Removal Of Motor Mover

colger23

I am about to remove my motor mover from my single axle caravan to transfer to my new twin axle. I dont anticipate any problems removing it but would appreciate any pointers from anyone who has done this.

In my case, the mover will be fitted to the twin axle by the manufacturer so its just a case of removing it.

My mechanic removed mine and said it was simple/basic removal and sealing up any holes made.

Was amazed at how upgraded mine was to fit the twin axled van (pulsing action when turning)

Power touch are stars ;););)

John,

Thanks for the information - just as I thought, not a difficult job. Fortunately I do not have any holes to fill. I watched when the unit was fitted although you will appreciate that much of the work was under the 'van, but when it came to passing cables into the caravan the guy used the ventilation holes.

You are right tho', Powertouch must be the best mover there is and I have never had any problems dealing with the company, in fact, the opposite - extremely helpful.

Incidentally, did you have yours fitted to the rear wheels on your twin axle. This is what they have advised so that the jockey wheel can be raised as high as possible thereby lifting, more or less, the front pair of wheels reducing drag.

It means the spare wheel must be removed, not a bad thing anyway as I wouldnt want to have to get the spare wheel out, if needed, from such a difficult position. I can carry the spare wheel under the island bed !!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Gerry

NRF - thats what I thought - however, I do remember when I purchased the mover I decided to have the heavy duty model which was offered. It was only a casual mention to Powrwheel when I questioned a problem that they informed me that the mover could be transferred to a twin axle but with a different controller.

I have to admit that this has save me many hundreds of pounds and is another reason why I am pleased I have dealt with Powrwheel. My experience with this mover and company have been exemplary - even when I left the remote on the A frame (something you shouldnt do !!!!!!!) and lost it !!!!!! although it was later found on the side of the road in three pieces !!!!!!!!

I had an HD one fitted to my single axle but a whole new assembly arrived to be fitted to mine and the old one went back.

The system now pulses when it turns (need help by a good lean in my case).

Must look as to which wheel it's been fitted on (will have a look and report back :rolleyes: )

A GREAT COMPANY to deal with ;);)

If your mover "pulses" then it sounds like a twin axle unit. It is only a control box to change, look at the box, it will say twin on the top.

The single axle mover will NOT move twin axle, without a new twin control box. Most dealers will arrange to swap your mover over to the new 'van, or Powerwheel can arrange for one of their fitters to carry out the work for you.

Dave

Have been in touch with Powrtouch, I am removing the heavy duty unit tomorrow and Powertouch will provide replacement control box and fitting to the new caravan. Not sure of the effect on the noseweight as they have advised removal of the spare wheel so that the mover can be fitted on the rear pair of wheels. This means that the nosewheel can be raise quite high and take pressure off the front pair of wheels resulting in less scrubbing. I like this idea as the spare wheel will be easier to get at if needed if it is either in the 'van or in the car.

Taking delivery of caravan on the 14th Jan so hopefully shortly after that the mover will be fitted.

Gerry

Just a quick note to say mover removed today - no problems at all and very easy to do. Thanks everyone who responded to this thread.

Gerry

Always best to fit twins behind rear axle if possible, as you say raise front as high as poss, (careful of grounding rear end if crossing pavements etc) the front wheels can skid sideways a little, and it turns easier and tighter.

Dave - Thanks for your comments, most appreciated.

Gerry