Tow Cars For Vans

JimB

Hi

I am thinking of changing my towing car this year and was considering a diesel automatic. I have a diesel manual Mondeo at the moment and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations as to a reliable vehicle - anything but a 4 x 4 as I can't get anything this large in my garage.

Thanks

JimB :(

Hi JimB,

A lot depends on whether you are buying new or used and how much you want to spend. There have been a couple of threads recently on towcar choice,so I suggest that you have a thumb through Towcar Talk and see if anything strikes a chord. If you can't find anything to suit,post again. Come to think of it, what's wrong with a Mondeo diesel auto? :)

Frank

Hi

I am thinking of changing my towing car this year and was considering a diesel automatic.   I have a diesel manual  Mondeo at the moment and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations as to a reliable vehicle - anything but a 4 x 4 as I can't get anything this large in my garage.

Thanks

JimB    :(

4641[/snapback]

You put your car in the garage? WOW!! You couldn'e get another pushbike in ours.

You don't say which model of Mondeo you have at the moment but I had a TD5 Discovery (4x4) and "upgraded" to a my Mondeo,which is longer than a Discovery. I even had a roller door fitted to the garage to accommodate the Discovery but now have to remove the swan neck on the car so it fits in the garage(keep all my cars in the garage)

Any-way, apart from changing to an automatic I think I've got one of the best tow cars around.

Guest john1215
You put your car in the garage?  WOW!!  You couldn'e get another pushbike in ours.

4794[/snapback]

Isn't it against the rules to be able to put your car in the garage if you have kids, I thought the garage was for anything but cars!!

john1215

Isn't it against the rules to be able to put your car in the garage if you have kids, I thought the garage was for anything but cars!!

john1215

6462[/snapback]

John - or anybody else who might know,

Why do Passat clutches not like reversing caravans?

On anything other than a flat or downhill manoeuver, and even being as kind as I can to the clutch, it produces the most awful smell.

Cheers,

Trevor (TJH)

Hi TJH,

You too. It has only happened on one occasion with our Passat. It would appear that other VAG derivatives also suffer from the same pong. It's all down to clutch size and material. I have heard that other manufacturers suffer from similar clutch problems when reversing heavy trailers. Check the Nissan X-Trail thread. :):blink:

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Hi JimB,

We tow with a Mondeo TDCI (130) Durashift 5 Tronic and would recommend it. It's pretty hefty at 1566kg and has 243lb/ft of torque at 1800 rpm. The car has done 26,000 miles with about 15,000 of those miles towing a van. An injector had to be replaced at 25,000 miles (under warranty) and I just replaced the front wipers. I have replaced all four tyres but they are low profile 18" so they do wear a bit quicker than normal with a high torque engine (or so says Goodyear). The second service (two year 25,000 miles) cost £95 at my local Ford Rapid Fit. Hope all this helps you to make an informed choice!

Just for info: it fits in my garage ok!

Yossa