Sign in to follow this  
bspks

Off Hook-Up Heating In New Caravans

Had a little trip to the local dealer whilst away on a rally at the weekend and was shocked to find how difficult it is to buy a new caravan with a "conventional" gas fire/blown air heating system.

As an avid rally goer I spend around twenty weekends or longer breaks a year without electric hookup.

All these new 'vans with the Whale underfloor mounted blown air heating or Alde wet heating require the use of the 12V system to heat the 'van as well as gas.

Whilst this may just about work on a 2 night weekend I worry that, for instance, on a 7 night winter rally, bearing in mind the additional use of lighting, TV etc. the battery would soon go flat.

Some New Year rallies I have had the heater on 24 hours a day apart from the odd break to change gas bottle.

I did find that the Swift Sprite range have the normal Truma heater which can be used on gas only, but on any model above that 12V is required.

The Bailey Orion range also only have the Whale underfloor unit.

Bearing in mind the many thousands of rally goers this seems very short sighted of them, like many others I'll probably just keep what I've got.

I see some of the new caravans now are not fitting batteries to save weight and money . These new caravans are designed for only EHU connection with no battery compartment .

More caravans are becoming more reliant on energy . Even some fridges wont work on only gas now without 12v supply .

Dave

It's a pain unless EHU is available (which I now use in the colder weather) but worth it for the superiour heating. It's actually cheaper to be on EHU, if the heating is to be used several hours a day, than to use the gas anyway.

I found the same problem when I went to the Lawns show, plus I couldn't find a caravan the size I want with a separate bedroom for my daughter

That's not good news at all (neither of the above posts).

Whilst we have no intention of changing our caravan . .. ever - it's bad news for the future if we have to end up with a fixed bed, heating that needs battery or worse still a caravan with no battery.

ALthough there seem to be a surprising number of people who use this forum who see the EHU as an umbilical cord to civilisation, and take all manner of electrical equipment away with them, there must be an equal number who rely solely on the caravan's equipment ie battery and gas.

How much market research do caravan manufacturer's do?

Provided there will always be caravans for those of us who go "off grid", and those of us who would never dream of being more than 25m from an electric hookup point, the caravan industry will tick along as it is doing now.

However, although I wasn't aware of the developments with the batteries (or no batteries) I have noticed with the new caravans that many seem to be increasingly less family orientated with fixed beds and/or the kids' beds on the "wrong" side of the bathroom door (ie quite possible to disturb them in the night).

I wonder how long it will be before solar panels are fitted to caravans as standard (with an option NOT to have them, rather than the other way around).

I take the point of the OP but I do not think that the fan or Alde pump draw a great deal of current. This can be kept on top of with solar energy. Another thing I do, though it is a bit of a pain, is make sure that I use a compatible car battery instead of a leisure battery, then I do a swap every couple of days and let the car do the charging on the way to the shops.

Otherwise a generator is possible but I avoid this so I don't annoy the neighbours.

Another thing I do, though it is a bit of a pain, is make sure that I use a compatible car battery instead of a leisure battery, then I do a swap every couple of days and let the car do the charging on the way to the shops

Your back must be in much better condition than mine or my husbands!!!!!!!

Your back must be in much better condition than mine or my husbands!!!!!!!

Maybe because I had an operation.

Maybe because I had an operation.

So did he, and it was successful, but neither he nor I can cope with heaving batteries around any more than is absolutely necessary.

Aside from that, how long does a car type battery last against a leisure battery with discharging and charging?

I have a battery charging system in the boot to charge my 85ah telly battery, but chose to buy another solar set up to charge it rather than humping the battery into the boot every few days & driving 30 odd miles,

Over the years the saving on petrol will have paid for the panels & controllers :)

Whilst a solar panel might work well in the summer when there are 15 odd hours of daylight, that is not when the heating is required.

When you get to the December/January Christmas - New Year period, you'll be lucky to get even 8 hours of useful daylight, wheres you may need the heating, albeit at a low setting much of the time, on for anything up to 24 hours.

Couple that with a week or so break and the battery surely must become depleted.

Whilst a solar panel might work well in the summer when there are 15 odd hours of daylight, that is not when the heating is required.

When you get to the December/January Christmas - New Year period, you'll be lucky to get even 8 hours of useful daylight, wheres you may need the heating, albeit at a low setting much of the time, on for anything up to 24 hours.

Couple that with a week or so break and the battery surely must become depleted.

I've never had a problem but I have top notch controllers to utilise all the power from the panels :)

I'm a bit OTT with the panels and I do have a charging system in the boot just in case :rolleyes:

med_gallery_384_6_671164.jpg

Has anyone worked out how much gas it takes to run the Alde system on gas at say 20 deg centigrade for a 4 hour stint ion a cold evening say for 4 hours?

So did he, and it was successful, but neither he nor I can cope with heaving batteries around any more than is absolutely necessary.

Aside from that, how long does a car type battery last against a leisure battery with discharging and charging?

I find no negible differance between car and leisure batteries in charge life ad in total life I find car batteries far better, also car batteries have duel use, no contest. I have lost count of the leisure batteries that have failed after 1 or 2 years.

It is suppoed to do a car battery good to be used, so I will swap a couple of times per year.

I do not swap batteries as much as I used to now for the following reasons.

If we are staying more than 3 nights usually on hook up even on CL.

Use of solar to top up

I remember when the kids were young and we would have 2 weeks without EHU. I would swap batteries every day, much younger then but this did work well. You did have to hope there was enough charge to get car started ready to recharge the battery.

That's not good news at all (neither of the above posts).

Whilst we have no intention of changing our caravan . .. ever - it's bad news for the future if we have to end up with a fixed bed, heating that needs battery or worse still a caravan with no battery.

ALthough there seem to be a surprising number of people who use this forum who see the EHU as an umbilical cord to civilisation, and take all manner of electrical equipment away with them, there must be an equal number who rely solely on the caravan's equipment ie battery and gas.

How much market research do caravan manufacturer's do?

Provided there will always be caravans for those of us who go "off grid", and those of us who would never dream of being more than 25m from an electric hookup point, the caravan industry will tick along as it is doing now.

However, although I wasn't aware of the developments with the batteries (or no batteries) I have noticed with the new caravans that many seem to be increasingly less family orientated with fixed beds and/or the kids' beds on the "wrong" side of the bathroom door (ie quite possible to disturb them in the night).

I wonder how long it will be before solar panels are fitted to caravans as standard (with an option NOT to have them, rather than the other way around).

Hi, Swift are fitting 20watt panels to some of their 2013 models

Has anyone worked out how much gas it takes to run the Alde system on gas at say 20 deg centigrade for a 4 hour stint ion a cold evening say for 4 hours?

I used to have an Alde gas central heating system on an old Boat. A 13Kg bottle would last me 1 week with the heating on 24hrs a day in the winter

According to Alde the current draw on 12V is 0. 6A an hour. http://www. alde. co. uk/faq. php

According to my calculations that would be 100. 4 Amp Hours over 7 days, and that without any use of the lights or pump, never mind the TV!

I rest my case. :mellow:

Hi . My undstanding was that 0. 6amps was when the alde is in use, so say 5 hrs per day = 3 amps

Am I correct ?

According to Alde the current draw on 12V is 0. 6A an hour. http://www. alde. co. uk/faq. php

I don't doubt that is what Aldi state but my experience tells me it is substantially more. Must do a proper test, sometime soon, to establish the actual figure. Still wouldn't change back though: it's just sooo superior when the temperature realy drops.

According to my calculations that would be 100. 4 Amp Hours over 7 days, and that without any use of the lights or pump, never mind the TV!

I rest my case. :mellow:

Not correct, it it on a thermostat. It may run half the time or less. The question is are people willing to get solar power or another alternative for the comfort. Nothing comes for free.

I, for one, am.

Not correct, it it on a thermostat. It may run half the time or less. The question is are people willing to get solar power or another alternative for the comfort. Nothing comes for free.

I, for one, am.

I appreciate your input, but going back to my original point, it's not that I'm expecting to get anything for free, far from it I know only too well how much a bottle of gas costs, I would just like to be able to upgrade the caravan but retain the gas only heating option for when I'm on a rally (which for me is most of the time I'm away with the 'van).

Bearing in mind the large number of rally goers, the manufacturers are really missing the mark here, in fact many I've spoken too have said things such as they may get their present unit reupholstered and keep what they've currently got, rather then spend the money on a new impractical caravan.

It means that for many of us who use the 'van extensively and like our comforts there is barely anything out there any more.

Guest Inner State

I don't doubt that is what Aldi state but my experience tells me it is substantially more. Must do a proper test, sometime soon, to establish the actual figure. Still wouldn't change back though: it's just sooo superior when the temperature realy drops.

Surely it's so warm and comfortable due to the good insulation, it really doesn't matter how you get the heat in there.

J