Sign in to follow this  
sampvt

Caravan Bounce

My wife is not a large lady, she is a standard size 12 but when she walks round our van, I feel like I am in a bouncy castle. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to stop this constant bounce factor. Ive thought about deploying bottle jacks but dont know where, any ideas out there.

Have you wound the steadies down with just a slight pressure on them

Guest jks

Don't wind your steadies too far down. Put some wood under them to lift them and this will solve the problem.

The more they are extended the more they will wobble. Agree, only slight pressure is required.

Edited by jks

I have exactly the same problem, I've tried the steadies at numerous angles supported by wood blocks, and with varying amounts of wind down pressure, and I cant stop the bounce either. I too would welcome any suggestions

I have done the same with my steadies. Ive had them fully extended and just a little propped up with blocks and the same thing happens. A fellow vanner suggested jacks under the frame by the wheels to take pressure off the springs but that sounds like a getunder and get dirty kind of solution.

Well you will have to drink more wine then you will not notice the bounce either that or sit still

Well you will have to drink more wine then you will not notice the bounce either that or sit still

The best advice ever, thats what we do lol

Go on a Flotilla Holiday, your caravan will seem as steady as a rock after that. :D

My wife is not a large lady, she is a standard size 12 but when she walks round our van, I feel like I am in a bouncy castle. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to stop this constant bounce factor. Ive thought about deploying bottle jacks but dont know where, any ideas out there.

Hope your wife does'nt read you post,

But seriously wind the steadies down, put some wood underneath them, and put a little bit more pressure on them. This should help

Does it bounce as much when you move around?

Serious question.

My wife is also relatively small and not at all heavy, but she is an extremely heavy walker. No idea how she does it, but even at home, you can tell exactly where she is upstairs, from her footsteps.

When she walks the length of the caravan it all moves and the curtains swing slightly, when I walk the length of the caravan there's barely a hint of movement, yet I'm at least 4 stones heavier than she is.

Is it that some people will just never be light footed?

Perhaps your wife is also a heavy walker?

Edited by Livi

How old is the van? - Maybe the floor is de-laminated ?

It would sag rather than bounce if it was delaminated.

Hi,

I wind down the steadies down with a drill, then using the winding handle using one hand I tension them until the handle can't be turned any further without great effort. That works for me though they do need a further tweak after the van has settled especially on soft ground,

regards,

Ian.

Does it bounce as much when you move around?

Serious question.

My wife is also relatively small and not at all heavy, but she is an extremely heavy walker. No idea how she does it, but even at home, you can tell exactly where she is upstairs, from her footsteps.

When she walks the length of the caravan it all moves and the curtains swing slightly, when I walk the length of the caravan there's barely a hint of movement, yet I'm at least 4 stones heavier than she is.

Is it that some people will just never be light footed?

Perhaps your wife is also a heavy walker?

You make a very valid point. Some people are "heavy walkers" irrespective of weight.

This is very noticeable in boats when stepping in and walking about,

Bob

Nowt for it but to change the wife for a light footed one :)

Now there is a great suggestion, sadly it wouldnt work. I met her at 14, got engaged at 19, married at 21 and we are in our 60,s now. Cant get rid of her as it would take me 7 years to train a new one so I am better of keeping the old girl, she puts up with me and aint all that bad anyway,

apart from the odd nag and her inability to understand what sport on tv does for a mans intelect.

Now there is a great suggestion, sadly it wouldnt work. I met her at 14, got engaged at 19, married at 21 and we are in our 60,s now. Cant get rid of her as it would take me 7 years to train a new one so I am better of keeping the old girl, she puts up with me and aint all that bad anyway,

apart from the odd nag and her inability to understand what sport on tv does for a mans intelect.

Bumma back to the drawing board

A change of wife could make the bounce worse, well at least in the beginning. ;)

My OH is just the same. Is it a wimmin thing ???

Funny, my wife also walks around with all the delicacy of a fairy elephant! You can tell exactly where she is when upstairs from her stomping, I on the other hand prefer to walk with the ball of my foot touching down on the floor first and absorbing my weight as it lands on the floor rather than stomping down on my heals- is it possible that it a problem induced by heeled shoes?

I have been told that women tend to spend so much time in high heels that when they get on flats like slippers, they tend to lead with their heels which is the primary cause of the thud and hence the bounce. I guess its a noise and tremble I will have to get used to. Thanks for all your replies especially the one about changing her, I got a titter from that and she thought it was a good idea as well. lol.

I have exactly the same problem, I've tried the steadies at numerous angles supported by wood blocks, and with varying amounts of wind down pressure, and I cant stop the bounce either. I too would welcome any suggestions

i have the same prolem :unsure:

After a divorce settlement you wont be able to afford a caravan ? . .......... as said better to keep the one you got . ;)

Dave

Make sure you haven't taken the weight of the front away from the jockey wheel by winding the steadies too much.

The extra support will tend to reduce any natural flexing of the floor as it is walked over.

Sign in to follow this