Jump to content

Stopping The Brake Coming On


gooney1971
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is there anyway of stopping my caravan brake coming on? My drive is on a slight slope, and when I reverse my caravan brakes come on. When I stop and look the rubber thingy is pushed very tight from the weight of my van. I've looked all round to see if there is a button to stop this, I've heard some vans have this button to stop the valve going in. .... Many thanks if any ideas :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whilst the rubber bellows may be compressed the "auto reverse" mechanism within the brake hubs should release the brakes as the wheel rotates backwards. Is something not adjusted correctly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The braking system is not properly adjusted and needs servicing.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rubber bellows should compress when reversing. This is normal. When you say the brakes are coming on, is the handbrake lifting up at the same time or does it stay horizontal?

If it is lifting up it could be caused by the handbrake fouling part of the hitch causing it to operate. Some people have reported this problem. The solution is to gently bend the lever out of the way.

Brian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You don't say how old your caravan is

They used to have reversing collar or clip lever

According to signature info - 2003
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many thanks for your posts, I'm getting my van serviced at the end of this month. I wasn't sure if the brakes where coming on or not. I must admit I was backing onto gravel, now that I've moved the stone it is much easyer to back onto my drive. I have no trouble reversing when I'm on site, it's was just when I come home. Perhaps I should think about storage, but I do like to have my van at home. ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many thanks for your posts, I'm getting my van serviced at the end of this month. I wasn't sure if the brakes where coming on or not. I must admit I was backing onto gravel, now that I've moved the stone it is much easyer to back onto my drive. I have no trouble reversing when I'm on site, it's was just when I come home. Perhaps I should think about storage, but I do like to have my van at home. ...

Storage £300 per year (guessing) - New motormover fitted around £800 with 5 year guarantee and about £125 to transfer to next van. For me no contest as I can't tow my van in due to roadwidth. Edited by Easy T
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks

Couldn't see that for looking :rolleyes:

Often happens to me. I put it down to age!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think I'll invest in a motormover, sounds the best option. Thanks peeps. ... ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rubber bellows should compress when reversing. This is normal. When you say the brakes are coming on, is the handbrake lifting up at the same time or does it stay horizontal?

If it is lifting up it could be caused by the handbrake fouling part of the hitch causing it to operate. Some people have reported this problem. The solution is to gently bend the lever out of the way.

Brian

 

A few years ago on the present van I had the breakaway cable get trapped between the A frame chassis parts underneath the tow hitch that was applying the handbrake everytime I hit a bump . I check now everytime I hitch its free .

 

 

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there anyway of stopping my caravan brake coming on? My drive is on a slight slope, and when I reverse my caravan brakes come on. When I stop and look the rubber thingy is pushed very tight from the weight of my van. I've looked all round to see if there is a button to stop this, I've heard some vans have this button to stop the valve going in. .... Many thanks if any ideas :)

 

I had the same problem, nose downhill then trying to reverse into the drive. Put chokes in front of the caravan tyres then let the car roll forward to release the brake. You'll then (should) be able to reverse without the van brakes coming on.

The problem was cured with a motor mover and now I nose the caravan into the drive. ...makes it a little less easy for the thieves too.

Edited by bigbawmcgraw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 years later...
On 12/10/2012 at 06:23, gooney1971 said:

Think I'll invest in a motormover, sounds the best option. Thanks peeps. ... ;)

cool if you have couple grand doing nothing    or for 1 pound just get a thick lump of flat steel and make a clip   to stop the piston going in   old school it,s what it used to be , mine works great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2012 at 13:58, bigbawmcgraw said:

 

I had the same problem, nose downhill then trying to reverse into the drive. Put chokes in front of the caravan tyres then let the car roll forward to release the brake. You'll then (should) be able to reverse without the van brakes coming on.

The problem was cured with a motor mover and now I nose the caravan into the drive. ...makes it a little less easy for the thieves too.

this is awesome for motor mover sales  really expensive solution  old days was just a steel clip   i made one  for 1 pound and 3 shillings

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, alf crunchbucket said:

cool if you have couple grand doing nothing    or for 1 pound just get a thick lump of flat steel and make a clip   to stop the piston going in   old school it,s what it used to be , mine works great.

 

 

That's why modern caravans have a Auto reverse mechanism to release the brakes on reversing so they are not applied and you don't need to get out the vehicle and use a lump of steel .

 

I think the use of jamming the Piston is now illegal so you don't forget to remove it and have no braking .

 

 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

 

 

That's why modern caravans have a Auto reverse mechanism to release the brakes on reversing so they are not applied and you don't need to get out the vehicle and use a lump of steel .

 

I think the use of jamming the Piston is now illegal so you don't forget to remove it and have no braking .

 

 

Dave

this is awesome if you dont have a huge bank account   i dont like modern anything  it,s all about money   also there is no reason why a vehicle needs a computer to move pistons up and down  my cortina does not have one and runs great  and still looks really good  dont buy it   build it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi.alf crunchbucket here   been living in my caravan for 12 years  avondale leda twin axle   took out most of interior,all wiring,pipes,pumps,lights,and anything that had caravan written on it rewired everything to my specs using mini toggles and relays can do any current with relays including 3 kw kettle got a washing machine from argos and took out the concrete  dont need it as i have a small spin dryer  less weight the better  got 3 leisure batterys up front under bed that always stays as a bed and inverter  even with 3 batts i can only still get 15 hours juice   myth busted   got satellite  internet  wifi amps for great signal  turned the wardrobe into static drier with computer fans and heater   gym mats are good for underneath carpet tiles nice to walk on keeps in the heat  looking for white mats now for roof   got loads of digital read outs for systems on amazon made in china so cheap   5 bucks each  does amps volts time temp   computer is under seat so only monitor visible  tried to build everything in to existing cupboards for space   so all good  still alive and comfy after 12 years of winters    anyone else live in their shed  sorry caravan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, alf crunchbucket said:

hi.alf crunchbucket here   been living in my caravan for 12 years  avondale leda twin axle   took out most of interior,all wiring,pipes,pumps,lights,and anything that had caravan written on it rewired everything to my specs using mini toggles and relays can do any current with relays including 3 kw kettle got a washing machine from argos and took out the concrete  dont need it as i have a small spin dryer  less weight the better  got 3 leisure batterys up front under bed that always stays as a bed and inverter  even with 3 batts i can only still get 15 hours juice   myth busted   got satellite  internet  wifi amps for great signal  turned the wardrobe into static drier with computer fans and heater   gym mats are good for underneath carpet tiles nice to walk on keeps in the heat  looking for white mats now for roof   got loads of digital read outs for systems on amazon made in china so cheap   5 bucks each  does amps volts time temp   computer is under seat so only monitor visible  tried to build everything in to existing cupboards for space   so all good  still alive and comfy after 12 years of winters    anyone else live in their shed  sorry caravan

 

Hi Alf.

 

Just wondering, do you have Norse or Scandinavian genes in your ancestry, and did your ancestors  live in caves or mountainous regions ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...