• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every sympathy for the victims of this scam. I nearly fell for a similar thing on ebay but felt the van was too much of a bargain. I emailed the seller through ebay who replied he hadn't got a caravan to sell and that someone must have hacked into his account. ebay also alerted me to the fact that something was wrong soon after.

I can't help but feel the dealer is milking this though to scaremonger buyers into using dealers. Bargains can be found but you must be careful and never hand over any cash until your 100% sure. The caravan you see in my picture was a £22,000 of 8 month old when I bought it for £16500. I checked with CRiS I visited the caravan in store and at the sellers home. I telephoned the selling dealer to check he had bought it from where he said he had and everything was kosher. I have owned it now for four years and all's well. I found it on Caravanfinder by the way which I think is much safer as your not tempted to rush into anything as the bidding is about to end and you may lose a bargain!!!!!

Bailey Senator Wyoming S6 & Hyundai Santa Fe. They make a lovely couple!

Sorry but I have no sympathy. Just to save a few quid buying a caravan unseen??? Must be mad!

It is the duty of the wise to help those more vulnerable than them self. Without that we have no place in civilised society and we become little better than those who con, cheat, steal and abuse their way through life.

Has the revolution finally begun?

It is the duty of the wise to help those more vulnerable than them self. Without that we have no place in civilised society and we become little better than those who con, cheat, steal and abuse their way through life.

:goodpost:

Chrlysler 300c Tourer/2003 Hymer 390/2

:goodpost: could not have put it better myself. Lets not start castigating the victims for not being switched on enough to spot the deception. Gullible they may be but we are here to help each other. ..decent people should pull together against the common enemy of liars cheats and theives.

Volvo XC70 followed by a 2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Verona

There have been more than enough warnings on here and on the radio and Tv regarding these scams. Perhaps people think it won't happen to them. Still say it is crazy to buy something like a caravan on the Internet.

Edited by jks

REALLY. ..... bit harsh for gods sake, they may have been foolish, nieve etc, " but they get what they deserve "

hang your head in shame

good posting we have all been there for what ever amount

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

They who go where angels fear to tread?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. Internet connected via 3 dongle Windows 7. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine.

LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,.Reich Move Control. Safefill Fitted. ,CT. Ninja (Hon) Flies the flag. Tyron Bands

Not Much Money but we do see life. Motto . Carpe Diem .

Heres an example, scam ad on ebay. ..

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item3f1cb04cad

Way too cheap, no feedback etc

Just checked. This is the advertisement as of 2 minutes ago. Item 271064255661 is no longer available.

How strange-for a 'genuine' ad.

Paste the ad into google and you get. ..

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..&orig_cvip=true

Which is probably a genuine ad.

Regards.

Col

Proud to be a Patriot and CT Ninja
I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

Hi Ilovemycaravan

Can you please confirm

1) This caravan was purchased through Ebay, i. e. the complainants had an Ebay account and followed the procedure for the 'Buy It Now' option as you state?

2) That they paid via Paypal, i. e. having a Paypal account and that it was an online transaction ?

Regards

Bump

Edited by Bump

The guy who I had contact with had about three hundred feedback points (or whatever they are called) all for pretty run of the mill ordinary things; CD's, unused car accessories, small electronics etc. Must have taken a lot of work (or was it hacked?)

When I googled him it was evident he uses the same name or at least the same or similar surnames in all his scams. Sometimes he used a female christian name.

I'm looking out his emails right now, I forgot he even had a pre-fabricated photobucket account with pictures of the vehicle. I hope I wasted his time.

Trevor, I wish I could write like that, I could not have put it better.

Hi Ilovemycaravan

Can you please confirm

1) This caravan was purchased through Ebay, i. e. the complainants had an Ebay account and followed the procedure for the 'Buy It Now' option as you state?

2) That they paid via Paypal, i. e. having a Paypal account and that it was an online transaction ?

Regards

Bump

The caravan was initially advertised on Friday Ad and then once the customers made communication with the seller they then created a provate listing through their eBay account that had 73 positive feedbacks left and 100% rating. Sent them the link to confirm the buy it now.

The transaction was not done online, apparently because it is a high value product you have to take the paypal account details to a bank for them to process the transaction, unfortunately the account details were the sellers own account.

Broad Lane Leisure

Making outdoors a pleasure since 1971

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Every sympathy for the victims of this scam. I nearly fell for a similar thing on ebay but felt the van was too much of a bargain. I emailed the seller through ebay who replied he hadn't got a caravan to sell and that someone must have hacked into his account. ebay also alerted me to the fact that something was wrong soon after.

I can't help but feel the dealer is milking this though to scaremonger buyers into using dealers. Bargains can be found but you must be careful and never hand over any cash until your 100% sure. The caravan you see in my picture was a £22,000 of 8 month old when I bought it for £16500. I checked with CRiS I visited the caravan in store and at the sellers home. I telephoned the selling dealer to check he had bought it from where he said he had and everything was kosher. I have owned it now for four years and all's well. I found it on Caravanfinder by the way which I think is much safer as your not tempted to rush into anything as the bidding is about to end and you may lose a bargain!!!!!

Not at all, our aim is to make people aware that there is currently a scam like this happening or to help educate people on the warnings signs should they choose to purchase a caravan online.

Ultimately we would love to be able to help catch the scammer and bring them to justice or help find a way to allow Mr & Mrs Blick to get their money back.

At the end of the day people make their own choices as to where they buy a product, all we can do is help and advise those that are unaware of things like this - we don't want to see people being scammed out of thousands of pounds and this post was never intended to 'scaremonger buyers into using dealers' but to try and do something to help and alert others.

Broad Lane Leisure

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Just type 'John Neale' scam into google and you will see who I am on about. Reading a bit further, it is thought that it is an East European gang and the Police and the banks are unwilling to do anything about it.

Ilovemycaravan, Is this the same person?

Absolutely fantastic! Thank you so so much! It is definitely the same people and I have just sent the customers all the details of the links, so that they can use them to back up their case and hopefully get their money back!

Shocking that it has happened to so many people for different kind of products like boats!

Thank you again though, give yourself a good pat on the back - you have certainly done your good deed for the day! The information will really really help, thanks!

Broad Lane Leisure

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

In short the con-man used the Friday Ad as bait, eBay to tug the hook, and Pay-Pal to reel the mark in, but doing both the eBay and Pay-Pal transactions on the side, not through the actual organisations. The con-man will do several things to persuade you not to actually buy through eBay or Pay-Pal, for example citing the high commission fees etc. or saying that Pay-Pal takes too long to clear the funds. Similarly he will tell you you can't use a credit card through Pay-Pal because of the costs involved. In this case he fabricated some Pay-Pal account details which actually appears to have pointed to some other kind of account for the money to be laundered through.

What you must bear in mind is the con-man will come over as a very nice guy, trying to let you have the caravan/boat/car/whatever at the lowest possible price by avoiding paying the charges and commissions that eBay and Pay-Pal charge.

And it is like fishing, for every one that he catches there will be many more who simply do not take the bait, and others who slip off the hook. But as long as he catches one or two every month or so then he is making his living.

So if you are buying on-line through eBay or Pay-Pal bear in mind, no matter what the seller says, you MUST complete the transactions ON LINE. Make sure the connection is to who it says it is by looking for a little locked padlock on your browser or for the address in the address bar being correct and starting with HTTPS

Has the revolution finally begun?

I'm not very computer savvy but do use ebay and gumtree and I was scammed almost 3 years ago via gumtree and what I thought was paypal for a few hundred pounds just before Christmas of all times. The email looked genuine and I swear it must be the one time I never actually deleted it, I clicked the link and more fool me!!

The money from the "buyer" appeared in my account, I posted the item special delivery then later on that night I went back onto Paypal to see how to transfer the money into the bank online only to find the transaction amount and (pending) next to it.

My heart was in my mouth and I emailed Paypal, tried to phone them, got through and they said it must've been a spoof email i'd logged in via so there was nothing they could do except advise me to change my password and contact the police.

I swallowed humble pie and phoned, explained the situation and they came round and were really nice. I gave them copies of ANY correspondance I had.

The police tried to stop the parcel but it was already on a plane to Hethrow the very next morning as i'd sent it special delivery so I knew i'd never see that again.

They managed to track him down via a mobile phone and called. A broken English spoken guy answered and was being questioned but kept hanging up so they passed it to the fraud departmment who traced the guy to Liverpool. I don't know if they tried to arrest him (probably not) but he was gone and the mobile number was dead so I was told there was nothing I could do.

Then he had the cheek to keep emailing and saying i'd made his Paypal account become frozen or something and demanded another £200!!!!! I told him to bolt and the fraud dept at the police told me all they could advise me was to block him but that was the end of that!

The thing is I was mortified at being sucked in and having to get the police and I told them this but one of the officers said we get calls like this all the time even from computer whizzes, you're not the first and you certainly won't be the last".

Long and non caravan related but I do hope these people get caught and the victims get there money back as I must be one of the most careful people when it comes to buying and selling online and just once I made a stupid mistake and got caught out.

Compass Shadow 1988

I agree

You can get some excellent bargains privately and we also have used caravan finder. I think that this thread could attempt to put a cold chill into the private sale ads. unfortunately in these times, there are a lot of caravan owners that want to offload their caravan due to the financial atmosphere. All you have to do is to be careful and do your checks. Just like any dealer sale really.

Isnt this just an advert by Broad Lane Leisure to put people off buying form anywhere but a dealers, or am I being too cynical ?

If the story is true then frankly I have no sympathy, I would not pay in full or even leave a deposit for a caravan or any other item that I had not inspected and was satisfied with, some people, I am afraid deserve all that they get.

Isnt this just an advert by Broad Lane Leisure to put people off buying form anywhere but a dealers, or am I being too cynical ?

I have always found Broad Lane to be very straight and honest, as, I am sure, have many others. I am sure that this is all true.

I still have absolutely no sympathy with them!

Edited by jks

REALLY. ..... bit harsh for gods sake, they may have been foolish, nieve etc, " but they get what they deserve "

hang your head in shame

" A fool and his money. .........." as the saying go's

I have always found Broad Lane to be very straight and honest, as, I am sure, have many others. I am sure that this is all true.

I still have absolutely no sympathy with them!

Me being cynical then . Fair enough I don't know them that's why I asked the question.

I feel this thread is taking an odd turn whereby some members are starting to blame the victims and even the op for possible commercial interests. Maybe it's possible to put cynicism on ice for a minute, thank the op for highlighting this scam and expressing sympathy with the victim who are out of pocket by some £3000. Yes they could have been wiser but let's not forget who the real crooks are here.

Edited by sprite

Volvo XC70 followed by a 2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Verona