Sign in to follow this  
jonbev

Camera V Camcorder

ok, i have a reasonable point and shoot sony cybershot which takes ok quality pictures but lousy video . ive got into a new hobby, filming aircraft, mainly airliners at manchester and the cybershot just doesnt get decent video. now would a decent 12 -16mp camera be likely to shoot a good video, optical zoom massively important as is the compatibility to use a tripod, but i can expect to pay upwards of £300 for one.

or, go camcorder with 30+ optical zoom, hdmi connectivity etc but be stuck with 2. 0 mp still photos and probably zero flash facility unless i spend lots. seen some reasonable ones for around £200-£250

seems to be a big compromise unless you have loads of money to throw at it.

any advice or experience of using a camcorder you could give me would be great.

Have you considered one of these?

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Fujifilm-FinePix-HS30EXR-EXR-CMOS-Tiltable/dp/product-description/B006Q8VA2W/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=560834&s=photo

I have the HS10, and am very happy with both the photo's and the video from it

Rick

Have you considered one of these?

http://www. amazon. co. ..=560834&s=photo

I have the HS10, and am very happy with both the photo's and the video from it

Rick

looks good, quite an impressive spec and appears to do all i want. will put it on the shortlist.

thanks for the link :D

Guest Benzowner

Obvious question, how large do you print the photos? 2mp is adequate for a 6x4 or even an 8 x 4 if its bigger, then you will need a rather more expensive camera as above. I have the Fuji 24L but have yet to try the camcorder, its quite fast for stills. Someone with more knowledge, I am sure will be on to help.

Obvious question, how large do you print the photos? 2mp is adequate for a 6x4 or even an 8 x 4

Whilst this is a very true and valid statement, you also need to take into account that if you crop photo's before printing, then the resolution is effectively reduced. Yes 6x4 or 8x4 if you're just printing the whole of the shot, however if the OP is shooting planes, then I would suspect that they may wish to cut out some areas of the background to give more emphasis on the subject. In this case, 2mp (IMHO) will be woefully inadequate. Personally I wouldnt look at anything under 10mp unless you're just printing what you're shooting with no adjustments etc

Hi jonbev.

Recently bought my wife a Lumix 14. 1Mp compact which was about £270 and I must say from portability and the quality of photos has made our DSLR redundant.

It also has an HD 1080p video function and although clarity is very good, when downloaded to her computer, the clips are slightly jerky.

I too am interested in commercial airliners and a while back used an SVHS video camcorder for videoing aircraft and images from that system is what I would measure by now.

If I were to get back into videoing aircraft I would not be satisfied with the results I have seen from her still camera and would go out and get me a reasonable digital video for the job.

Just depends on your budget and quality expectations.

Guest jks

looks good, quite an impressive spec and appears to do all i want. will put it on the shortlist.

thanks for the link :D

I have the HS30 and it is the best camera I have ever had. Brilliant clear pictures and excellent video. Is as easy and complicated as you want it to be. Also has excellent focus and zoom.

Hi jonbev.

Recently bought my wife a Lumix 14. 1Mp compact which was about £270 and I must say from portability and the quality of photos has made our DSLR redundant.

It also has an HD 1080p video function and although clarity is very good, when downloaded to her computer, the clips are slightly jerky.

I too am interested in commercial airliners and a while back used an SVHS video camcorder for videoing aircraft and images from that system is what I would measure by now.

If I were to get back into videoing aircraft I would not be satisfied with the results I have seen from her still camera and would go out and get me a reasonable digital video for the job.

Just depends on your budget and quality expectations.

thanks for your input . quality is everything, if its jerky its no good to me and i need quality distant focus too. i notice the good camcorders have anti shake / stability programmes built in. Do you get the same on a still camera ??

im looking at £300 max, cant really justify spending more than that ( or rather the wife cant )

i would require a tripod too and depending on quality of standard playback sound possibly an external mic attachment.

stability programmes built in. .....Do you get the same on a still camera ??......

Hi jonbev.

Yes my wife's Lumix which apparently has a Leica lens, has Image Stabilisation or 'Anti Shake'.

Magazine tests say it is good and to date have seen no pictures other than pin sharp examples, in fact her photo's when blown up on her computer appear much sharper than those from my expensive DSLR.

As with yourself, quality is paramount with me and with wanting to pick out detail on aircraft which are not usually that close when you photograph them, high resolution and sharpness will be all important.

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Panasonic-Lumix-TZ18-Digital-Camera/dp/tech-data/B004I1KOM6/ref=de_a_smtd

It's a cracker. ...........

I bought a Leica Version and this is well priced with almost the same specification. :(

http://www. amazon. co. ..6/ref=de_a_smtd

It's a cracker. ...........

I bought a Leica Version and this is well priced with almost the same specification. :(

Got a couple of pairs of Leica binoculars so looked at the Leica compact but price was a killer compared to the Lumix TX27and besises which it was only for my wife to cart around in her handbag . :P

My hobby is Video and editing which I have done for the last 30 yrs . While a decent Video camera will produce a good video the zoom lens will let it down for the type of videos you want to make . A stills camera that can take a 1080 video will give a much better video due to the lens used .

A decent stills camera is as good as a £30k professional movie making camera . Some block busters on the large screens are filmed using a simple stills cameras today .

Its worth buying one of the mid price editing suites to get good results and you need a fast computer to handle the data speeds . Minimum a dual processor and a 1mb video card . I have used a quad processor for a few years and it does a good job .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Her recently bought a 14,1 MP from Aldi.

A bigger piece of dog poop she has yet to buy.

Gra.

Her recently bought a 14,1 MP from Aldi.

A bigger piece of dog poop she has yet to buy.

Gra.

The problem with buying cameras from places like this, is that people are blinded by the fact that they are advertising an allegedly 14mp camera at a cheap price. In reality though, the chances are that the sensor is low quality, and in some cases, if you read the small print, the 14mp is actually interpolated, so in reality they are probably only 5 or 6 mp.

Only ever got caught like this once with an allegedly 10mp underwater camera quite a few years ago, I would have got better results with an etch a sketch.

I only ever buy good brand cameras now, its worth paying a bit more for the quality

got a shortlist of 6 to add to the earlier recommendations on here, your thoughts appreciated. it may alter. need to see reviews and the gear in the flesh but any 1 from those 6 looks likely at the moment . ideally will wait until new year and hope to shave the price down or get a tripod etc thrown in as part of the deal ;)

samsung WB100 16MP £130

fuji finepix s4300 14mp £150

fuji finepix sl300 14mp £229

nikon p510 16mp £320

panasonic dmc -lz20 16. 1 mp £150

nikon l810 16mp £250

I have the Nikon P510 and it takes good stills and 1080p video there are 2 methods of zoom operation the normal fast mode below the shutter version and a slow zoom for video on the lens, there is video stabilisation on the video setting however if you leave it off you can take a still shot while taking video.

I have a Canon Powershot SX30is. Very pleased with the results especially the video i've taken with it. The camera is compact compared to the SLRs I used to have and no extra lens to carry around. 35x optical zoom and 14mp.

On a recent trip to Namibia found excellent for shots of animals. The biggest problem I have with it is when it is it is slow if you want to take muliple shots in quick succesion. However there is a new version out which I believe has gone someway to get over this problem.

My hobby is Video and editing which I have done for the last 30 yrs . While a decent Video camera will produce a good video the zoom lens will let it down for the type of videos you want to make . A stills camera that can take a 1080 video will give a much better video due to the lens used .

A decent stills camera is as good as a £30k professional movie making camera . Some block busters on the large screens are filmed using a simple stills cameras today .

Its worth buying one of the mid price editing suites to get good results and you need a fast computer to handle the data speeds . Minimum a dual processor and a 1mb video card . I have used a quad processor for a few years and it does a good job .

Dave

That's all true. I used to use still lenses on my 16mm film cameras waaaay back when.

But many of the current still cameras (especially the dslrs) with video capability are ergonomically flawed. ..they just don't handle well in the hand. Most pro users HAVE to use supports or steady units to counter this clumsiness and capitalise on the lens IQ.

Also on the subject of mp. .. More pixels don't mean better quality. In fact the bigger the pixels the better the resolution. So cramming more pixels onto the same size sensor inevitably means smaller pixels.

settling on the Nikon coolpix 510, just waiting for the sales to start . Jessops is the cheapest so far and can haggle for other kit thrown in or reduced.

settling on the Nikon coolpix 510, just waiting for the sales to start . Jessops is the cheapest so far and can haggle for other kit thrown in or reduced.

I must say Im always wary now buying from Jessops . They are shutting shops everywhere and the shops still open have empty windows . They have record of debt to the banks for millions .

IMO I would recommend buying on a card so if the item goes wrong under warranty and they disappeared you have some comeback .

Dave

The most important thing with a camera is and has always been the lens. A smaller megapixal camera with a quality glass lens will always take better pictures than a large megapixal camera with a plastic lens. Always go for a top quality lens above megapixal size.

after reading a zillion reviews. ....none the wiser. many folk say the 510 aint up to scratch in video mode, tricky to focus and plenty of whirring interference on sound from the zoom operating. no good to me im afraid although as a stand alone camera sounds excellent. it HAS to do both to a good standard, so back to the drawing board :(

ok, canon sx40 hs, lumix fz150 or sony dsc-hx200 ? narrowed it done to those 3 . ..all with pros and cons :rolleyes:

the lumix gets the best reviews, good at video but has no panorama shoot, is "only" 24x zoom and is pricey at £350 approx

canon on offer at jessops at £229 right now, but, no panorama mode, good video 1080p but at only 24f/s but not as good as lumix but has an ace 35x zoom. reckon going via amazon to get extras like tripod, extra battery,carry bag etc i can get all i need for under £300

sony is 18mp, 30 x zoom has all the extras like panorama and 3d but reviwers say its too complicated and the instructions are downloadable or on the website or basic ones on a menu on the camera. also at roughly same money as the lumix.

changed my mind countless times today and now considering waiting to see what the sales bring or if anything new comes out early 2013 that combines a 30x zoom + all the other features i want, like an instruction book for instance !!!

help !!!!!!!

Edited by jonbev

I have a Canon SX40 and have been very pleased with it. The zoom lens is fantastic and was excellent for taking wildlife on a recent trip to Namibia. The downside, it's a bit slow between exposures. Canon have recently brought out a new model which has a more powerful zoom and will take up to 13 exposures a second, way more than the SX40.

The SX40 is a tough little camera it survived rolling down a sand dune in Namibia and a couple of months ago, bouncing across a pavement in Times Square.

Sign in to follow this