• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it happened to a friend or family member would you still maintain the haughty attitude? Lets hope it never happens to you or yours, eh?

If you heeded all the warnings in the media then it shouldn't happen. A small amount of common sense is all that's required and I am dead certain nobody in my family or indeed friends would be so silly.

It is the same with people investing money on the Internet and sending it abroad.

Agree with all posters who say a little bit of common sense and should have known better however who can honestly stick their hand up and say "I've never made a stupid mistake"! No disrespect to OP.

Guess we've all been there and the only difference is it cost the OP a fair sum of money.

Yes I feel for them and yes it shouldn't have happened but . ..........

I was not being none sympathetic in recommending private sales, in particular Caravan Finder but everyone can be stung in any sale. The the victims have not posted about the scam the dealer did. I wonder if Mr & Mrs Blick would find it embarrassing unless thats a pseudonym . My nephew bought a caravan at the beginning of the season. We viewed the caravan at the sellers home a very nice family. The owner had lost his job with the company car and even though he had found another job he couldn't afford to buy a decent tow car and they were using his wife's run around. He was happy to sell it quickly and my nephew got a great deal with all the bits needed thrown in and the seller even let him keep the caravan on his drive for two weeks until he got a tow bar fitted and storage arranged. I’m sorry that the couple have been stung but personally I would not part with that amount of money in that way.

Edited by Silverback

Something similar in today's Sunday Telegraph. Saw a TV on Amazon (Marketplace), as new. Received "official" order info from "Amazon" saying pay via MoneyGram to Greek address. Customer doubtful, but received e-mail from "Amazon" giving money-back guarantee. They paid. Never subsequently heard from seller, nor saw TV. Amazon say he should have paid via Amazon's own authorised system, which guarantees purchases. Caveat emptor.

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

When we talk about a con we are really talking about a THEFT. A con man is a THIEF. The person who was stolen from is a VICTIM. Very simplistic I know, but that is the bottom line.

If somebody broke into your locked house and robbed you, would you expect to be called a fool or blamed for causing it because you didn't have a burglar alarm a big scary dog, a team of security guards, steel bars on the windows?

Heres an example, scam ad on ebay. ..

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item3f1cb04cad

Way too cheap, no feedback etc

Paste the ad into google and you get. ..

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..&orig_cvip=true

Which is probably a genuine ad.

I cheekily answered the advert before it disappeared off ebay. ... The genuine one can still be seen. ... Just received this email back. ...

2009 is the year. Due to my location and since view is not an option I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer Protection Program. Here is how the process works:

- you give me your full name and shipping address

- I start the transaction with the eBay,

- they send further payment instructions,

- you have to pay for the item to eBay to secure the funds,

- they confirm me that they received the funds,

- I deliver the van,

- you receive the van,

- they send me the money.

Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the van in good order.

Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

I am unable with phone so please use email as primary contact option. I dont use phone for internet deals. I have a audi a4. ..

Shame the photo shows a Landrover Freelander in one of the photos and the reg number matches the Landrover

Will keep you posted. ...

Edited by JanandJay

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

If you heeded all the warnings in the media then it shouldn't happen. A small amount of common sense is all that's required and I am dead certain nobody in my family or indeed friends would be so silly.

It is the same with people investing money on the Internet and sending it abroad.

If you SEE ANY of the warnings in the media. And these cons are actually very sophisticated to make them look like a genuine transaction is happening, some even linking to genuine looking 'Pay-Pal' web sites that mention anti-money laundering laws etc.

Still you are so clever we know it will never, ever happen to you.

Has the revolution finally begun?

I was not being none sympathetic in recommending private sales, in particular Caravan Finder but everyone can be stung in any sale. The the victims have not posted about the scam the dealer did. I wonder if Mr & Mrs Blick would find it embarrassing unless thats a pseudonym . My nephew bought a caravan at the beginning of the season. We viewed the caravan at the sellers home a very nice family. The owner had lost his job with the company car and even though he had found another job he couldn't afford to buy a decent tow car and they were using his wife's run around. He was happy to sell it quickly and my nephew got a great deal with all the bits needed thrown in and the seller even let him keep the caravan on his drive for two weeks until he got a tow bar fitted and storage arranged. I’m sorry that the couple have been stung but personally I would not part with that amount of money in that way.

We would just like to clarify that Mr & Mrs Blick in fact do exist and that they have given us full permission to share their story with others, in the hope that they can help others to not get scammed by the same thieves.

As the original posts states, they are not very computer literate and they do not use websites like this, hence the reason why we have shared their story on behalf of them.

This is not an 'advert' to put people off using private listings and push people towards dealers - it is a friendly heads up that they are currently a huge amount of scams going on around the internet by an eastern European gang, that not only target caravans, but boats, cars, trailer tents, you name it. It is also a topic for people to share advice on the warning signs of this kind of activity and was also posted so that we, ourselves could see if anyone else on this forum had been a victim of the same scam.

It is a sad day when people are criticised for trying to help others, but thank you to all those that have contributed helpful advice - we have fed back all useful responses to Mr & Mrs Blick and they have collated the information for their police report.

Broad Lane Leisure

Making outdoors a pleasure since 1971

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

And another. ...

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/2010-SWIFT-CHARISMA-540-5-BERTH-TOURING-CARAVAN-/160889837986?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item2575c819a2

and another. ..

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/2009-SPRITE-QUATTRO-CARAVAN-6-BERTH-/120990812771?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item1c2b9d4a63

I'm sure theres no one on here who would seriously consider any of these vans seriously, but please, if you have any doubts about any van just walk away, there'll be another along as sure as eggs are eggs :)

And another. ...

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item2575c819a2

and another. ..

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item1c2b9d4a63

I'm sure theres no one on here who would seriously consider any of these vans seriously, but please, if you have any doubts about any van just walk away, there'll be another along as sure as eggs are eggs :)

Google cache of one of those adverts, but the item is in Edinburgh this time, again, listed by a new seller with no feedback:

http://webcache. goog. ..uk&client=opera

Probably the original ad: http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/SPRITE-QUATTRO-CARAVAN-6-BERTH-MINT-CONDITION-/150870483281?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item232094e151&clk_rvr_id=390818595407

Edited by Trevor Marron

Has the revolution finally begun?

Every sympathy for the victims of this scam. I nearly fell for a similar thing on ebay but felt the van was too much of a bargain. I emailed the seller through ebay who replied he hadn't got a caravan to sell and that someone must have hacked into his account. ebay also alerted me to the fact that something was wrong soon after.

I can't help but feel the dealer is milking this though to scaremonger buyers into using dealers. Bargains can be found but you must be careful and never hand over any cash until your 100% sure. The caravan you see in my picture was a £22,000 of 8 month old when I bought it for £16500. I checked with CRiS I visited the caravan in store and at the sellers home. I telephoned the selling dealer to check he had bought it from where he said he had and everything was kosher. I have owned it now for four years and all's well. I found it on Caravanfinder by the way which I think is much safer as your not tempted to rush into anything as the bidding is about to end and you may lose a bargain!!!!!

I know quite a few police officers and it appears that this type of offence is very prevalent at the moment and sadly a lot of people are losing a lot of money - caravans, tractors, cars you name it and they will try it. Another popular scam occurs when a fraudster takes over a computer or is able to place a message on the screen notifying the user there is a virus on the computer and that there is a requirement to send money via Western Union or Ukash or similar company. From a fraudsters point of view these are ideal because the money can be withdrawn without ID anywhere on the world, London 1 minute and Lagos the next.

Be warned and be careful.

M

Edited by majorraglan

I know quite a few police officers and it appears that this type of offence is very prevalent at the moment and sadly a lot of people are losing a lot of money - caravans, tractors, cars you name it and they will try it. Another popular scam occurs when a fraudster takes over a computer or is able to place a message on the screen notifying the user there is a virus on the computer and that there is a requirement to send money via Western Union or Ukash or similar company. From a fraudsters point of view these are ideal because the money can be withdrawn without ID anywhere on the world, London 1 minute and Lagos the next.

Be warned and be careful.

M

Its best to point out . .. That paying for this doesnt make it go away;; the computer will not be unlocked however . there is a fix available free that is fairly easy to use. google "police scam" .