Are Tourism Authorities Doing Enough To Promote Camping And Caravanning Within Gb And Ireland?

Are we The Forgotten Tourists?

I live in Ireland and for the past two years have taken my family to France for our summer holidays. However, this year we decided to stay at home and toured Ireland. Mainly my reason for staying at home was the increasingly expensive cost of getting ferries to GB and / or France.

Having experienced some of the wonderful sights (and sites) within Ireland and GB I believe that we have a lot to offer from a tourism perspective. Unfortunately, I believe that Ferry costs across the Irish Sea (both directions) are somewhat prohibitive.

Should Tourism Authorities being doing more to help lobby ferry companies that operate across the Irish Sea to drive down travel costs?

I understand from similar posts that Campers and Caravanners who live in GB are equally put off travelling with their Units to Ireland because of the cost of ferry. Indeed, one poster commented that they could travel to Calais 3 to 4 times for the same price that it would cost to travel across the Irish Sea.

Do members feel that Tourism Authorities are currently doing enough to support and promote Campers and Caravanners who wish to travel between Ireland and GB for both short breaks and longer holidays?

Frequently we read and hear statistics about number of flights, cruise ships, hotel occupancy rates etc. .. but rarely do I hear tourism reports about the passion that is Camping and Caravanning.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that this 'oversight' is a little unjust?

Thanks in advance for reading.

NikonPhotoBro

Edited by Lefthand Down
font reduced

Sterling Europa 565 pulled by an XC90 D5 Ocean Race

Hi Bro,

I feel that the business we are in never has its popularity recognised and many people look on us as cheapskates who hold up traffic and cant afford trips abroad. Of course this is untrue mostly and we should do more to promote carvanning to the agencies that are in charge of the holiday advertising budget and others with influence. Until they believe then we have no chance of exerting pressure on the ferry companies or getting a meaningfull amount spent on advertising.

I did write to my new local MP telling him of the advantages of caravanning and how much we put into local economies and he wrote back telling me he knew as he is a caravanner so I was pushing at an open door there,

Regards,

Ian

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Perhaps the first step is to alter the whole image of caravanning. Let's be honest, towing a caravan is not cool and is therefore regarded, probably with some accuracy, as something 'old' people do. Old in this case meaning 40+. It is not something young people do unless they are in a VW camper, (which is perceived as cool) and the reality is very few youngsters can afford one of them.

Back to the manufacturers to start producing reasonably priced - no, cheap - caravans and camper vans that look whatever the current word is for something this market will buy.

Once the image is changed then maybe the various forms of camping can be promoted as something that isn't just an excuse for elderly relatives to go off blocking the main roads.

2006 Ford Transit 'day-van' in a delicate shade of ex-RAC orange.

2006 Elddis Avante 636 TA in off-white - usually.

No Land Rovers at the moment.

The ferry companies have to make a profit too.

Our ferry has a fuel bill of approximately £20,000 a day, then there are crew wages not too mention support staff ashore etc etc.

The ferry companies also have to invest in the future and plan to build / buy newer ships and at today's prices even to build a small passenger ferry you wouldn't see much change from £100 million.

The ferry companies are not run as a charity like everyone one else in business they want to make a profit.

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona

The ferry companies have to make a profit too.

Our ferry has a fuel bill of approximately £20,000 a day, then there are crew wages not too mention support staff ashore etc etc.

The ferry companies also have to invest in the future and plan to build / buy newer ships and at today's prices even to build a small passenger ferry you wouldn't see much change from £100 million.

The ferry companies are not run as a charity like everyone one else in business they want to make a profit.

Stena uses 2 very old ferrys which have been painted up a bit recently on the Liverpool to Belfast route, recently they were shown on Undercover Boss on TV and it said the crews are paid international wage of £2-50 per hour and not the British minium wage.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Don't believe everything you see on the TV.

That rate referred to the Filipinos on the ships going to Holland not on the Irish Sea ships which are all British crewed.

Edit The Stena Mersey & Stena Lagan are not that old. Stena have just bought them as previously they were on charter so now Stena have to pay for all running costs were previously the owners might have been covering some costs.

Edited by CBBC

Don't believe everything you see on the TV.

That rate referred to the Filipinos on the ships going to Holland not on the Irish Sea ships which are all British crewed.

Edit The Stena Mersey & Stena Lagan are not that old. Stena have just bought them as previously they were on charter so now Stena have to pay for all running costs were previously the owners might have been covering some costs.

Have crossed before and these are the same boats used by at least 2 previous opperators.

Many of the crew had foriegn acents, probably east Europeon, in the past all had Irish acents.

This is a very busy route and goes full when we were on this year.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Yes it may be full in the summer but ships run all year, so ferry operators may make their profits in the summer then struggle to cover costs in the winter months.

The Lagan & the Mersey came into service in 2005 so they are not old ships.