold a day for all that ventilation. !!!

Thanks again

Mike

THank you Tim

Tomorrow is the day for doing the job I will go through your account again. Actually I had already found it,I was really just trying to see if anyone else had had a go too.

Anyway fingers crossed for tomorrow and it is not too cold a day for all that ventilation. !!!

Thanks again

Mike

All the best for your repair Mike. I'm sure you will get okay as it is not really difficult -it just needs a little care and attention.

We had our first outing yesterday with the repaired window. We have travelled c75 miles up the M6 and I'm typing this on the laptop at the CC's Meathop Fell site near Grange-over-Sands. So far so good as far as the window is concerned.

Regards

Tim

• 2 months later...

Thanks to 5 star,3 star and one star, Who are you guys??.

I have been to bonrite and bought the WC112 ready to use,they are not far from me. I made the posting yesterday because I really wanted to get some reassurance that this was OK to do and with no adverse long term effects to the van windows.

I understand the problem has been around for a couple of years now, and hoped to hear from someone who did this job at least a year ago.

The people at Bondrite are great and very helpful, but of course it's not their responsibility in the end. I'm pretty sure this will be ok anyway, but you know, theres always someone with a "for gods sake dont do that" lurking about!!

If this works, I am well set up to these for you guys too------ for a small charge for my bravery and ingenuity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Mike

I was the one several years ago now, who started off the subject of repairing acrylic windows. My problem was a crack in the outer panel of a double glazed window, very close to the hinge. I sought advice from various sources and eventually settled on Bondrite and asked their advice. They suggested, with no gaps to fill, that their WC102 was the best solution to try and offered me a sample size and applicator which was not at that time listed on their website, they offered no guarantees as to the outcome as no one had attempted such a repair before. They now, probably as a result of my efforts in the forum, offer the sample size officially on their website.

WC102 is a very thin liquid similar to superglue and able to be drawn in to narrow gaps, weld the edges together then rapidely harden and dry. A matter of seconds to minutes, because it is thin and creeps, it needs to be used very sparingly and because it is fast, the edges need to be all prealigned plus held firmly.

I left it undisturbed for 4 hours after glueing, but I would suggest an hour would have been more than enough. As I remember - unlike superglue it didn't stick to skin, but if you touch where you are welding it, you can leave finger marks where the acrylic becomes softened. I could have made it even less visible with a bit of polishing.

Someone many months ago asked if the WC102 might be any good for repairing delamination - sorry I overlooked your PM. I would suggest the thin WC102 is probably better than the thicker solution they offer with the ability to fill gaps. You are not trying to fill gaps, only refix surfaces which were once already glued - just clamp the two surfaces together and trickle the WC102 along the join to be drawn in by capillary action. The thicker solution would probably need to be 'painted' onto the two inner surfaces, rather than being able to draw itself into the joint.

Just to repeat. ..

How invisible the repair is, depends upon your getting the crack fully closed up before you start glueing and putting just enough WC102 on the crack for it to be drawn straight in. Any overflow will mar the appearance either side of the joint, You can level and polish up the outside of the panel, but their is nothing you can do about any over spill on the inside.

My repair, because it was close to the edge was only visible if it was pointed out to you and the repair is still good years later, despite being in a high stress area. Bondrite now offer for sale the sample size they supplied me with, especially for those repairing caravan windows, but suggest the sample is only good to keep for 14 days. My sample seemed to last about that time until it all evaporated.

I now have another caravan which has a cracked window, which at least as a temporary solution I intend to repair. Rather than buy the sample size, I have just ordered their 250ml size which costs not much more (£19 delivered) and includes an application syringe. A syringe might make the application of the solution a bit more controlled - the control is important in avoiding the solution running around the repair area and beyond. They also don't make many mention on how long the 250ml size is able to be stored, so might be a better bet long term.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

• 1 year later...

Just joined the website. I am having same problem with delamination of window. Have made a repair some months ago but my husband decided to use silicone sealant. It did the job but now the window has misted up. Hopefully we will be able to separate again and use the bond suggested in the recent posts. Will let you know.

This is not a difficult or expensive repair.

Go to your local GOOD model shop and buy some PLASTIC WELD.

You will also need an artists paint brush a number 3 "rigger" is ideal. It has hairs about 1 " long

Get the window is as horizontal position as possible and working about 1 inch at a time

feed the solvent along the adjacent edges. It will be drawn in by capillary action

Clamp firmly for 5 minutes or so and the job is done. Do no more than 3 to 4 inches at a time

But be VERY CAREFUL not to spill the solvent on any plastic surfaces as it will make rather a mess of them

Total cost less than £7-50

Nick

I was the one several years ago now, who started off the subject of repairing acrylic windows. My problem was a crack in the outer panel of a double glazed window, very close to the hinge. I sought advice from various sources and eventually settled on Bondrite and asked their advice. They suggested, with no gaps to fill, that their WC102 was the best solution to try and offered me a sample size and applicator which was not at that time listed on their website, they offered no guarantees as to the outcome as no one had attempted such a repair before. They now, probably as a result of my efforts in the forum, offer the sample size officially on their website.

Unfortunately, the 50ml size which is only £5. 45 +VAT carries a £6 postage charge! I was about to buy it until I saw that the postage was more than the product.

Anywhere I can buy this over the counter?

Tony

• 2 months later...

Two of the front windows on our Swift Challenger came apart this summer. I knew they were acrylic and that acrylic glues usually contain acetone or MEK. So I looked for a tube of glue which smelt of acetonish (it was a general purpose cement and cost less than a pound) and tried it on a couple of corners. It worked. I secured the panes together with some adhesive tape for the journey home and then did a proper job, glueing them all round with Evostic PVC pipe adhesive and clamping with small spring clamps around the edges. So far as I can see the panes are very securely glued together and the join is almost as neat as the original.

• 3 years later...

I bought a two part pack of UNIBOND REPAIR PLASTIC EPOXY GLUE 25ML, so easy to mix and apply.

This adhesive gives about 3 to 5 minutes to apply and clamp before it sets.

The result on my van was first class, will always carry a pack with me.

Cost at B&Q  £5. 92 at the moment reduced from £6. 98.

• 1 year later...

what did you use and how did you get on having the same problem on the front side window has delaminated  all the way down the front edge gong to have ago at repairing it in the next week or so 

the caravan is a elddis chatsworth   515