Adria's Disappointing Warranty Rule

henrypartridge

Well this forum comes up trumps again! A member pointed out that Adria insist that servicing be carried out by an Adria dealer as a condition of warranty. I frankly didn't believe it but I emailed Adria:-

I’m intending to buy an Adora Danube shortly. However, I have one concern. I have read on Caravan Talk (internet forum) an assertion that the caravan can only be serviced by an Adria dealer to keep the warranty going. I have for years used a mobile engineer. He IS an Approved workshop. I want to continue to use him so could you let me know whether that would be acceptable?

They said

Thank you for your interest in our Adora Danube caravan. It is a condition of our warranty that our vehicles should be serviced by an Adria dealership.

Please find below a link to our dealer list on our website:

I have emailed them back

Thanks for the quick reply. That is very disappointing: the car world stopped that practice years ago. ( Probably because the EU made them) There is only one dealer near me (Teeside Caravans) and who is to say they will always remain Adria dealers. Plus the mobile Approved Workshop I use does a fantastic job and has helped me out when I've had a problem on site so I want to use him in the future.

Can you find a solution to my problem? (e. g. annual damp inspection after service.) I was about to order the caravan but I’m afraid this compulsion would be a deal breaker for me. That would be a shame because we love the caravan

After all, if an Approved Workshop is acceptable to Swift, Bailey, Lunar, Elddis and Coachman, what is the problem?

Very disappointing, I LOVE the caravan, but I'm past the age where I'll be dictated to.

I'll keep you posted.

Isuzu D Max pulling Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia

Bailey Autograph 740 MH: Isuzu for sale LOL

a little shocked there to be honest, i agree with you that you should be able to use an approved service centre, Stu

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer & Elddis Crusader Hurricane

I thought this practice was now illegal in the uk?

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Adria's response.

The automotive and leisure vehicle industries will always be compared but they are very different.

Only appointing dealerships ensures our customers an excellent level of service and support.

We have an extremely strong relationship with Teesside Caravans. However in the unlikely event they were no longer an Adria dealership we would appoint another dealership to cover the same territory. We would not leave an area without representation.

Teesside Caravans may even be able to offer you mobile servicing

I replied

I take on board what you say. However, to me the real issue is that the Approved Workshop that I use (mobile) does an absolutely fantastic job. I have a long and good relationship with them and they have helped me out when I was stuck with no gas fire in freezing weather by coming to the camp site the same day and fixing it. In your words they provide me with “an excellent level of support and service.” To me there is no good reason to stop using their services. Getting an annual service and damp inspection with them has never been a problem with any of the makes of caravan I’ve had so I’m surprised that this poses a problem to Adria.

I do wish I could persuade you to reconsider as we like the Danube very much and would like to buy it.

No response as yet.

As per members' comments above I too thought this practice was illegal. I have nothing against Teeside Caravans, they seem very helpful etc, but i want to use OTW, the mobile Approved Workshop I refer to. Simply because I KNOW he does a superb job, so why should I take a chance. Previous experiences of dealer servicing have not been good.

So the long and the short of it is I won't be buying an Adria. Shame, loved the caravan, but there you go.

Edited by henrypartridge

I read this thread with Interest as My Adria was bought from Campbell s Caravans in Preston who are no longer and Adria dealership (they still service Motorhomes) . I rang Adria to find if I needed to find an alternative dealer. They reassured me that as long as they were an Adria dealer at the time of sale then I could continue to use them for service even though they are no longer one and this won't affect the warranty. Here is their email I received.

To confirm our telecon' regarding Adria aftersales support:

The automotive and leisure vehicle industries will always be compared but they are very different.

Only appointing dealerships ensures our customers receive an excellent level of service and support and our dealer network is extremely stable.

In the event a company ceases to be an Adria dealership they remain able to provide full aftersales support to the Adria vehicles they have supplied with no detrimental effect to a vehicle's Adria warranty.

We would also appoint another dealership to cover the same territory. An area would not be left without Adria representation.

Please feel free to copy paste the above to circulate.

We wish you continued happy touring in your Adria caravan.

Kind regards,

Andy Taczynski

Aftersales

Adria Concessionaires

They were very helpful

Previous owner of Adria Altea 542DT 2010 with Ford Galaxy 2011 titanium x and powershift

Makes you wonder whether the Adria dealers are so bad that they have to force people to keep coming back to them for servicing?

In reality, its probably part of the 'package' that a dealer gets when they sign up to sell Adria - both the initial sale and the recurring service stream.

I wonder how the servicing prices compare with local Approved Workshops?

Adria's response.

Only appointing dealerships ensures our customers an excellent level of service and support.

We have an extremely strong relationship with Teesside Caravans. However in the unlikely event they were no longer an Adria dealership we would appoint another dealership to cover the same territory. We would not leave an area without representation.

Teesside Caravans may even be able to offer you mobile servicing

I replied

I take on board what you say. However, to me the real issue is that the Approved Workshop that I use (mobile) does an absolutely fantastic job. I have a long and good relationship with them and they have helped me out when I was stuck with no gas fire in freezing weather by coming to the camp site the same day and fixing it. In your words they provide me with “an excellent level of support and service.” To me there is no good reason to stop using their services. Getting an annual service and damp inspection with them has never been a problem with any of the makes of caravan I’ve had so I’m surprised that this poses a problem to Adria.

I do wish I could persuade you to reconsider as we like the Danube very much and would like to buy it.

No response as yet.

As per members' comments above I too thought this practice was illegal. I have nothing against Teeside Caravans, they seem very helpful etc, but i want to use OTW, the mobile Approved Workshop I refer to. Simply because I KNOW he does a superb job, so why should I take a chance. Previous experiences of dealer servicing have not been good.

So the long and the short of it is I won't be buying an Adria. Shame, loved the caravan, but there you go.

Your warranty is with the dealer not Adria. In the event of a claim the dealer would need to prove that the cause was a direct result of work carried out (or not) by others.

Many claims are for proprietary equipment which will be referred to the appropriate manufacturer. A leaking body is most unlikely to be the result of any servicing and the various SOG Acts may apply.

Whilst people accept these unreasonable practices the trade will continue to apply them.

I agree. I won't accept this unreasonable practice so i will buy something else.

As a member of the Approved Workshop scheme I was of the understanding that we could service Adria's, maintaining their warranty. I have sent a message to the NCC Approved Workshop manager for confirmation, still waiting his reply.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

No. Martin you cannot do adrias and maintain the warranty but i would like to see someone take adria to task. Check the AWS website for a list of manufacturers that support the scheme. Not on list no can do

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

Makes you wonder whether the Adria dealers are so bad that they have to force people to keep coming back to them for servicing?

In reality, its probably part of the 'package' that a dealer gets when they sign up to sell Adria - both the initial sale and the recurring service stream.

I wonder how the servicing prices compare with local Approved Workshops?

I have yet to find an Adria dealer that only sells Adria. All to date are fixed price servicing across the manufacturers.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

From the AWS website

The Approved Workshop Scheme is also endorsed by all major touring caravan and motorhome manufacturers, including:

Adria Mobil

Eh???????????

Edited by henrypartridge

As I've already stated, the NCC Approved Workshop manager has been contacted for verification. When he replies to me I will update the post. The Adria importers into the UK trade as Adria Conssesionaires. .. Adria Mobil endorse the Approved Workshops.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

had mine done by a ncc mobile and the warenty was coverd on site afterr i contacted the DEALER not adria

I did exactly the same and my dealer said I could use a NCC engineer but belt and braces I contacted Adria as the wording in the manual was very specific in that it said an Adria dealer, Adria said that it was just as well i did check as they said it would have invalidated the manufacturers warranty. You are of course protected by SOG but what happens if the dealer goes bust, The word Creek and paddle spring to mind.

It could also affect the resale if the buyer makes any checks

My last services with Adria approved dealer was around the £200 mark inclusive which appears to be on par with other dealers.

Edited by wizzo

Previous owner of Adria Altea 542DT 2010 with Ford Galaxy 2011 titanium x and powershift

Reply from The Approved Workshop Scheme Manager

Thank you for your recent communication and using the Approved Workshop Scheme website.

I can confirm Adria are NCC members and as such recognise AWS (as a scheme part owned by NCC) but unfortunately their support does not currently extend to include servicing of their products during the warranty period. We are hopeful this will change in the future but cannot confirm if and when this will be.

Thank you for your comments which we will consider should a change in their stance not be forthcoming.

Kind regards.

John Hartley

AWS Manager

I received the same information when I bought my Adria Adora 612DP in October 2009 and said at the time that I would not be dictated to by anyone other than my wife.

I have had my caravan serviced by and AWS approved mobile workshop from day one and receive marvellous service from him (Caravan Chris) and will continue to use him.

If there are any problems either at my next service (due next month) or in the future that Adria refuse to acknowledge or try to hide behind their (possibly illegal) restrictive terms and conditions, I will have no hesitation in resorting to the Law to resolve the problem and I am sure Adria will come off second best.

regards

Lester Rope

VW Passat 2. 0 SE TDi followed by Adria Adora 612DP Lunar Champ H621 - we have moved to the dark side

i agree not had this problem if warenty work is needed it will go back to dealer and no price paid but servicing is not a problem as i made it clear that i will get it done for the best price as long as its ncc aproved alls fine may be venture caravans canhelp but dont think it is ok for them to dictate the service rotar aprt as the law.

It's obdurate in the extreme. The AWS guy said he thought Adria might reconsider but he couldn't say for sure nor when that might be. Caravan Club mag has a comparison of the Adora 462UP (new version of which, the Danube) I was going to buy. It gets a rave review and I am still keen to buy one, but I won't abandon my choise of service and I won't risk the warranty. I'm sure Lesr48 is right, they would lose in law, but who needs the hassle?

I thought that one of the main reasons for buying an Adria was that they don't suffer from water ingress. They are also of an allegedly better build quality to most UK made caravans ?

Most long warranty periods with traditionally built caravans are effectively water ingress warranties. After the first two or three years the warranty period has expired on the other items in the manufacturer's warranty.

Had a final response from Adria when I asked them if they would consider allowing Approved workshops.

We believe that our current and potential customers are best served by our existing arrangements.

We are not looking to change our position regarding the servicing of our vehicles during our warranty period (additionally block exemption does not apply to the servicing of caravans or motorhome habitation units).

As I previously suggested Teesside may be able to offer mobile servicing but if you intend to use a specific mobile engineer to maintain your vehicle we are unfortunately unable to offer a solution.

Their right obviously but, as I told them, it's cost them at least one sale as I won't be buying. Shame, lovely caravn, but there you go.

I thought that one of the main reasons for buying an Adria was that they don't suffer from water ingress. They are also of an allegedly better build quality to most UK made caravans ?

Most long warranty periods with traditionally built caravans are effectively water ingress warranties. After the first two or three years the warranty period has expired on the other items in the manufacturer's warranty.

Yes it is purely the water ingress warranty that continues after the 2-3 years of the warranty period expires for the items like fridge,heater etc

They generally don't suffer from water ingress but you have to keep up the service history with an Adria dealer to keep this in tact.

Wonder how many thermobuild assembled vans have had water ingress ?

We first looked at the Adrias around 18 months ago at the show at Newark. The dealer from near mansfield were displaying, we asked the chap on the stand about them, he appologised to us and advised he was the workshop fella and he was no salesman, He did assure us that in there years of selling and maintaining adrias he personally had only come across damp in the older built adria models.

Iirc he said the way they mount the roof and side panels is the opposite way to most manufacturers and as long as the seal or sealant didnt fail they are very unlikely to leak.

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.