Fully Transferable Warranty And Warranty Work

NewRangerFamily

Is it only me or are there others who think the caravan industry is guilty of restrictive and customer unfriendly policies.

My van is due for its first service soon and although other Bailey dealers are happy to service my van they have suggested that they will not do any warranty work and that I will need to take it back to the dealer from whom it was purchased (3 hours drive away)

The warranty itself is not transferable if I sell the van.

Compare this with the purchase of a car, which could be several thousand pounds cheaper to buy yet the warranty is freely transferable when the car is sold on and any warranty work can be completed at any authorised dealer.

When I raised this with Bailey their response was simply "its just the way the industry is". Well it seems to me that, we, the buyers (their customers and livlihood) need to start changing things. Why should we put up with this?

Is there one caravan manufacturer who is willing to turn its back on these unfriendly and outdated practices ? Would the Caravan Club or any other body be willing to pressure / lobby the powers that be to start changing things for the better?

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Guest john1215

David,

I'm almost certain that I have seen "nearly new" vans offered for sale with a notice saying "still under warranty" or something similar and that this applies on Lunar Caravans. I'll certainly check this with the dealer I normally use.

I can see no obvious reason why a warrant shouldn't transfer to a new owner.

As for the servicing issue, that again is ridiculous, you can take your car to any garage who services that make and they will service it no problems.

I wonder who would need to be badgered to make this a reality in the Caravan industry.

john1215

Have a look at this web site. Nowhere does it state that the goods can only have one owner in the guarantee period and it gives me the impression that the guarantee with be appilcable for the duration, however if you buy it privately is the dealer the original person who sold the van or the person from whom you bought it second hand? http://www. dti. gov. uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact. htm

Further to it, it states that the you can cause the dealer pain for up to six years if you detected a fault but the dealer was not unable to put it right, that is, you have six years grace in which to take them to court. Discovery owners did just that and won!

Is it only me or are there others who think the caravan industry is guilty of restrictive and customer unfriendly policies.

My van is due for its first service soon and although other Bailey dealers are happy to service my van they have suggested that they will not do any warranty work and that I will need to take it back to the dealer from whom it was purchased (3 hours drive away)

Lets face it warranty work should be a very lucrative business :-

- As customers we don't care how much a warranty repair costs because we don't have to pay for it.

- The repairer gets paid for the work by the original manufactuer, providing of course it's a recognised fault.

- The repairer has the chance to get a new customer who they can sell servicing and non warranty repairs to.

- We get to go to the dealer/service centre that's most convenient to us.

You would think everyone would be happy with this arrangement.

I can only assume that dealers don't want to undertake warranty work for vans they've not sold because it's too difficult to get the money back from the manufactuers. Perhaps someone in the trade could comment.

I think it's simply APPAULING that warranty's are not transferable.

Wished all nearly new buyer could afford to (bypass up to 3 year old vans) leaving them unsold on the dealers forecourts and teach the manufacturers a sharp lesson :angry:

Here is a link to the Bailey warranty conditions

http://www. bailey-caravans. co. uk/warranty. htm

Are all other caravan manufacturers the same?

Brian

4638[/snapback]

I've just checked the information on the Explorer Group website. Unlike Bailey, which recommends returning to your original suppplier for warranty work, you can take your van to any Explorer approved service centre. They will then seek authority from Explorer to proceed with warranty repairs, as you'd expect.

Warranties can be transferred for an admin fee of £25 which seems very reasonable, I've seen much higher figures in other industries. All the service paperwork must be passed to the new owner.

Seems pretty good.

Guest john1215
Warranties can be transferred for an admin fee of £25 which seems very reasonable, I've seen much higher figures in other industries. All the service paperwork must be passed to the new owner.

Seems pretty good.

4913[/snapback]

If you purchase a car though, that has still got warranty on it, you don't have to pay anything extra as the warranty transfers, if it is good enough for the car industry then it should be good enough for the caravan industry too.

john1215

If you purchase a car though, that has still got warranty on it, you don't have to pay anything extra as the warranty transfers, if it is good enough for the car industry then it should be good enough for the caravan industry too.

john1215

4942[/snapback]

Do people like the Caravan Club and C&CC lobby manufacturers on this kind of thing ? Seems it would need to be at that kind of level to get any movement on these customer unfriendly policies

I've just checked the information on the Explorer Group website. Unlike Bailey, which recommends returning to your original suppplier for warranty work, you can take your van to any Explorer approved service centre. They will then seek authority from Explorer to proceed with warranty repairs, as you'd expect.

4913[/snapback]

They may say that but that does not happen in practice :angry:

The dealers just do not want to know. :angry:

A friend from the south of England bought an Explorer van from a dealer in the north at a show based on that assumption. The dealer even confirmed that that was the agreement. However, when it came to a serious warranty problem, the local dealer would not do anything. :angry:

The reason is that the manufacturers do not give the dealers a fair price for warranty labour. Their view is that the dealer has made enough profit to cover a lot of the cost. Therefore the local dealer ends up in a loss situation.

Moral: whatever the saving, buy from a dealer who is within reasonble travelling distance. If necessary, use the quote from the other dealer to try to negotiate the same price.

Roger

They may say that but that does not happen in practice :angry:

The dealers just do not want to know.   :angry:

A friend from the south of England bought an Explorer van from a dealer in the north at a show based on that assumption. The dealer even confirmed that that was the agreement. However, when it came to a serious warranty problem, the local dealer would not do anything. :angry:

The reason is that the manufacturers do not give the dealers a fair price for warranty labour. Their view is that the dealer has made enough profit to cover a lot of the cost. Therefore the local dealer ends up in a loss situation.

Moral: whatever the saving, buy from a dealer who is within reasonble travelling distance. If necessary, use the quote from the other dealer to try to negotiate the same price.

Roger

5430[/snapback]

Did he try getting Explorer involved ?

They've sold the warranty on the basis that any approved service centre can undertake repairs. It's up to Explorer to enforce the T&Cs with their approved service centres. Otherwise they shouldn't be approved service centres should they as it gets the service centre and the manufactuer a bad name.

Here is a link to the Bailey warranty conditions

http://www. bailey-caravans. co. uk/warranty. htm

Are all other caravan manufacturers the same?

Brian

4638[/snapback]

Check item 3 in terms and conditions

There is a dealer in the Midlands who states on his price list an extra charge for servicing "non customer vans"

IE. Vans purchased from other dealers

• 3 weeks later...

if you read iten 13 on there terms and agreement

That private cars, or 4x4 type vehicles substituting as private cars, shall have only towed the tourer.

they send them out of factory being towed by truck with 1 or 2 on flatbed

so does that invalidate the warranty before you get it

From Swift FAQ's so what's the problem

Q. Who can service my caravan/motorhome?

A. We would always recommend that the product is serviced by a recognised and approved Swift Group Dealer, or Swift Approved Repair Centre. However, we will accept services completed by an NCC approved dealership.

Q. Who can carry out warranty work on my caravan/motorhome?

A. Your warranty policy stands with your supplying dealer, and they are obligated to carry out any warranty work. However the Swift Group will authorise any Swift Group Dealer or Swift Approved Repair Centre to carry out the work. It is at the discretion of the individual dealer, whether they take on any additional customers.

Q. Is the warranty transferable, to new owners?

A. The warranty can be transferred to new owners, in 2 ways. You can either contact the Swift Group, quoting the serial number of the caravan, or build number of the motorhome. Alternatively, your Swift Group Dealer can update the files, via the online aftersales system. In order for the warranty to be transferred, the terms and conditions must be adhered to, particularly the annual servicing.

Sounds as though I did the right thing in buying my first caravan from the Swift Group

I think its down to the fact that its a seller's market out there. Motor manufacturers had to get their act together on customer service because if they hadn't the competition would have put them out of business. Bailey proudly announce that their vans are sold before they even leave the factory!!!

Moral: whatever the saving, buy from a dealer who is within reasonble travelling distance. Roger

5430[/snapback]

Thats all very well but you may have to move house.

Basically if you buy a van there should be none of this only servicing there own customers and not transferrring warranties - that devalues the van. It shows disrespect for the people who are buying their product.

I think its down to the fact that its a seller's market out there. Motor manufacturers had to get their act together on customer service because if they hadn't the competition would have put them out of business. Bailey proudly announce that their vans are sold before they even leave the factory!!!

Thats all very well but you may have to move house.

Basically if you buy a van there should be none of this only servicing there own customers and not transferrring warranties - that devalues the van. It shows disrespect for the people who are buying their product.

10656[/snapback]

Geoff

As you say, it's a seller's market. When the industry takes a downturn, the manufacturers will be offering various incentives to get customers. Eventually, one of them will offer 'any dealer' warrenty work and transferrable warranties.

Again it's the cost/benefit/profit equation. Money is always the driver - how could it be any different?

Mike

Archived