Sign in to follow this  
rickstevens

Scotland Next Week

We're heading up to Loch Lomond at the weekend. I remember numerous posts on here mentioning midges and the like being something of a problem north of the border, is that is still an issue at this time of year?

cheers

Rick

Watch out for ticks too, if you have a dog get it some spot on etc

We're heading up to Loch Lomond at the weekend. I remember numerous posts on here mentioning midges and the like being something of a problem north of the border, is that is still an issue at this time of year?

If the weather remains as is (wet \ windy \ cold) not an issue but if it was to improve dramatically it could get dry and warm enough for them to hatch again.

Don't laugh but a load of bowlers \ golfers (who tend to play in short sleeves when the weather is good) swear by Avon Skin So Soft. Bought some earlier this year but, given the weather, a waste of time - no real shelf life though so maybe next year!

Don't let the wee blighters put you off - it's a beautiful part of the world but never as nice as Sunny Scunny! ;)

A think you will be safe from the dreaded Midgie. Its the wasps that are dieing off at the moment that is causing chaos in the Smeesh Household at the moment. Murdered 4 of them within an hour yesterday ! Hope you have a good break. .......... ;)

GAS . ............. :angry:

I live in Scotland and do a bit of hillwalking. Midges haven't been a problem this year, there's a few about but nothing to worry about. Got pretty cool up here recently, will probably kill them off!

cheers

Rick

NO

Well they are out this morning in Carnoustie!

As Gellyneck says, get some Avon skin so soft and cover exposed skin with it, apart from keeping midges off, it also smells nice and moisturises your skin, and it really does work, midges won't come near it, you can often buy it at gas stations

As Gellyneck says, get some Avon skin so soft and cover exposed skin with it, apart from keeping midges off, it also smells nice and moisturises your skin, and it really does work, midges won't come near it, you can often buy it at gas stations

I'll second that. We keep a couple of bottles in the van but must admit very rarely use it.

Oh,... what is a gas station, is that where you can get butane and propane gas?

SWMBO actually walked in the other night with a bottle of skin so soft, one of her friends had mentioned it. Many thanks for the verification that it works.

I just need the A1 to be reopened now so I can get up to scotch corner

Bu****! Knew I should have convinced SWMBO to get the Avon franchise instead of Ann Summers! (Aye right!) :)

Next time youre being eaten alive by midges and armed with only a peephole bra and some chocolate willies you might think differently!

:)

Just back from a tour of Scotland. The only midges we encountered were in the glen behind the Morvich CC club site, and then only when it rained (i. e. all the time :ph34r: ).

I think the rain is keeping them at bay lol, I'm loving Loch Lomond though :D

I think the rain is keeping them at bay lol, I'm loving Loch Lomond though :D

Take a run out of to Inveraray Castle and Inveraray Historic Jail. Very interesting. On the road back to Loch Lomond nick into Loch Fyne Oyster and Seafood Restaurant. A wee tad expensive but worth it . ............ ;)

GAS. .......... :angry:

Yep, Inveraray is worth a visit. The pub on the high street does good food

What happened to the big old timber boats that used to be there? The Penguin??

The public toilets are expensive though! Really means a visit to the pub instead. ;)

Think there was one in during March this year but wasn't paying much attention though (chasing the dog along the front!).

The George hotel is the place to go. Great food and fabulous real ales, my favourite pub in Scotland.

A wee visit to Loch Fyne ales brewery is worth it as well.

Anton

The George hotel is the place to go. Great food and fabulous real ales, my favourite pub in Scotland.

A wee visit to Loch Fyne ales brewery is worth it as well.

Anton

Hi Anton,

Yi want to take a run out to ma neck of the woods. Have a Micro - Brewery about 10 minutes walk from my house. Heather Ale. I think they supply Tesco's amongst others. The heavier ale Alba is outstanding. We have a Sandford (ma village) musical extravaganza every summer called Sandfest. Just local talent with a wide range of instruments mostly Banjo and Guitar based and sit drink and play for two days. Dates vary from year to year but will let yi know . ......... ;)

GAS . ........................ :angry:

Smeesh, sandfest sounds the business, give me a shout nearer the time. I've tasted the heather ale and its excellent. If you get the chance have a go at the Black Isle beers, superb stuff.

Anton

Next time youre being eaten alive by midges and armed with only a peephole bra and some chocolate willies you might think differently!

:)

enlighten me !!! :wub: