Will It Get Us There

pete.b

Brian I and myself believe this warrants a topic of its own so I have copied it over. I do hope one or two of you will give him some help.

This post is by BRIGHTREDROVER and has just been copied by pete. b

Thanks

brightredrover Yesterday, 08:23 PM IP: 195. 93. 33. 10 | Post #59|

New to the board

Group: Approved Member

Member No.: 377

Warn: (0%)

We only have a 2003 Rover 45 and pull a Sterling Europa 460c. (1997)

It is our first caravan and when we got our car, we had no inteniton of pulling a van.

We are changing next year but in the meantime have booked trips down to Spain in Aug and Royan in June.

WILL IT GET US THERE????????

According to the first dealer we spoke to, it won't! He told us not to bother buying a caravan with our Car. ..

We have been away for a couple off weekends at the end of last year when we bought it and it pulls fine to say it is not ideal. Could get it held at late 50's / 60 mph.

Volvo

Guest john1215

Do you know what the cars kerbside weight is - This site may help:- http://www. cuddles. abelgratis. net/rover. htm. Does anyone know the max weight of the Sterling Europa 460C? The Sterling website shows recent model 460's to have a Max weight as 1250 kgs.

To save anyone checking. Using the weight provided by Sterling and the kerbside weights on the above website, none of the Rover 45 models seem heavy enough to tow the Sterling safely (85%). The caravan that brightredrover has may be a different weight depending on its year.

john1215

Which Rover 45 are we talking about. Depending on engine size kerbweights vary from 1100kgs to 1265kgs. Sterling Europa 460nt or 460mb 1999 weigh in at MTPLM of 1100kgs and an MIRO of 850kgs.

Therefore depending on the engine size and providing a Europa 460C has an MTPLM of 1100kgs we have towing ratios ranging from around 87% for the diesel and 2. 0 petrol, up to 100% for the smaller engined variants.

So it all depends on the engine size. :unsure:

Frank

Thanks for the advice. The Sterling is 850 MIRO and the engine is a 1. 6.

We know it is not ideal but we believe we should be OK. We were mainly worried that it could pack up half way there but we will be well insured if that is the case. We are breaking the trip up well and taking 3 full days to get there so lots of breaks to give the car a break.

We know that it will be a heavy pull but will take it steady and keep luggage etc to a minimum.

Would love someone to tell us that it should be fine!!!!!!

The kerbweight of the Rover 45 1. 6 is given as 1100kgs so if you loaded the caravan to its MTPLM of 1100kgs,the ratio is 100% and is not recommended.

What is your cars towing limit as specified by Rover. You should find it in the drivers handbook. If you could keep the vans weight down to between 900kgs and 950kgs and this is below the towing limit,you can put any other gear in the car. However remember than the total train weight and gross weight of the car must not exceed Rovers limits.

It is not a recommended solution but it should be stable. :unsure:

Sorry if it is not what you want to hear,but you can't alter the facts.

Frank

the towing limit of rover is 1000kg. and the train weight is 2640kg.

I appreciate the honesty, being complete novices, we need your advice.

We will have roof bars and a box and know that most of the luggage will have to go in the car. The kids are only tiny so do not weigh much so we should be well under the limit in the car.

Again, We know it is not ideal but we are going to go for it and take it really steady. We have booked 3 stopovers en toute.

We can have a new car through work in March 06 so next year will be far better!

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Don't forget the European requirements of spare bulbs,first aid kit and warning triangle. Make sure that car and van tyres are correctly inflated and you have spare wheel and jack for the van (car as well of course).Are you a member of the Caravn Club?If not if you go to their website you can download help on various topics associated with caravanning. :)

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/default. htm

Click on 'Practical Help'

Good Luck,

Frank

i may be wrong on this, but i'm sure in the handbook for my car it says you need to deduct the weight of luggage etc,from the towing weight.

so by adding a roof box you would be reducing the towable weight even further???

apologies if i am totally of the mark.

ary

Thanks for the advice.   The Sterling is 850 MIRO and the engine is a 1. 6.

We know it is not ideal but we believe we should be OK.   We were mainly worried that it could pack up half way there but we will be well insured if that is the case.   We are breaking the trip up well and taking 3 full days to get there so lots of breaks to give the car a break.

We know that it will be a heavy pull but will take it steady and keep luggage etc to a minimum.

4653[/snapback]

Last time we went to France we broke down at the start of our homeward journey, and my car was well up to the trip but anything can wrong, as in my case the water pump failed and no compatible parts available, but thankfully we had taken out Red Pennant breakdown cover with the CC. Saved around £4500 for the return trip ie, road tolls, port and ferry changes, and the cost of 3 piggy back rides on breakdown trucks over there and here on our return to Blighty. Very reasonable price for the whole year and I think essential!! At least I have a better tow vehicle now.

Hope you have a great time and do not encounter any trouble with the car but in the unfortunate event the CC will sort everything out for you immediately! I cant praise the service we recieved from the CC enough.

Regards

Mark

Guest john1215
Thanks for the advice.   The Sterling is 850 MIRO and the engine is a 1. 6.

We know it is not ideal but we believe we should be OK.   We were mainly worried that it could pack up half way there but we will be well insured if that is the case.   We are breaking the trip up well and taking 3 full days to get there so lots of breaks to give the car a break.

4653[/snapback]

On the insurance front, apologies if I'm teaching egg sucking but have you informed your car insurance company that you are towing a caravan, if not you might not be covered.

john1215

i may  be wrong on this, but i'm sure in the handbook for my car it says you need to deduct the weight of luggage etc,from the towing weight.

so by adding a roof box you would be reducing the towable weight even further???

apologies if i am totally of the mark.

ary

5678[/snapback]

Hi ary,

The permitted train weight is 2640kgs, 1000kgs for trailer and the kerbweight of the Rover is 1100kgs which may include the driver. This leaves 540kgs for passengers and luggage in the car,and there is something in the order of at least 100kgs available for equipment in the caravan. Even if the cars kerbweight does not include the driver,2 adults at say 75kgs each and 2 small children at 35kgs each will still leave over 400kgs for luggage and equipment.

It is not the ideal outfit but should be stable and legal,although it certainly won't break any land speed records. :)

Frank

Brightredrover

It seems to me that you would be doing it by the skin of your teeth. Our previous van was a Sterling Europa 460. We towed it initially with a Peugeot 405 GLDT and whilst we were towing near to 100% at least the engine was a turbo diesel which had quite a bit of grunt. The first caravan, many years ago, was a 10ft Ace Airstream which was pretty light and our first towcar was a 1300 Vauxhall Viva which was a terrible tow car, in fact it was an awful car!! My point is that I was not happy towing for short distances with that combination. You don't say whether you have actually towed the van with this car. My advice would be to give it a test tow of 200 miles. Add some weight to the car and van to get some idea what it feels like. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I don't think I would want to tow that combination all the way to Spain.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Thanks for the advice. We have had a look at whattowcar and it rates the match at 85% and moderate.

Like we keep saying, we know it is not ideal but until we get a new car next year we will go for it,

We have towed the van twice, around 150 miles each way both times with no probs whatsoever. We have no difficulty holding it in the late 50's and can hold it to early 60's in 5th gear on a flat road.

we are going to go for it anyway, Thanks again for the advice.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to give an update on this topic which was started in January.

We were concerned after all of the good advice on here so we upgraded to another Rover 45 but a 2litre TD. we were advised that this would be great for towing our van.

Last week we went down to Royan in South West France and what a difference we felt. You could not feel the van on the back of the car. We travelled at a steady 65 / 70mph all of the way there evern up the hills!!!!! Economy wise, a tank full (approx 50 euros) took me at least 300 miles.

Thanks again for the advice.

Hello Brightredrover

I was reading this post for the first time. .and was about to add

Best wishes. .. you have a big heart I could not have done it especially with children

onboard. . then I read your latest posting. . lol

Thank god you went for the bigger engine. .

Happy Caravanning

TommyG

Guest Hobbybod

Only picked up on this thread B-R-R;

You should be perfectly OK with the diesel version now, as you surmise. A good move. Is it still Bright Red or do you need to change your 'name'?? :D

Many happy, and safe miles, of towing.

Only picked up on this thread B-R-R;

You should be perfectly OK with the diesel version now, as you surmise. A good move.   Is it still Bright Red or do you need to change your 'name'??  :D

Many happy, and safe miles, of towing.

27938[/snapback]

Hobbybod good point ! strictly speaking we are now Tempest Grey Rover but thats a mouth full !!!! We did buy a V reg rover 200 before we went away as a second car and its bright red so the name is still relevant !!!!!!

Itching for the next trip now :D

Hobbybod good point ! strictly speaking we are now Tempest Grey Rover but thats a mouth full !!!! We did buy a V reg  rover 200 before we went away as a second car and its bright red so the name is still relevant !!!!!!

Itching for the next trip now  :D

27940[/snapback]

Don't you just love a happy ending.

Mike