Is The Cost Of Getting From The Emerald Isle To Gb And France By Ferry Excessive?

HI,

Perhaps an emotive question, or maybe just self interest but I live on the beautiful Island of Ireland. The past two years I have travelled to France on holiday towing my caravan. This year we decided to stay on the Emerald Isle rather than travel abroad.

Part of the reason for staying at home was the cost of ferry travel to both GB and/or France. This combined with Tesco's decision to reduce the exchange rate of vouchers from 4x to 3x, as well as Stena Line decision to cap the amount of Tesco vouchers that can be used for its crossings.

Am I the only grouch on the island, or does anyone else feel that caravanners on the Emerald Isle are being discouraged from travelling to GB and/or France by excessive ferry costs?

I have to say, having stayed at home this year and toured Co Kerry and Connemara (and seen the beauty the that is the Ring of Kerry), if we can strike a deal with the French that would allow us Islanders to import some of their weather I think we may be in a strong position to reduce our reliance on the Ferry companies.

Just think of the extra money that could be spent on Guinness and Whiskey. ..

Who do we need to talk to to get this sorted? :ph34r:

Sterling Europa 565 pulled by an XC90 D5 Ocean Race

Hi

We had fancied Ireland last year for a month or so, but the shipping was £450 return - amazingly, the same with all operators. We can have 3 or 4 Calais trips for that, so our tourism money went elsewhere.

Tesco deal does help, but for that money, we may aswell fly somewhere.

In comparison, for 300 euro, we could sail from Barcelona to Rome, be on the ship 18 hours. ......

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

The clue about the rainfall in Ireland is in it's normal description as "the emerald isle".

Now if only we could find a way of floating it down next to Portugal :)

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

Kontiki, good point wel made. It is of course right that the ferry cost Pplies equally to those wishing to travel to the Emerald Idle as well as from it.

Think that there is an issue for Irish Tourism authorities when tourists, like you, as dissuaded from travelling to Ireland because of ferry cost. Indeed, it is alarming that you can travel to Calais for a fraction of the price. Although I accept that supply and demand will be a factor. Thanks for your reply.

Hi

We had fancied Ireland last year for a month or so, but the shipping was £450 return - amazingly, the same with all operators. We can have 3 or 4 Calais trips for that, so our tourism money went elsewhere.

Tesco deal does help, but for that money, we may aswell fly somewhere.

In comparison, for 300 euro, we could sail from Barcelona to Rome, be on the ship 18 hours. ......

Russell

Lol, maybe we could get a few of those ferries to tie a big rope around the island and tug us closer towards Portugal/Spain eh?

The clue about the rainfall in Ireland is in it's normal description as "the emerald isle".

Now if only we could find a way of floating it down next to Portugal :)

Just a thought, but is there an option of storing your caravan somewhere near the ferry port (Holyhead for example) so you only have to bring your vehicle over from Ireland. .. pick your van up and head off from there?

Obviously there are draw backs, but may be you could say set 2013 aside to "do" the UK and Continent, base your van in the UK for 12 months and plan several UK and Continent trips in that 12 month period.

FT

2006 Landrover Freelander HSE TD4 (remapped) + 2011 Sterling Celebration 550
No trees were harmed by this message, but several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

my blog. ..Caravan Chronicles Twitter: @CaravanChron

We were going to travel to Clonell to a reunion with old comrades, but at over £300 for the crossing decided to give it a miss.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I know that there are some people who store their caravans in France for use during summer hols. Unfortunately we use ours frequently throughout the year attending C&CC meets and other rallies, so storing the van remotely would not suit our needs.

I reckon a better solution would be for the ferry companies to get with this austerity programme and start to reduce costs to match the reductions in travellers' disposable income. I guess I'll be whistling quite a while waiting on that to happen though.

In the meantime I might just have to holiday at home. Maybe if we all did likewise then the message would be clearer as empty ferries don't make money. ..

Just a thought, but is there an option of storing your caravan somewhere near the ferry port (Holyhead for example) so you only have to bring your vehicle over from Ireland. .. pick your van up and head off from there?

Obviously there are draw backs, but may be you could say set 2013 aside to "do" the UK and Continent, base your van in the UK for 12 months and plan several UK and Continent trips in that 12 month period.

FT

We have family and Ireland find it expensive just for the car, to take caravan is out of this world for us.

Stena appear to have the routes sown up on price other opperaters to me just follow Stena prices.

I think a problem is with a caravan you can't go on the car deck and end up taking the place of a HGV.

We take the car on the Liverpool to Belfast route daytime, if you use it take food with you if you on a budget for the 8 hour crossing. The only thing they give for nothing is the Wi-Fi, most surprised at that, maybe they not found a way to get payment.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Am I the only grouch on the island, or does anyone else feel that caravanners on the Emerald Isle are being discouraged from travelling to GB and/or France by excessive ferry costs?

:ph34r:

I think you could amend that to "Am I the only grouch, or does anyone else feel that caravanners are being discouraged from travelling by excessive ferry costs?"

Look at what it costs per mile to get to the Isle of Wight.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

I must admit, whe we were at the caravan show in Manchester at the start of the year, I picked up a brochure about visiting Ireland. I looked up a few sites and though we might have a nice 15 or 20 days touring. ... until I saw the cost of the ferry.

For the same cost of just taking the van from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire return we can have 14 days in France, including the ferry and pitches. .... guess which won!

FT

No trees were harmed by this message, but several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Poolebob,

Comment noted and accepted!

My post was made based on my own experiences and perspectives but I fully accept that it is not just Irelanders who are caught by such costs.

Maybe I've stumbled on something that will serve to truly unite these islands - a quest for fairness from ferry companies eh? This would enhance visitor numbers each way, which in turn will allow for an increased awareness of cultural differences. Surely that is enough for the tourism authorities on both sides of the channel to lend their backing and support. ..lol

I think you could amend that to "Am I the only grouch, or does anyone else feel that caravanners are being discouraged from travelling by excessive ferry costs?"

Look at what it costs per mile to get to the Isle of Wight.

poolebob

I think it would take some lobbying by one of the big two clubs to get a major percentage discount for their members. .... then when they see the traffic levels, maybe that will have an effect.

Other than that. ... you would be battling against "the corporate dollar" and unlikely to get anywhere.

FT

As said we would love to visit Ireland as I have many friends over there that served with me, but the price of the ferry is really off putting. We were crossing from Fishguard to Rossclare using the CC but could not justify the cost of the ferry and also wet weather.

Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 3. 0L auto

Lunar Delta TI

Sorry to hear that you didn't get to visit Ireland. Not only would you have got to meet your friends but you'd also have got to see some fantastic sights and meet some very welcoming strangers, as well as have a wee pint of the black stuff. Hopefully you'll get an opportunity to visit soon. We'll keep working on these ferry companies to get them to right size their costs. Best wishes.

As said we would love to visit Ireland as I have many friends over there that served with me, but the price of the ferry is really off putting. We were crossing from Fishguard to Rossclare using the CC but could not justify the cost of the ferry and also wet weather.

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona

I would love to bring our caravan to tour Ireland for a while, but at nearly £500 for the return, it's just not practical.

I just checked one company online though, and to be fair to the ferry companies, a car and caravan is still cheaper than 2 cars by about £150 and I would imagine that the logistics of getting on-board and siting a car and caravan is probably more of a pain than 2 cars would be (and takes up more space too); So by my reckoning, they're already doing caravanners a favour.

Well IF you do get to resolve the Ireland ferry problem (and I wish you well with that ) perhaps you would then like to address the problem with the Isle of man steam racket company. which is also a rip off, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask

kot

pigs

Well IF you do get to resolve the Ireland ferry problem (and I wish you well with that ) perhaps you would then like to address the problem with the Isle of man steam racket company. which is also a rip off, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask

kot

pigs

I thought they did not carry caravans as the IOM Government did not allow caravans to land.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

I thought they did not carry caravans as the IOM Government did not allow caravans to land.

There are sites on the iom that take campers caravans and tents

Ballacottier

onchan

IOM

Ballamoar farm

Ballaugh

IOM

there are others

kot

pigs

This is by no means a new complaint. I used to live in Belfast, still have family there, and owned a motor caravan. Even as far back as I can remember the fare from Larne to Stranrear was always about four times the fare to Calais. It was worse for the people living in N. Ireland as the return fare from there to Scotland was always more than the same journy booked the other direction in England.

Since living in England I have been back with the caravan once, I can't justify the expence of going again.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

• 2 years later...

Also at the show in Manchester for the last 2 years were the Irish tourist board. They have leaflets which allow car,caravan and 2 adults to travel via Irish Ferries from Holyhead/Dublin for £99 each way. Not available during July/August but excellent value if able to travel outside this period. Booking would have to be made by end of March. So if there again next year and one is flexible with dates then it is great value.

Ray