First Forray Into Holland From S.yorks

I'm looking at going to Holland with the caravan for the first time next year (2013) in the school holidays. We're hoping to find somewhere family friendly, (2 adults and one 6 year old) non-naturist, with lakeside or river campint, or poss beach, and probably take bikes. Neither I nor my family have any real previous experience of Holland so would love some pointers on

a) worthwhile areas that meet our criteria,

B) any sites you could recommend,

or c) best websites to search for Holland,

and

d) any top-tips about camping and motoring in Holland. so far, we've only toured in UK, although as a kid, my family took us to France - but that was a LONG time ago now!

if you have experienced travelling from anywhere near South Yorkshire to Holland by Hull-Zeeb' or Rotterdam - or instead travelling to the south and getting channel ferry or Eurotunnel, what works best. in terms of comparative cost/convenience.

Thanks

Much the same as us this year, only done the UK with 2 children (3 and 7) We travelled from Hull to Rotterdam to Holland. Far far easier then the trek down south and then through Europe. TBH cost isn't that much different when you factor everything in either.

We stayed here:

http://www. duinrell. com/, its only 45mins from the port and not far from the beach. I can't comment on other sites but somebody else probably could. Its just under an hour to Amsterdam park and ride at the Olympic Stadium and Den Haag is accessable via the bus stop at the park. Don't go for the most basic pitch as they are quite tight fitting.

Make sure you book breakfast as its briliant, evening meal is quite expensive and the Costa does sarnies at a very good price. Be careful what you drink as well because the white van man in front of us got pulled by the Dutch police for being over the limit as we left the port.

Our best holiday yet and the most stress free! 45mins to Hull then 45mins to the site.

Ford Mondeo TDCi 2005 and Sterling Voyager 500L 1997

:)

Living in the East Riding my advice would be to take the Hull - Rotterdam ferry, preferably on a Saturday sailing where the caravan should be free. The M18/M62 should be a doddle on a Saturday afternoon compared to a drive to Harwich or Dover. Book through one of the clubs rather than direct with P&O to get the best deal, but you may have to include one night on a site for the deal to be classed as a "package". On your outward journey, have a full meal at home before you leave and eat a snack on board for your evening food. Book and pay in advance for breakfast. On the return I would book and pay in advance for the evening meal and breakfast. I do not think the cost of both meals combined is excessive.

I have no experience of Duinrell, but have stayed in Arnhem, near Venlo, near Gouda, Apeldoorn, Roermond and Valkenburg. My favourite area would be the Hoge Veluwe National Park to the north of Arnhem. This is not the Holland of canals and dykes, but they are not far away. Camping Vakantiepark De Zanding near Otterlo is ideally placed for cycling into and around the park, plus the area has excellent safe cycling routes in all directions. We have stayed here at the end of August, when it was peaceful and quiet. Remember the Dutch have different school holidays to us and they tend to start their Autumn term around the middle of August.

Hope this is a start for you, and use the internet for other searches. It is a great resource. When we first visited the Netherlands in 1985 it was a bit pot-luck as to what we found, but the country and people have never disappointed us.

John.

Definitely the Hull - Rotterdam weekend night time crossing (Some sailings caravans go free) and, 45 minutes from Rotterdam port Delfse Hout site. This is 5 minutes off A13 and a 10 minute walk from the lovely town of Delft and is central for most of Southern Holland. We go to the C&CC rally there every year in April. Good luck, agzy

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

As mentioned the Hull route is worth a look. Be warned that you are visiting Holland during their school holidays as well, so things will be busy and dare I say, expensive. Holland is a not a cheap country at the best of times and during high season things can get, at least to us, ridiculous. Up to 50 euros per night for campsites is something I refuse to pay anymore. Eating out is also expensive, even Febo's have gone up in price, much to my now grown up kids chagrin. We lived there for a number of years in the 80's and then it was a lovely place to stay, now especially the areas around Amsterdam have become over crowded and the city of Amsterdam is very seedy nowadays. If you want to see the real Holland get away from the Amsterdam - Den Haag areas and head either south, north or east. Also be aware the Dutch feel they are a very important race in Europe (do not know why) and can be quite aggressive. If a mistake is made it is always your fault. Again this is a change we have noticed developing over the last 30 years and is a bit of a shame as underneath they are good people. I regret it is not a country we visit anymore for many of the above reasons, but price being the most important as we are now pensioners.

Volvo V70 and Cristall Samoa 450

Definitely the Hull - Rotterdam weekend night time crossing (Some sailings caravans go free) and, 45 minutes from Rotterdam port Delfse Hout site. This is 5 minutes off A13 and a 10 minute walk from the lovely town of Delft and is central for most of Southern Holland. We go to the C&CC rally there every year in April. Good luck, agzy

I'm with you on this one. ....great for the flower festivals and the fact hat the little train runs from the site into town all day. ..

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Tip for the Hull ferry: have a good lunch midday, then take your own sarnies on board and eat them in your cabin. Pre-book breakfast, as advised earlier, it is good value and sets you up for your trip to wherever.

can't advise much on sites, only been to one (see review, Eindhoven)

Roads are very good, even minor ones. Take care in towns and villages, there are lots of cyclists who have their own road crossings, and buses have priority when pulling out for a stop, so slow down if you see one!

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Tip for the Hull ferry: have a good lunch midday, then take your own sarnies on board and eat them in your cabin.

We've not had any problems from the staff on board when eating our own sandwiches in one of the lounges, although we always check first. Did it this year in the Skylounge on the Rotterdam boat. Bought a beer to go with the sandwiches, but be warned the drinks on board are not cheap.

One other thing to remember, we always see the ferry crossing from Hull as part of the holiday, so for us we can relax within 30 miles of leaving home. You'll just have to travel 60 miles from the Sheffield area to get the same feeling.

John.

We have been toHolland twice with the caravan once in 2010 to near Arnhem and 2011 near to Valkenburg and Maastrict, If you go here and look at the end of those 2 trips you will see details of the Sites which were both excellent. Holland is a lovely very friendly Country.

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Some very good advice posted above. We went to Holland last year and we stayed at 2 different sites, the first was Camping Moelengroet which was just outside Alkmaar. It was a good site, convenient for cycling to Alkmaar and also the beach which was about 6 or 7 miles away. Long expanses of golden sand supplemented by glorius sunshine. The terrain was flat so the cycling was easy. We arrived in Alkmaar around mid August, it was the end of their "High Season" and the site were accepting Camping Cheques, we didn't use them as we had to pay extra for he kids, the tariff was about 23 euros a night. I booked this site direct over the telephone as nearly all the Dutch speak excellent english. ( I have reviewed this site on this forum)

The second week was spent near Eindhoven, we booked this through the Caravan Club but we ended up staying a few extra days which we sorted out with the site directly. I deliberately booked the sites in this order as both sites had different " peak periods" and we managed to get lower rates in both places. As has been said, pitch fees can be eye watering so if you can be flexible there are big savings to be had.

The weather was great, the people were great, but be warned Holland is expensive.

We visited Delft, Arnhem, Alkmaar and a few places around the Zeider Zee, but we didn't do Amsterdam - wasn't sure the kids were ready.

I have friends who have been to Duinrell albeit they stayed in a "Static Caravan/Cabin", they were well impressed and went back a second time.

I would definitely recommend Holland.

M

I could suggest De Krakeling on the edge of Ziest east of Utrecht. It is in woodland/forests, is fairly flat so good for cycling, and has all the facilities you would need. It's web page (www. dekrakeling. nl) says it has 350 tourist places which is perhaps a bit of truth economy as may of them are touring caravans that don't move!

From there you can cycle to the railway station that serves Ziest and get trains to Utrecht and through to Amsterdam or Rotterdam. You can also travel into the Gelderland in the east of Holland which is their only high ground an where they breed the beautiful Gelderlander horses often seen pulling hearses in the UK.

Also consider Camping Terspegelt (www. terspegelt. nl) at Eersel near the southern border not far from Eindhoven. Again a well appointed site but, as others have said, don't expect cheap - nothing is cheap in Holland. From there you can visit Eindhoven (the home of the Philips empire) and the Evoluon living museum to technology.

When we travelled we (from beautiful downtown Harrogate) we went via Dover-Dunkerque and up the (free) motorways of Belgium and Holland. It may be a long way but given you can get a return crossing for well less than £80 compare that against the cost of Hull-Rotterdam or Felixstowe-Rotterdam and it may be cheaper.

In Holland Amsterdam is obviously worth visiting but Rotterdam is very impersonal. Also look at Alkmaar and the seaside in that area, the beautiful town of Dordrecht near Rotterdam, and the World Heritage site (windmills) at Kinderdijk. You will have heard of Delft pottery but (surprisingly) it is tucked away in a back street and poorly signposted in the town. You will also know of Edam cheese but like Delft pottery it is a bit hidden behind it's bigger neighbour Volendam. A drive across the sea barrage between Lelystad and Enkhuizen is quite exciting - and free!

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville