BaronRidgeback

Refitting Front Locker Door?

Currently enjoying the sun in Hampshire's New Forest. Well I was until the front locker door fell off of our 2006 Hobby 560 UF!

Anyone had to refit one? It seems to me that it is held in place by a U shaped rubber set in an ally channel which in turn is held in place by a further figure of 8 rubber. Our door has slipped out of the U shaped rubber.

Any suggestion gratefully recieved before I get the gaffer tape out to get us home!

Thanks for the very swift reply!

The existing seal (and indeed the ally channel) appear good with no splits or tear. It even feels pliable still.

Regardless, it's the putting back together bit that is foxing me.

You website suggestion my yet help me on another unrelated matter so thank you for this.

Did it fall out in your hand whilst being opened or drop out on it's own?

Some windows are removed by holding totally upright to release them from the frame. As they are lowered they hold into place.

Have you tried to put it back held in this position?

It could be it must be either totally closed or totally open to connect?

The door fell out of its own accord while the door was closed down but not engaged in the aperture, it literally slipped out of its top hinge channel, the rubber following seconds later.

It is possible it could have been working loose over a period of time unnoticed as closing and securing the door has become more tricky over the last 12 months or so.

I would expect it will fit back by pushing in from the same position then.

The rubber must be worn in the u channel.

Can you vist a dealer to ask their fitter for advice on a refit of rubber and or door?

All sorted. For a full description and some photos, see my post on The Hobby Owners Club Forum -

http://s4. zetaboards. com/Hobby_Owners_Club/topic/9701129/1/ You might have to sign up to get access to this post, i'm really not sure but its no hassle if you do.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. Whilst they may not have given me the answer, they did make me stop and think about the bigger picture!

On 26/09/2012 at 19:13, BaronRidgeback said:

All sorted. For a full description and some photos, see my post on The Hobby Owners Club Forum -

http://s4. zetaboards. com/Hobby_Owners_Club/topic/9701129/1/ You might have to sign up to get access to this post, i'm really not sure but its no hassle if you do.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. Whilst they may not have given me the answer, they did make me stop and think about the bigger picture!

Hi,

I've had the same problem but the forum you mention can't be accessed. It continually says my application is awaiting moderation.

Any chance you could reply on this forum as to how you solved the problem?

Do bear in mind this thread is 7 years old and that the Baron was last on this forum 5 years ago. So he/she may never get to reply to your  query.

And :welcome:to a great forum.

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

Do bear in mind this thread is 7 years old and that the Baron was last on this forum 5 years ago. So he/she may never get to reply to your  query.

And :welcome:to a great forum.

Thanks for the welcome 👍

I did eventually notice that the post was made in 2012 but you never know.

Cheers

No problem!

If you click on a persons avatar (yours is a J and mine is a caravan) that takes you to that persons profile where you can see where they came from, their car, caravan details, hobbies, when they joined, when they were last on the forum and their credit card PIN.

Well............almost all of those.

The good news is the OPs post is still online so I'll post it here to help others

Well, front gas locker door is back in place and now closes and locks better than I have ever known it to!

I won't pretend it was easy to do, it wasn't - took best part of half the day to get it right. If i ever have to do another though, I reckon I could now do it in under an hour. Here follows an attempt to explain how to do it:

From the caravan, remove the rubber hinge and attached white aluminium hinge door mount piece (here after refered to as "Aly door mount" and see first photo) by removing the end screw that does indeed allow removal of the stop end cap (see Copper's post above - thank you Copper! and see also last photo that shows end cap and end screw). This allows you to now work in the comfort of your garage or front room to replace the Aly door mount onto the door rather than trying to manhandle the cumbersome door back into position onto the caravan.

Thoroughly clean the rubber gasket that would sit between the door and the white aly door mount, and set aside.

At this point be sure to be handling the door on a piece of carpet or similar to prevent superficial scratch damage to your door and remember that the door is made of plastic and so will stand only so much pushing and shoving described below before cracking - just be careful.

Now note that the hinge edge of the plastic locker door has a step in it (see second photo). This will cause you pain and trouble as it hinders the re-application of the gasket over the top. Now here is the trick - Take some strong but small diameter string / twine, tie a loop at one end and fit it over the metal locking rod at one end. Run the string to the hinge side of the door and hook it under the piece of unfixed plastic found at the end; run the string along the step in the plastic to the other end of the door, tuck it under the unfixed plastic at this end and leave yourself a foot or two hanging free or tied off onto the locking rod. You will be tugging on this soon!

Now place the cleaned gasket onto the door over the top of the string taking care that the string sits in the step without being pinched under the rubber. Now lubricate the rubber on its outside faces with silicone spray.

Place the aly door mount onto the door and press it on firmly so that it will hold itself in place but still requires fully fitting. You will note that due to its shape and that of the locker door, you will not be pushing it on square but at a bit of an angle.

On the outside face of the door begining at one end, start teasing the rubber up into the aly door mount. Be sure to keep checking that the aly door mount remains firm along its entire length as you do this. I used a shatterproof ruler to assit with this as unless you are tough enough, your fingernails will be killing you before the job is done!

Now this next bit takes a lot of care and if you get it wrong you will have to pull the aly door mount right off and reset the rubber. Turn your attention to the inside face of the door - again tease the rubber gasket into the aly door mount but be very careful not to let the rubber slip into the step. To help you avoid this, leave the rubber showing outside the ally mount by about 2mm. Once achieved along the entire length or if you are careful working as you go, press the aly door mount further onto the door. Only now can you tuck the last bit of rubber into the aly door mount.

The aly door mount will appear almost fully on now but the rubber will likely not be fully seated correctly. To be sure it is, we now pull the string out from underneath the rubber along the length of the door. This is quite a hard pull and if your string is not up to it could easily break. As you pull the string out, keep firm pressure on the aly door mount, even hitting it with the palm of your hand to be sure it is knocked fully home as you go.

The door is technically now ready to re-fit back onto the caravan. I took the view that since the door fell out in the first place, it could happen again. So I added screw fixings to the inside face of the aly door mount using a 2.5mm pilot drill and No8 pan head x 8mm long stainless steel screws x 5no. If you do this, take care to mount them low enough so they don't snag the rest of the hinge mount fixed to the caravan (see last photo that shows these screws fitted - you might want to omit the end screws as these do pinch on the door seal a little which may cause wear in time, it closes fine though without obvious strain).

I hope the above makes some sense and so is of help. I am cetainly happy to have saved a potential £285!

llrides & Copper - thanks for your inputs.

b4.jpeg

b5.jpeg

b6.jpeg

Wow, that's so kind of you to take the time to reply, thank you. 

Will have a go next time we're at the caravan.

Thanks.