I have fitted my alko shockers today and tried to do it like the video but if I fasten the bottom bolt to the clamps with the spacer facing the clamps it pushes the shocker tight against the chassis. Has anyone else had this problem. I have sent an email to Alko to see if they can help :unsure:

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

Have you got the clamps on the correct side? From my memory they are handed for each side of the caravan. Try swopping the clamps from one side to the other.

Brian

I am sure the clamps are the same but I will have a look when I go back to the van.

The more I learn the more I know,the more I know the more I forget,the more I forget the less I know :blink:

I am sure the clamps are the same but I will have a look when I go back to the van.

I think there is a slight difference in angulation where the brackets click into the swing arm. It is only slight so you may not have noticed it. One way the bracket pairs will lean towards the chassis (which I think is probably the way you have it) and the other way the pairs will lean slightly out. So if you swap them over, side to side, they will go from leaning in to leaning out. This should give you the clearance needed.

Brian

The brackets have an arrow stamped into them indicating which way they should fit.

The arrow just indicates the front of the brackets so you can still fit them on the wrong sides.

Brian

Thanks for that you would think alko would say on the video that the brackets are made for each side.

Does not mention a thing about it even in the fitting instructions just to make sure the arrow points to the front

you would think alko would say on the video that the brackets are made for each side.

They are not. In the kit you have two pairs of plates. Make sure that on each pair the top edge points outwards, and that on all four plates, the arrows point to the front of the van.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

They are not. In the kit you have two pairs of plates. Make sure that on each pair the top edge points outwards, and that on all four plates, the arrows point to the front of the van.

Thats how I have fitted them but the spacer wont fit facing the brackets

Hi John. Yes seen it and thats excactly how I fitted mine but the bottom spacer would not face the clamps as it make the shockers tight against the chassis

Can you post a picture of your setup as it is now?

They are fitted the same as instuction except for the bottom spacer facing inwards even then the shocker are close to the chassis. Sorry no pics

I fitted the Alko shocks about a month ago, The only thing I can remember that was not as instructions was the way they had assembled the bottom bolt and spacer,I had to remove and refit. Managed to take a couple of photos this morning for you to compare to yours. I am afraid the quality of the photos is a bit poor but I was hanging upside down in the fog :)

Alko shock bottom

Alko Shock Top

Hope this helps in some way.

Regards Dave

Dave & Annette .

07 Kia Sorento 2. 5 CRDi XE --- 2012 Lunar Clubman CK

I fitted the Alko shocks about a month ago, The only thing I can remember that was not as instructions was the way they had assembled the bottom bolt and spacer,I had to remove and refit. Managed to take a couple of photos this morning for you to compare to yours. I am afraid the quality of the photos is a bit poor but I was hanging upside down in the fog :)

Hope this helps in some way.

Regards Dave

Mine are the same except fot the bottom with the spacer to the back and my shockers have a lot less gap than yours

Finaly spoke to alko and they dont know why I have not been able to fit the shockers as instructions as they have never come across this problem before. They have said as long as the bottom bolt is clear of the chassis then I will be OK. I must admit I find it very strange :(

Finaly spoke to alko and they dont know why I have not been able to fit the shockers

I can understand that. Without seeing your setup, it's difficult to make suggestions. Which is why I asked if you could take a picture. However, are your brackets square to the suspension arms? Also if I remember correctly the four bolt spacers are not all the same width. Have you got the narrower ones on the bottom bolts?

Hi John. Might be going down to the van tomorrow if so will try and take a picture. Its really bugging me now :blink:

Rang alko again about my shockers and I was told that some chassis had the wheel hubs slightly closer on them and that could be the problem with mine. I have taken them of to modify them,Alko offered my money back but I said I think I can get them to fit. I lifted the front of the van on the jockey wheel put legs down and it was easy to take them off. Will replace the same way wish I had thought of that the first time. I ground a wedge shape out of the clamps to give the bottom of the shockers space to move up or down as I cant fit the spacer facing the clamps. Sorry not been able to put some pics on

post-43491-0-64927800-1351529311_thumb.jpgWell fitted the shocker back on today without taking wheels of why did I not think of that the first time. I have altered the brackets so the shocker will be able to pivot up and down without catching. The distance from my chassis to the hole were the clamps go is 2 inch has anyone else measured theirs. Going to try and put this photo on. Here goes Edited by thomasoes

Your suspension arms appear to be unusually close to the chassis. As you no doubt know, the spacer should be on the other side of the lower mounting bolt, but obviously that wouldn't work. Providing the suspension arms have a full range of movement without the shockers touching either arms or chassis, your modification should be OK. Congrats on the piccy. :huh:

Thanks John as the brackets will have a pendelum movement on them I ground a v shape on the bottom so the shockers wont hit the brackets so I think it will be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John sorry not answered before now been really busy. It is a Lunar Solar 460 se