Sign in to follow this  
TimDev

Electric Underfloor Heating - Diy

Hi everyone,

We've just published Superpete's great guide on how to lay your own electric underfloor heating:

Electric underfloor heating - DIY

Worth a read for those DIY fans out there who fancy warm feet (and caravans) this winter! :)

Best DIY project I have done on my caravan .

Dave

Definitely worth having, I didn't do it myself it came as standard. My Greyhound loves it.

I have installed the same but only in the lounge area.  The Alde heating works very well so mine is there only to take the chill of the floor and for that it is fantastic, in fact too good, at only 80 Watts it gets uncomfortably hot after a while but I cured that which a rheostat (see https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Plug-in-Dimmer-Switch-Adjustable-Control-for-your-Light-Lamp-13A-Socket/232339556065?epid=2180404765&hash=item36188446e1:g:jIQAAOSwr7ZW5vA7 )  This give infinite control.

The mention of the Earth net is interesting.  I did not fit one as there was no call in the fitting instructions.  Would like more details of that as the link brushes over that part.

John.  

For our Lunar we bought from Rug Buddy.   Simple to lay down and kept the caravan warm.   See Rugbuddy.

On 22/02/2018 at 09:59, CommanderDave said:

Best DIY project I have done on my caravan .

Dave

I second that! We have had it for a few years now. Wouldn't be without it.

can I ask about risk of damage to the underfloor heating from walking on the carpet? Do you wear shoes or slippers when walking on the carpet over the heating?

Our lounge area is cold on the feet

macafee2

When I have installed this ufh in bathrooms it states it must be screeded over with self leveling compound to protect the mat and to stop it over heating and breaking the circuit. It is 240 v after all.   Wouldn't want the dogs claws to go through and get electrocuted.

11 minutes ago, yellkell said:

When I have installed this ufh in bathrooms it states it must be screeded over with self leveling compound to protect the mat and to stop it over heating and breaking the circuit. It is 240 v after all.   Wouldn't want the dogs claws to go through and get electrocuted.

Look at the link on my previous post, the RugBuddy is not the same as the built in type, Also it says that it is not approved for bathrooms.

The RugBuddy web site is much improved from when I bought mine but the prices look the same as 3 years ago.  They now recommend using an RCD.  I didn’t, but then the whole van is covered by the consumer unit.

John

5 hours ago, JCloughie said:

Look at the link on my previous post, the RugBuddy is not the same as the built in type, Also it says that it is not approved for bathrooms.

The RugBuddy web site is much improved from when I bought mine but the prices look the same as 3 years ago.  They now recommend using an RCD.  I didn’t, but then the whole van is covered by the consumer unit.

John

Sorry john. My bad.

I'll have a good read when I get a minute.

Seems like a really good idea if it's purpose made for a caravan.  

Hi, Great Reading!! Will consider getting 0ne when  I can get up to the van to measure the size I need, Mac.

1 hour ago, yellkell said:

Sorry john. My bad.

I'll have a good read when I get a minute.

Seems like a really good idea if it's purpose made for a caravan.  

It’s not purpose made for a caravan but is made to be fitted directly under carpets.  It is accredited for use on solid floors but there is a caution for wooden floors if they are heavily insulated particular if a beenbag might be used on top.  (See RugBuddy FAQ’s).  So in vans they work well.

Because of a caravans shape they would be diffcult to cover the whole floor with the limited sizes available.  But we find it sufficient in the living area where 1, 1000x500 fitted perfectly.

John

You need a under carpet heating system and full earthed already for protection . I had heating under the carpet in two separate areas lounge and bedroom in my twin axle which was thermostatic controlled on timed programs . Mats can be cut to shape by cutting the backing material but not the wires to cover awkwardest shaped areas like round fixed beds .

http://rayotec. com/electric-underfloor-heating/electric-underfloor-heating-for-carpet

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

We have blown air heating with 2 outlets at floor level in the front, this keeps our tootsies lovely and warm :)

6 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

You need a under carpet heating system and full earthed already for protection . I had heating under the carpet in two separate areas lounge and bedroom in my twin axle which was thermostatic controlled on timed programs . Mats can be cut to shape by cutting the backing material but not the wires to cover awkwardest shaped areas like round fixed beds .

http://rayotec. com/electric-underfloor-heating/electric-underfloor-heating-for-carpet

Dave

That stuff looks at least as good as RugBuddy,  don’t know how the earthing works on either.  Prices are comparable.  Problem with Rayotec it seems to me is the smallest mat is 1 m square, so presumably 1000 x 1000,   Too big for the living area of most vans.

John